Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 PM

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/S...SCCAM3.6LC.htm??

Last edited by irishlsxer; 01-04-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
I really haven't done all the research yet, as I'm no where near that point. The factory GM ZR1 blower, Harrop, Magnacharger, Whipple, KB are all good blowers and have their own advantages and disadvantages. I'll probably just call Stielow and let him decide for me.

Heat management with turbos is a completely different thing. Turbos are very efficient, they'll make more power per boost level than any of the blowers with the right turbo(s). Air temps look good too comparatively, but managing the exhaust heat of the headers/manifolds and turbo housings requires a lot of work and thought. My Chevelle would get hot at idle with the stock hood and inner fenderwells. The air under the hood could not get out and would just get hotter and hotter, actually raising the engine temp. Removing the inner fenderwells or cracking the hood open and the engine wouldn't break 190 even in 100+ temps and a/c on at idle for 30 minutes. So it was not a radiator/fan issue, it was directly because of the turbos. And I had the headers coated, the downpipes wrapped, and bags on the turbo exhaust housings.

Under power things get even worse. These things can be addressed, but mainly because you mentioned autocross specifically it made me lean towards a regular blower. Instant torque will be better and easier to modulate on a tight course in my opinion.
Watching Camaro xv come along makes me just want to give up and buy something turn key from Thomson hahaa

Last edited by irishlsxer; 01-04-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM

would adjustable boost from twins and turning it down to a nice low setting pre-track be enough to forgo any heat issues?

Let me just say that my main concern through all this is really temps on everything..

And I know ultimately there's no magic pill.

Last edited by irishlsxer; 01-05-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 AM

Thats the beauty of turbo stuff, the extreme adjustability.

To expand on the cooling aspect of it, basically you will need an air to air intercooler out front to keep the intake air temps in check but try to make that the only part in front of the radiator. If you try to put an oil cooler, trans cooler, intercooler, ps cooler out front, by the time the air reaches the radiator its pretty baked.

The key to quick transient response for an almost blower type feel, is having a well matched system. Most importantly the specs on the turbos and cam.

Ceramic coating is pretty much a gimmick. It looks nice but its so thin that it doesnt really do much. Swain tech coatings are actually thick enough to keep the heat down but the whole system needs to be thought out with emphasis on keeping the turbo piping down low in the car and proper engine compartment venting. As Jody mentioned, if there isnt any airflow, it will bake in there.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 AM

I was simply making a comment to your, holier than though, fi better than carb comment. Have fun with your already beat to death topic playing in an unrealistic build. Carry on...
Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoshark View Post
I was simply making a comment to your, holier than though, fi better than carb comment. Have fun with your already beat to death topic playing in an unrealistic build. Carry on...

What? I'm sorry I wasn't listening......

Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 AM

I wonder if we can get Stielow to start using a carb instead of FI lol
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlsxer View Post
You bring some great points. Let me be a little more specific. First off my intentions were never to autocross the car at the 1000 hp level. The mere notion of that is simply ridiculous. In fact Rarely will it ever be driven at that level, however we WILL make something very close to 1000 on pump gas just to say we did, period. I also have friends with 700-800hp cars and we all haggle each other about whos faster stoplight to stoplight, plus im planning on a few standing mile events, so occasionally it will see max boost. I confess im still on the fence about the power adder, but I dd an a&a'd Vette in the summer with just a cam'd ls2 and an upgraded radiator that makes 600whp at 9.5psi and NEVER GETS A SMIDGE HOT OR HAS ANY TROUBLE, period, so I already know that the 600-700hp range über reliably is easily doable with a centrifugal, although obviously not creating the even power throughout the range that a roots will make.

For the record, the breakdown goes something like this: 30% autocross, 40% cruiser (including some longer trips: power tour-ish type things), 20% speciality events like the Texas mile and possibly some higher speed road course and race track type stuff later on. And last, 10% show car; i don't really care about that right now. I'll probably just attend the local shows that are close and convenient. Personally when I think of people talking about regret in "driving their showcar" it mainly refers to the 20k paint job. And I'm completely avoiding that for now. I'm going to save the details for a possible build thread later, but I digress.

I definitely agree with most of what you're saying, but then again I would never build a 150k car with a carb'd motor either. So truly, to each his own. Honestly my end goal is pretty much what you said, verbatim; to build something that can handle whatever I throw at it. I guess im really trying to just bake my cake eat as much of it as i can. I'd be an idiot if I didn't agree that there will be bumps in the road along the way, but I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on it. Im just digging the ability to pick some great brains here as I go. Do you miss your car yet? I wish I'd have had enough to just dump it on yours all at once, it was way more than worth what you got for it. Then again I know i would've cringed every time I looked close at that mirror black paint after an event

Have you seen the Kenne bell liquid cooling systems? Ive talked to Jeff at Tpe there in Vegas a few times since kb started drilling cooling holes in those and he spoke highly of them
It's the 20% of the time you need to worry about. The standing mile stuff won't be a problem due to high speed operation and short duration. It's the road racing where you are all over it for long duration or hot lapping it in autocross that will be your achiles. Huge coolers on everything with that power level and how do you package them effectively? There isn't that much real estate up front on these cars.

I wouldn't build a 150k car with a carb either. If mine was 150k it would've had a fabricated intake and injection. I started building my car in 2006, things have changed a little in the meantime. The new owner is planning to inject it at some point due to his desire to have near oem cold starts and no heat soak due to modern fuels. I was done bleeding on the project and the carb served me well on and off road.

I really don't miss it, the 5+ years of build, working on it, 30+ events, and 7k street miles put out the flame.

At the end of the day, if you are trying to achieve things that haven't been done before, you are going to have to approach it differently or realize that it's just unreasonable. I don't think a 1000+ hp twin turbo car can do it all without some serious engineering. Prove me wrong...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

If you'd like to see a complete DISASTER of a twin turbo 1000+hp car try to compete...

Just watch the video of the LAMBO at OPTIMA OUSCI this year...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post

I wouldn't build a 150k car with a carb either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
If you'd like to see a complete DISASTER of a twin turbo 1000+hp car try to compete...

Just watch the video of the LAMBO at OPTIMA OUSCI this year...
Those TT Gallardo's are only good for standing miles and 60-130 blasts. That's it.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer