Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 02-18-2016, 11:46 AM

Good information Tim.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Agreed. I'm simply referring to the title of the thread, by stating this isn't a new technology. Also, there are a LOT of guys out there with a LOT more than 4500 miles on their bearing trunnion upgrades. Just don't want anyone to think the sky is falling with their trunnion upgrade they made. I have no dog in this fight, whatsoever, believe me. I will go bushings on my next build. I would have this time around, but I didn't have the coin for the CHE stuff.
I probably should've titled it differently. I believe the kit from Straub could be a game changer based on price point if it holds up as well as the CHE mod.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
I probably should've titled it differently. I believe the kit from Straub could be a game changer based on price point if it holds up as well as the CHE mod.
Yes, if the Straub stuff is legit, it will be a game changer for sure. I'm glad this discussion is here, as most people aren't aware the of the technology.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:22 AM

Here's my first take on the comparision between the 2 bushing upgrade kits:

The CHE kit uses a spiral lock clip instead of a snap ring like the Straub kit.

The CHE trunion shaft is .709 vs .625 for Straub but this does make the bushing thinner than the Straub.

I still like the fact the Straub kit has oil grooves in the shaft

Both kits rotate very smoothly with vitually no drag, I honestly cannot tell the difference in resistance between the bushings and the needle bearing, but this is with no load so that could change.

When we pressed the bushings in flush with the outside of the rocker on the Straub kit there was .025" of axial movement of the shaft, so we machined up a fixture with a .01" step in it to press the bushing past the outside and closer to center which gave us .005" axial play and also makes it so the snap ring isn't trying to control the axial movement. I would like to see this bushing about .10" wider than it is but it's not the end of the world the way it is.

Last edited by 71RS/SS396; 10-17-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:10 PM

Is the new trunion upgrade going into the whipple motor? Please keep the updates coming.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr View Post
Is the new trunion upgrade going into the whipple motor? Please keep the updates coming.
We'll see how this works out on my engine first.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:12 AM

As Greg mentioned, there's a machinist near me that trues the tips on them. In talking with him on the last motor I dropped off, he did point out the main point of failure.. the lack of oil puddling at the top of the rocker. The factory rocker doesn't have a "cup" for oil to pool into and thus somewhat starves the bearing underneath. Nate, the machinist, is using the Smith Bros. trunnions, as he is thoroughly impressed with their quality. He's right at 420$, also.. but he trues the tip.. and that includes shipping. https://instagram.com/p/BBJHMcBwGQY/
Old 02-27-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsgarage View Post
As Greg mentioned, there's a machinist near me that trues the tips on them. In talking with him on the last motor I dropped off, he did point out the main point of failure.. the lack of oil puddling at the top of the rocker. The factory rocker doesn't have a "cup" for oil to pool into and thus somewhat starves the bearing underneath. Nate, the machinist, is using the Smith Bros. trunnions, as he is thoroughly impressed with their quality. He's right at 420$, also.. but he trues the tip.. and that includes shipping. https://instagram.com/p/BBJHMcBwGQY/
That kit looks to be the same as the Straub kit. We're building a holding fixture to do the same thing to the tips of the rockers but I don't think that's why the needle bearing kits are failing.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:10 AM

Bump. Any updates?
Old 06-19-2016, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the link. I have the comp cam upgrade on my ls1 and will look into the bushing for the ls7. How long would you anticipate a bushing lasting?