Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-12-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Thankfully caught before ending up with similar results like that you encountered recently... Sorry to hear about that...
Thanks. Certainly wasn't the way I wanted to end the day, lol. Oh well, you play long enough, stuff happens. We'll get her back together for next season.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 AM

Wow! I've never had that happen. Glad you checked on this before things got really bad!
Old 07-21-2018, 07:42 PM

It is amazing how much better a car drives when it's ring gear is firmly attached to the carrier!! YUGE difference... Guess i hadn't realized just how sloppy the drive train had gotten over time. It's been bad for a while now. Can't believe all of the races I've run with it like that as well.

Also spent some quality time given so love to a few other things back there while it was on the rack. Felt some looseness in the lower control arm joints so I pulled them all and gave them a refresh. Beautiful thing about UMI Roto-Joints, 100% servicable... Each one was a 1/4 - 1/2 turn loose on the adjuster but each delrin piece looked perfect so I cleaned them up, put a layer of grease on the center piece and put them back in the arms. Pretty sure the looseness I felt was the actual control arms bolts themselves backing out just a bit. I haven't touched ANY of that stuff since I put them in almost 5 years ago now...they should be good to go for another 5 years of abuse now.

The parking brake setup needed a bit of love as well. The Stoptech setup uses an internal parking brake shoe (C6 I believe with some other GM parts thrown in) and when I put it all in I just set them up super loose. They worked but at some point one of the cables came out of the connector and a clip that holds the top of one of the shoes in place also broke. Since I was in there anyway and had a bit more time I replaced the broken clip and made sure it all went together properly. I then spent a bunch of time adjusting them and making sure each side rotated freely and tightened up with the same amount of pull on the cables. They should be good to go now as well.

Lastly, the last time I raced the car, when I put it on the trailer to bring it home, I wrapped the tie down strap around the RR flex line to the caliper. When I got home I noticed brake fluid everywhere... **eek** Thankfully, all it did was loosen the banjo bolt up when it pulled the cable back and I was able to snug the bolt back up and stop the leak. The Master cylinder was very close to being out of fluid but I put more in before ever pressing the pedal so I didn't need to bleed it again...but we did re-bleed the rear calipers to make sure all of the air was out and checked all the lines and fittings one more time for leaks. That's all good now too...

Lastly was a road trip around town in the 110 degree afternoon heat with the AC on to see how the cooling system would handle it. After figuring out the diff was MUCH better I rolled the windows up, cranked the AC and cruised around for a bit. It stayed near 180 where the stat opens up for a while but several waits at stop lights in a row got it to creeping up. A little break in traffic stopped it from climbing but the next set of stop lights had it creeping up again so I turned the AC off to see if that helped. It leveled off about 210-215 degrees, warmer than I like but not bad really...then I noticed that I hadn't turned the fans on high with my manual switch. Pretty sure the auto switch turns them on high at 215 degrees. So I hit the switch then turned the AC back on and cruised around a bit some more. It dropped back down to around 200 and stayed there...stoplights, slow speed cruising, even idling around the neighborhood a few times. I think that'll do...

The AC cooled the car right down and worked like a champ. It's had a slow oil leak for over 4 years now, every now and then I'll find green fluid under the hose where it comes out of the accumulator...I have NO IDEA how it keeps running and cooling like it does. The fan switch only works on high though... Isn't there a fix for that? Seems like I've seen others with that issue. High is fine but frankly, it could use to run a speed or two lower once the car is cooled down, even when it's 110 degrees outside.

Anyway, good to get a bunch of little things down to it, maybe now I can drive it a bit more regularly and who knows...maybe even hit a track day or two soon...
Old 07-21-2018, 09:27 PM

Glad all the little things are working, I'm sure it makes the car so much more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Anyway, good to get a bunch of little things down to it, maybe now I can drive it a bit more regularly and who knows...maybe even hit a track day or two soon...
...With the AC on?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:43 PM

Two hundred is great in Phoenix mid summer! Mine used to run 210-215 and I didn't sweat it. It's terrible for a carb and modern gas, but I never worried about the engine.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:38 PM

I did a track day at Inde Motorsports ranch this weekend and had a blast. Love my new Stoptech brakes, this is where they really show their worth.

Here is a video a friend posted after following me for a few laps Sat afternoon. I'll post my in car videos up later after I have time to get them ready. Figured this would wet your appetites for now...

https://youtu.be/AgOJuaXcdK4
Old 09-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Default Barney at Inde

Looks like you were having a good time at Inde, except for the wiggle at 2:50 and the off at 5:00(same corner?). Barney was hanging with a pretty good crowd and holding his own. What was your top speed on the straight, if you had time to notice? Thanks for the link!

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 09-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Thanks... It was a blast...

The first big wiggle was a 4th to 1st downshift... Another time in that same corner I did a 4th to 5th downshift... I think it may be time to check the shift rails on my T56. The off was caused by me braking too late as I crested the hill and lifted the rear tires causing it to wheel hop. I gathered it back up and kept on rolling though...and put my two best laps of the day down not long after.

I hit 118 mph on the straight the last few times but what was more impressive to me was I was just over 100 mph up the hill thru the wiggles after the long straight. That was a BLAST!!!
Old 09-04-2018, 02:32 PM

So this video is kind of long, some will like to watch it all, others will either want to FF to the 6:10 mark to watch some drama or the 10:50 mark to watch my fastest two laps of the day.

Had a blast running at Inde, what a great track. Loved how technical it was and especially how little there was to run into if you did happen to have an off. It is pretty easy to navigate around yet can be very difficult to really put a fast lap down, lot in the driver's hands there.

The car did fantastic, I really love the new brakes. I didn't really start testing them deep into braking zones until later on Sunday, I kind of snuck up on that as I've never driven a car on course before with this kind of stopping power. Once you realize that yes...it is going to whoa down in a hurry from just about any speed, you can REALLY drive deep into corners and make up a lot of ground on others that can't brake quite like that. It is exhilarating!!!

One other thing that has changed on the car since the brake\spindle upgrade is the front is stuck like glue with the additional ackerman and camber gain...so much so that there is little to none front tire wear even with the high speed sweepers on this course. I wish I had figured this out sooner as I left my worst tires on the rear (hurt them at Good Guys) and my good pair up front and after day one my left rear was toast...almost zero tread left on it while the front tires still looked fantastic. I put the bald rears on the front for Sunday and the one hurt the most on the left front where it would take the least amount of work since we were running backwards that day. Even after 3 hard sessions, the front with zero tread on it still stuck like glue and showed no more wear.

BTW, be sure to notice how my little truck engine kept up with all the LS powered cars down the straights (and even coming out of the corners)...even though I was down probably 50-75 hp running at 4100 feet with a carb tuned to run at 850 feet. If you listen close you can hear it gurgling coming out of just about every corner. It did fine on the big straights once cleaned, out but it really did load up on slower corners.

Now it's time to clean Barney up, assess the wear items...and prep it for another day...
Old 09-04-2018, 02:51 PM

This was my last session on Sunday. We ran the course in reverse with one small change...

I was leery of my tire wear and the car didn't quite feel right so I quit pretty early in the session after a few good clean hot laps. After the car sat in paddock for a while, I noticed the left rear going flat. Good thing I quit early and this finished my day.

Still haven't investigated what it picked up and don't really care...as all tires are shot now.