Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-08-2013, 09:07 AM

Default Ever known anyone to just say F#$% it I am outa here

Just walk in tell the boss to screw and figure it out from there?
Seriously I am at the point professionally and at 45 have no idea what I would do if I made that move...

This get up grind it out at the office, eat dinner go back online and work .. go to bed repeat crap is crushing my soul.

Its all but sucked all the energy out of everything including my car...

Lets say you had 500K in the bank... what would you do?

Options
Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome to the new United States work style over 12 hrs a day, 6 day a week, no vacation, no time off, and if you ask for a day, they act like the earth will stop spinning and we will all fall off,

I hear some employers don't offer vacation time anymore,

70 Nova SS street racer, ugly,
Old 12-08-2013, 09:30 AM

On one hand, i've never met anyone who was dying or on their "death" bed who said " I wish I woulda spent more time at the office...""

On the other hand, do you/we grind it out for a few more years with a very righteous exit strategy in place.....
Old 12-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Oct 25th last year I did....one day shy of my 36 year anniversary. Family business, inherited my Mother and Brother as primary partners after my Father died unexpectedly on Sept 10, 2001 and they eventually became my dependents and biggest critics. As partners they only lacked work ethic, knowledge, and vision.

Our kids are 12 & 15 and thankfully my wife has a decent job and the only loan we have is our home which we owe less than 50% of accessed value. Medical expenses, insurance, and utilities are the biggest future concern, if we can get the house paid off we'd be pretty comfortable for our "modest" lifestyle.

$500K isn't much as one medical event could take that and more. At 55 years old finding a decent job ($50K+) in our area isn't easy. Our son has multiple medical issues and is ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) so that pretty much requires an at home parent right now. I will say I had more time to myself when I was working full time (50-60 hour Mon-Sat week) vs. being a full time househusband.

If you're single and have little debt and no young kids it's a different game than mine. Medical is your wild card right now IMO.

The overall stress reduction has been priceless though.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Don't know what property values are in your area but if I were you and had 500K to play with I would pick up income properties.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:29 AM

Ive done it with alot less in the bank more than once. Just left a 6 yr business relationship that was mentally killing me. If something you do 12 hrs a day isnt helping you then its hurting you. Chances not taken are opportunities lost.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 AM

I feel your pain. I'm much younger at 28 and was at my previous "career" for 4-1/2 years right out of college. I knew on the first day of the job I wasn't going to enjoy it, thought I'd give it 2 years to see how it really was. 2 turned into 3 and 3 into 4….. I'm happier now than I can remember and I know whatever happens I'm NEVER going to regret my choice to quit that god awful, soul sucking hell hole. If you have anywhere near $500,000 I'd pull the plug tomorrow.

If you want a letter of resignation I can send you a template

1970 chevelle, 383/turbocharged/carb'd/5 speed.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
Just walk in tell the boss to screw and figure it out from there?
Seriously I am at the point professionally and at 45 have no idea what I would do if I made that move...

This get up grind it out at the office, eat dinner go back online and work .. go to bed repeat crap is crushing my soul.

Its all but sucked all the energy out of everything including my car...

Lets say you had 500K in the bank... what would you do?

Options
Because you asked. I did kinda. And I'm 53. But, I had a plan B. Submitted my "two week notice" last Dec and started my own business Nov 13th.

$500K is a lot money. What are your talents? What are you passionate about?

I don't want to come across as flippant. My business might fail but at least I've got that bucket list item checked off. Life's too short to be doing anything that "crushes" the soul.

Project Alchemy
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=29820
Old 12-08-2013, 01:39 PM

Talents... I am really good and pride myself on my leadership skills. I love, literally.. teaching mentoring and making others happy. Its the only thing that makes me feel accomplished. My technical skills, problem solving abilities have gotten me to a place where I solve the most challenging technical issues for the largest financial institutions in the world. (my job today involves the software they use to move money) I can weld, Fix cars, and if its mechanical... I can figure it out..

My "plan" was to retire at 52 join the peace Corp.. and eventually work my way to a place where the Money I had in investments provided me the ability to do whatever .. wherever..... I wanted... I have no children.. no baggage...

I realized long ago money nether motivates me or makes me happy... Security.. it very important.. (i have an irrational fear of being destitute).

Jesus .. i need a couch somewere
Old 12-08-2013, 02:59 PM

I retired my self from the automotive service industry and opened my own business in wholesale manufacturing and proto typing. I'm also working on and restoring older vehicles. I'm now entering the retail side of the industry. I did it all with one of the retirement funds that I started in high school and an investment IRA with the help of Apple and AIG . You can do what ever you want but you have to be smart about it. I still have my other IRA's and union pension to keep growing for retirement.

I would suggest you hire an investment adviser and make a plan. I'm not too sure how far you are from retirement age but it's never too late. Plan it right and you can do what you want and live your life.

Rental properties are nice but I doubt you have enough to over come the insurance and taxes.

I gotta tell you going out on my own was the best thing I did. Living outside of corporate control gives you a freedom everyone should have. Even my worst days as a business owner doesn't give me the stress of working under someone.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11

Last edited by Vince@Meanstreets; 12-08-2013 at 03:02 PM.