Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-18-2019, 11:18 AM

Default Reputable Shop near Portland Or

I am looking for a good quality shop to help me finish my 68 Firebird pro touring build. Can anyone point me in a good direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 PM

J-rod and Custom
Old 04-22-2019, 04:12 PM

Another vote for J-Rod. His crew is building some of the nicest cars to come from the Northwest period.

Sean
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hackster For This Useful Post:
DBasher (04-23-2019), dhutton (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Chris Holstrom up in Puyallup WA — Good mechanical and suspension - assembly work. Solid quality

J-Rod Customs — although — I’d say that if you want bad ass metal work.... vs just “putting it together”.

Wicked Fabrication —- Bring your wallet... and it better not be light.

—————-

In Portland — whatever you do — stay away from Steve’s Auto Restorations. Chrome don’t get ya home.

Eckerts in Molalla, Oregon — usually pretty high end custom stuff — but he’s a great all around car guy - and if it’s not his price range and schedule — he’d know people to recommend.

Portland is a good hot rod area —- doesn’t have a lot of great shops..... So what I’m saying is — unless there’s some reason you need to have it near where you live — don’t short the project by being afraid to send it somewhere. The key is to make DAMN SURE you know your budget and what you want.... and ask lots of people before you take it anywhere. This is where it can turn out great —- or be a complete financial disaster collecting dust.... I can’t stress this enough. And trust me — just because they’re “high end” doesn’t make them good. Just makes them high end (expensive). But Cheap and I can “do it in 6 weeks for 20 grand” RUN!!! It ain’t that easy or cheap. Promises and low per hour shop rate won’t get your job done on time or on budget. Least expensive exhaust system I ever got was at a shop (Brizio in San Francisco) that charges $105 an hour..... total bill??? $800

When you finally begin to visit the shops —- look INSIDE and OUTSIDE —- are the projects fresh and being worked on or have they been there for years.... not a fingerprint in the dust from having been touched. Are the customer parts neatly kept and clean and protected. Or is the trim for the car just lumped in the trunk and some under the car - and some on the bench..... UGH! Dusty filthy cars and parts is your first clue to RUN......

The “so called” expensive big name shops usually aren’t that expensive - because they know what they’re doing and get stuff done. Expensive is paying and paying and nothing is getting done — and 3 years later you realize you’ve been had.... your parts are either missing - or have been mistreated and now need to be re-polished.....

I hope some others chime in here....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
Bonebuster29 (04-24-2019), fleetus macmullitz (04-22-2019), Roscoe03 (05-01-2019)