Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 10-29-2017, 01:38 PM

Default Entrophy with trinary

Hello all, Well I have everything hooked up and triple checked. I am having a problem with the trinary switch not grounding out when the pressure reaches 220 psi turning the fans on.

The green entrophy wire which is attached to the blue wire on the trinary is putting out 4.5 volts (hooked or unhooked from trinary), the other blue wire on the trinary is grounded to the frame. The black and green trinary wires are hooked to compressor clutch and the other is hooked to a/c controls on the dash when power turns on.

The fans come on fine when the car reaches temperature but not when a/c pressure.
Both blue wires on trinary unhooked do not have continuity but when hooked up to entrophy wires, I get continuity.

I am so lost. cant figure this out. Thanks in advanced
Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 PM

Do you have the gm create engine harness? is yes, is there a fan relay build in the fuse panel that comes with it?

Tim
Old 10-29-2017, 11:46 PM

Make sure the trinary blue wire is truly grounded especially if you grounded it to the radiator support. The radiator support is generally mounted to the frame via rubber bushings so it's possible that it might not be grounded.

If you manually ground the green Entropy wire does the fan then run? If it does then either the trinary switch is not getting up to pressure or it is defective, assuming that the A/C compressor is working and the system is properly charged.

On a side note, am I the only one that can't get on Entropy's website? I always get a "Forbidden" error when I try.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:58 PM

Yes its grounded to the frame. If I hook a jumper wire from the ground wire to the entrophy green wire, the fans come on. I am guessing its the trinary switch is defective. The guy from vintage air said he has been there for many years and never had a bad trinary switch. Figures I am the first.

http://www.entropyrad.com/ the website works fine for me.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:31 PM

How long are you waiting for the fan to start after turning on the A/C? I know on my car it can sometimes take a couple of minutes before the trinary switch turns on. You could also try measuring the line pressure with a manifold gauge and confirm the pressure gets above 254psi. If it does then I would say the switch is bad given that the fan does run if you manually ground the Entropy fan wire, assuming you were grounding it from the same ground the trinary switch uses.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah View Post
Do you have the gm create engine harness? is yes, is there a fan relay build in the fuse panel that comes with it?

Tim
I also would like to know what set up you are running ?? GMPP harness , blue fan wire ?? Or another fan controller all together?? Thx
Old 10-30-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT69Cam View Post
I also would like to know what set up you are running ?? GMPP harness , blue fan wire ?? Or another fan controller all together?? Thx
Entropy fan controller. Completely independent controller. No need for GMPP Blue wire.

I use the compressor clutch drive to interface to the Entropy controller with a binary switch. Never an issue on multiple installs.

Don
Old 10-30-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Entropy fan controller. Completely independent controller. No need for GMPP Blue wire.

I use the compressor clutch drive to interface to the Entropy controller with a binary switch. Never an issue on multiple installs.

Don
Don he is using the Entropy fan controller ??? I thought you did not need a trinary switch with their controller ??? http://www.entropyrad.com/wiring-harnesses.html
Old 10-30-2017, 07:48 PM

This thread is part two of another thread about the same issue last week. They were trying to make the GMPP controls work with it also. The GMPP harness has a fuse relay in the fuse box that feeds the fan and I believe it is positive 12 volts instead of negative. see statement from the GMPP instruction manual,

" A cooling fan is controlled by the ECM. Control is set to turn on a 12 V fan at 97 Deg C (207 Deg F) coolant temperature. The fan control wire is fused/relayed and must be connected directly to your fan. NOTE: If the wire is not connected to a fan it turn on the service engine soon light."

If this is true, I bet the trinary contacts got burnt.

Question to the user of the aftermarket controller, do you have the MIL lamp turn on not being connected to the fan as stated above, or will it let you toggle it off in the software.

Tim
Old 10-30-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT69Cam View Post
Don he is using the Entropy fan controller ??? I thought you did not need a trinary switch with their controller ??? http://www.entropyrad.com/wiring-harnesses.html
Yes he is. Entropy has the options of using it with a trinary or binary switch. I use the binary option.

Don