Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-07-2019, 12:05 AM

Sweet looking build, keep up the good work!

Please post some photos of the ECM mounted once its installed. I'm looking for some good ideas to steal for my car haha. I'll also need to find a hiding spot for TCM but you get to skip that part.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 PM

The clock keeps ticking to when this thing needs to be in the body shop and it seems like i'm not making a whole lot of progress towards that goal. It's just over a month away and i have a bunch more mock up that i'd like to get accomplished before this old girl needs to be taken back apart.

So what better time that to try to learn how to TIG weld and build a custom stainless exhaust!

Went out and purchased a Miller Diversion 180 TIG machine, did a bunch of reading and YouTube video watching and started practicing. Damn, i have lots of practice to do!

Made some pretty decent progress this weekend until an inadvertent slip while using the hole saw ended my day of work today. Got to head off to urgent care to get a 4" slice in my hand stitched up. I"m pretty happy with the exhaust work so for considering my novice state. hopefully next weekend will bring more progress and no trips to the ER.

On a good note, I've been able to get the brake and clutch master cylinders mocked up and plumbed and also received the new Recaro seats that have been on order forever.
Attached Images

The Toys -

1968 Camaro
1968 C10
1969 Dodge Sweptline
2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S (sold)
2009 Corvette ZR1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMillwheels For This Useful Post:
Roscoe03 (12-07-2021), syborg tt (06-21-2022)
Old 02-10-2019, 05:50 PM

Here are another coupe pics showing the current state of the engine compartment and the new seats. New seat is the passenger side, driver side is one of my old ones.
Attached Images

The Toys -

1968 Camaro
1968 C10
1969 Dodge Sweptline
2009 Corvette ZR1
The Following User Says Thank You to CMillwheels For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (06-21-2022)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 PM

Chris - looks like an awesome build. Those Speedtech Extreme frames allow for some insanely wide front tires! I know LT4s from the factory have electronic PS... are you running PS on yours? Don’t remember seeing a PS pump on the front end accessory drive in your picture, but maybe I missed it. I have a ZL1 with that motor and the low end torque is amazing... look forward to following your progress!

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bkswede For This Useful Post:
CMillwheels (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkswede View Post
Chris - looks like an awesome build. Those Speedtech Extreme frames allow for some insanely wide front tires! I know LT4s from the factory have electronic PS... are you running PS on yours? Don’t remember seeing a PS pump on the front end accessory drive in your picture, but maybe I missed it. I have a ZL1 with that motor and the low end torque is amazing... look forward to following your progress!

Brian

Thanks for the Props Brian! I am running hydraulic power steering. The pump is mounted low on the driver's side of the engine. It's a Jones pump with remote mounted reservoir. I"m running 315 tires up front and 335's in the rear. It's crazy how those tires look from the front of the car.

Chris

The Toys -

1968 Camaro
1968 C10
1969 Dodge Sweptline
2009 Corvette ZR1
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMillwheels View Post
Thanks for the Props Brian! I am running hydraulic power steering. The pump is mounted low on the driver's side of the engine. It's a Jones pump with remote mounted reservoir. I"m running 315 tires up front and 335's in the rear. It's crazy how those tires look from the front of the car.

Chris

Gotcha - I see it now... was looking for the reservoir. Is that a Drive Junky front end accessory drive? I briefly considered an LT4 for my build and, at that time, no one had an accessory drive that included power steering, but know a couple have since been released. Those front tires are wider than my rears! I’ll be running 305’s in back but only 255’s up front on my Chevy II...

Old 02-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkswede View Post
Gotcha - I see it now... was looking for the reservoir. Is that a Drive Junky front end accessory drive? I briefly considered an LT4 for my build and, at that time, no one had an accessory drive that included power steering, but know a couple have since been released. Those front tires are wider than my rears! I’ll be running 305’s in back but only 255’s up front on my Chevy II...

Yes sir, it is the Drive Junky drive set up. I will not hesitate to use the Drive Junky setup again on future builds. The quality of the machine work, finish, and fit is remarkable.

Chris

The Toys -

1968 Camaro
1968 C10
1969 Dodge Sweptline
2009 Corvette ZR1
Old 02-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Looks killer man!!! Those seats are dead sexy too.

Impressed how much metal work you have done on this thing, looks good.

Love the trial by fire.

Sean
The Following User Says Thank You to hackster For This Useful Post:
CMillwheels (02-18-2019)
Old 12-07-2021, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMillwheels View Post
I had the luxury of spending another long day in the shop today and made some good progress.

Was able to get the fenders back on the car in order to mock up the Speedtech fiberglass inner fender wells. installation was straightforward enough but the factory mounts on the firewall must be trimmed in order to get them to fit. No going back now! These things add a significant amount of room for the 315 tires. I haven't adjusted ride height or tried turning the wheels yet but I don't see any obvious signs of it being an issue as there is a lot of room in there.

Also mocked up the radiator, A/C condenser, and heat exchanger for the supercharger today. Not sure yet how I'm going to plumb up the condenser as I will need to relocate the filter/drier so none of the Vintage air pre-bent tubing will work. Has anyone done something similar? I'll probably locate the filter/drier between the headlight bucket and the heat exchanger.

Now that this complete I was able to figure out dimensions for the oil cooler and PS cooler. those are going to stack on top (above) the supercharger heat exchanger. I'm a little worried about airflow through all of these before air gets to the radiator but going to move forward with it and see how it goes.

pics of todays work....
I know this is a couple year old thread, but curious what you ended up doing for relocation of the DS knock sensor with the headers. I'm debating what route to go with that on mine right now with the same subframe, headers and an LT5
Old 12-07-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode1 View Post
I know this is a couple year old thread, but curious what you ended up doing for relocation of the DS knock sensor with the headers. I'm debating what route to go with that on mine right now with the same subframe, headers and an LT5
It’s funny you ask the question…. This car has been sitting on ice the last couple years while I was completing a C10 build, and a couple of Jeep wranglers for my boys. Finally able to get back to the Camaro.

I don’t believe I had to make any modifications for the drivers side knock sensor to fit under the header. It’s a tight fit, but it works. I installed a significant amount of heat shield on all of the wiring for the knock sensors and the starter. All of this wiring is very close to the headers. I can try to take some pics of the area when I have the car back up on my lift if you’d like to see a visual.

The Toys -

1968 Camaro
1968 C10
1969 Dodge Sweptline
2009 Corvette ZR1