Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2020, 11:31 PM

Default Single stage urethane metal-flake under a car?

Considering a single stage metal flake paint under my car. Dark grey color. I don’t recall ever seeing this, but I’m sure it’s done on custom show cars. My car will not be a show car but is quite custom. It seems like a cool idea but feels like a bad idea. This stuff hold up as well as the epoxy chassis paints? Not interested much in a high maintenance finish under my car but think the custom color could be pretty cool. Anybody want to save me from making an expensive mistake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2020, 09:35 PM

is it single stage metal flake or metallic?either do not hold up well without a clear coat.real metal flake is hard to spray and requires a special tip on spray gun and goes on like rocks which is why its usually buried under a ton of clear.be more specific on what your trying to do.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:22 AM

Well here is my take. The weak adhesion link in a base clear job is always the base. Single stage is just clear with color added to it so it has better adhesion and won’t chip as easily as base clear will.

Best of both worlds would be to apply single stage metallic followed by a couple coats of clear. Never ever sand a single stage metallic....

Just my opinion,
Don

Last edited by dhutton; 05-01-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:25 AM

Single stage urethane with flake in it was the idea. Trying to plan out the chassis and underbody coatings. Also trying to work with a coating that is compatible with the etch primer I’ve been spraying all over the metal work I’ve done. Eastwood has a satin 2k ceramic chassis paint Im interested in. If the single stage urethane is up to the task, I think it would interesting and unique. I’d have to buy 2 gallons of the urethane paint because it’s a special mix so I think I’d have enough to do the entire body top and bottom. I’m old enough to know that seemingly good ideas don’t work out as intended.

Anyway, leaning towards the ceramic satin black at the moment.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66fury View Post
is it single stage metal flake or metallic?either do not hold up well without a clear coat.real metal flake is hard to spray and requires a special tip on spray gun and goes on like rocks which is why its usually buried under a ton of clear.be more specific on what your trying to do.

Metallic paint, not flake added.