Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 07-07-2018, 05:04 PM

Default Auto crossing s-10

Im building a 85 S10 pick up for autocross with limited street use My Question is I have to swap the rear end anyways should I be looking for a limited slip or a poise unit ??? hoping to find something set up with disk brakes already Thanks
Old 09-20-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshchevelle View Post
Im building a 85 S10 pick up for autocross with limited street use My Question is I have to swap the rear end anyways should I be looking for a limited slip or a poise unit ??? hoping to find something set up with disk brakes already Thanks
You definitely need to have a rear end with some type of diff that allows both axles to rotate together, whether or not you use a cone type, clutch type, clutch locker( like a stock GM G80), torsen or true locker! The type you choose is up to you depending on horsepower, transmission and, of course, budget!. I track and will be autocrossing my 2002 S10 with the much maligned G80 locker, but my powertrain consists of a stock 4.3 and 4l60e automatic trans. A manual transmission may force you to move up to a stronger unit. Limited slip or Posi are just names for a diff that allows the axles to rotate differently during turning using preloaded clutch plates or cones. A locker mechanically locks the axles together when in a straight line situation. I'm building a 1966 Chevelle with a Detroit Locker in a 9" axle housing. You can even get units that replace the side and spider gears in a stock diff ( see lunch box lockers) but the case is not as strong as a complete aftermarket diff . Cost can vary from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:44 AM

I thinking of ordering an Eaton Truetrac from Quick Perf. I hope to see a big change after doing 3 events last fall.

Last edited by rixtrix1; 01-09-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixtrix1 View Post
I thinking of ordering an Eaton Truetrac from Quick Perf. I hope to see a big change after doing 3 events last fall.
Ordered an Eaton Detroit Truetrac from Lances Speed Shop ( Lance Hamilton, 1985 Monte Carlo SS known as Barney) and installed it last Sunday in my 2002 S10 7.625" 10 bolt. No more govloc! After 1 week of street driving, I've got to say it feels great with the ability to power through a corner with no more inside wheel spin and the rear seems to rotate better. AutoX next week for the acid test. I'll either be faster or spin out easier, lol. Went in with exactly the same shim packs as the OE factory spacers, pretty good for a 3 piece aftermarket differential case replacing a stocker!

Last edited by rixtrix1; 02-17-2019 at 11:13 PM.