Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 12-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Not a Torino Not an FE

Working backwards from the last track day out.

Here is nothing special but a race car none the less and one I ended up rebuilding.

Out of the trailer

One of us is taking the wrong line

You guess who

I learned you Can NOT out accelerate a 911 Turbo with 340 rwhp no matter how much weight you have stripped out of your car.

But not all P car drivers are Pr#@*s

I learned Sonoma is a challenging track that is a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

And as always I was reminded good friends at the track make the day.

Thanks for the pics Siegmiester.

More details on the car to follow, maybe.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Last edited by FETorino; 12-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:24 PM

I want more details...I know it's an old Bondurant car and than an AI before you got it, how far from stock is it? This car and this event is what got me looking at these and older fox bodies.
Spill the beans!
Old 12-03-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
I want more details...I know it's an old Bondurant car and than an AI before you got it, how far from stock is it? This car and this event is what got me looking at these and older fox bodies.
Spill the beans!
I wish it was a Fox body those have way more style.

It's a 99-04 Wedge but the platform is pretty much the same, and the formula for a cheap track car is also.

My car has always been a track car. Back in the day it was a Bonduraunt car then it was updated to compete back east in SCCA and then in Texas as an AI car.

I bought it with a worn out motor and the basic suspension set up and then ended up doing a but load of work bringing it up to it's current spec.

It is nothing fancy but it works well as a track mule and is class legal for NASA AI so I can race it in the series.

Any early Mustang can use the same simple formula to be a competent track car.

Bolt on Maximum Motorsports crossmember, lower control arms with camber caster plates on the front. Coilover strut conversion on all four corners. Plain yellow Bilstien HD struts and shocks. Mine has an old Bonduraunt torque arm in the rear but a Maximum Motorsports torque arm would be the choice. and of course a Panhard bar.

The brakes on it now are 13" Stoptechs up front and stock GT brakes out back. Hawk DT70s front and rear but if you didn't have Aero in the rear then runs 60s out back.

The Aero is some no name wing out back with some big end plates I added, a home made splitter up front with blocked off radiator opening breathing just from the lower opening and some track spec hood vents.

The class limits you to an 18x9.5" wheel and a 275 35 18 Toyo tire so that is what I run. High dollar CL Enkei RA1s on all four corners.

For power in the class you can run any Ford in any Ford or any Chevy in any Chevy ect... Mine is based on a 4.6 2v. I fragged the block and then found a Ford Motorsports boss block with 94mm bores so mine is now a 2v 5.0 mod motor. The class limit is 9.25lb of car per hp (if you have antilock brakes) so my motor is built to get me to a legal 340hp. Heads are ported, headers and intake and better throttle body cams and a tune on the PCM.

I would buy one with a Windsor based motor if I did it again. Cheaper and lighter.

The transmission is a stock T45 with a Findanzia AL flywheel and a Excedy puck style clutch. Out back I have a 3.50 torsion diff 8.8. I wish it was a 3.70 but that's what it had.

The car weighs about 3300lbs with me in it.

You saw it run at Sonoma. I had never been on that track before but the car works well enough to run some decent lap times. It is pretty fun to wrestle around a track.

I would say it is a great platform to get you out on track. It works well enough yet it isn't perfect so it makes you drive and it has a pretty good fun factor for the $$.

Last edited by FETorino; 12-03-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 AM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

We did have a lot of fun at Sonoma!!!

Awesome car!
Old 12-04-2016, 11:48 AM

Fox FTW
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 12-04-2016, 03:13 PM

That's good info, and Sonoma is indeed the awesome track--I can't wait to get back on it. I think a big part of what makes it so cool is that it really embodies the shape and quality of a lot of the good roads in northern CA (and other places), like the one I live on . . .

I drove a '92 Fox-body that had the full Maximum Motorsports kit on it, with drag radials, from South Carolina to CA, and I was really impressed with how it worked (while not compromising ride quality or submitting bad NVH). Another cool thing about the MM stuff is how it's priced so much better than a lot of competing bolt-on stuff out there (and we know it works) . . .

I'm betting that the only time that 340 hp really becomes evident as slightly less than you want is on straights, like at Thunderhill. Most of the time, it's probably quite sufficient.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:26 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
That's good info, and Sonoma is indeed the awesome track--I can't wait to get back on it. I think a big part of what makes it so cool is that it really embodies the shape and quality of a lot of the good roads in northern CA (and other places), like the one I live on . . .

I drove a '92 Fox-body that had the full Maximum Motorsports kit on it, with drag radials, from South Carolina to CA, and I was really impressed with how it worked (while not compromising ride quality or submitting bad NVH). Another cool thing about the MM stuff is how it's priced so much better than a lot of competing bolt-on stuff out there (and we know it works) . . .

I'm betting that the only time that 340 hp really becomes evident as slightly less than you want is on straights, like at Thunderhill. Most of the time, it's probably quite sufficient.

Like the old saying - More HP will make any car faster on the straights - but less weight makes a car faster EVERYWHERE.....

LOL

Just sayin'
Old 12-04-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
We did have a lot of fun at Sonoma!!!

Awesome car!
Yes we did. I wish I had had a chance to try and chase down the yellow car.

Thanks for the props on the car. It isn't a show piece but I did put a lot of sweat equity into making it usable and presentable.

Quote:
That's good info, and Sonoma is indeed the awesome track--I can't wait to get back on it.

Another cool thing about the MM stuff is how it's priced so much better than a lot of competing bolt-on stuff out there (and we know it works) . . .
I can hardly wait to get back to Sonoma and see if I can whittle down my lap times some more. Day one I got to 2:04 and day two I got down to 2:00. My Traqmate failed me on my last session so I don't know what I ultimately ran but I will take a 2:00 flat for the first time at the track.

That is the point with the platform. If someone wants a track toy that has a v8, it a little bit of a handfull at times but can actually run some decent times on a budget just bolt on the MM stuff to a Fox Body or SN95 and have fun.

Quote:

It's all the HP to weight ratio. My car is somewhat light but still a bit of a porker at 3300lbs with me in it (part of that issue is my Sasquatch A$$). I am at 9.7lbs per hp which isn't great but the class only allows me 9.25 to 1.

If it were just a track car then I would run 10.5" wheels on all 4 corners and try and get closer to 8 to 1. That would be a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Like the old saying - More HP will make any car faster on the straights - but less weight makes a car faster EVERYWHERE.....

LOL

Just sayin'
Light is Might

Old 12-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Sweet! I'd love to have my fox out there!!
Old 12-19-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@Ridetech View Post
Sweet! I'd love to have my fox out there!!
Nothing should be stopping you.

When I got the car there were a lot of things that needed attention. One was the butchered stock dash rattling around while on the track.

It was dubbed the 200hr dash by someone on this site. It didn't take that long but it did take me longer than it should have.

Some cardboard to mock it up.

Some work on the sheer and brake

A little paint and Bingo

Of course Weld reminded me today I didn't need to build this for the car to be trackable.

Last edited by FETorino; 12-19-2016 at 01:29 AM.