Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 04-29-2015, 05:03 PM

Default 69 Camaro LS1 Engine Heating Issue (help)

I just installed a Vintage Ac/Heating system in my 69 Camaro and the engine does not cool down even with the twin cooling fans running at idle no A/C on! (It didn't have a heating problem at idle before as once the fans kicked in the engine would cool back down to 180). I checked the right side of the radiator and lower hose it appears to be cool compared to the driver's side radiator inlet and left side of crossflow radiator.

Before I start taking things apart like checking the thermostat is there a burping procedure that should be used when installing the heating hoses which I didn't have operational before (short hose connecting both outlets on the right side of LS1 water pump before I installed new heating system). I've been running a 180 degree thermostat and was wondering if I should up it to 190 degrees as the engine seems to be running rich (2000 Trans Am LS1 engine) with Speartech wiring modification)!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:09 PM

Sounds like you still have air in the system.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 04-29-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Sounds like you still have air in the system.
that
Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:26 AM

Try jacking the front of the up, run the car with the radiator cap off and fill as necessary. Raising the front of the car will put the radiator neck at the highest point and allow the air to escape.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Default 69 LS1 Running Hot (Help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
Try jacking the front of the up, run the car with the radiator cap off and fill as necessary. Raising the front of the car will put the radiator neck at the highest point and allow the air to escape.
Thank you for this suggestion! Any ideas concerning what thermostat rating I should be using in this LS1? I currently have a 180 degree.....does this temp result in the computer thinking is always in the "enrichment mode"?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I always fill the engine from the upper radiator hose until it is full before connecting it to the radiator. No air pockets, like other have said seems to be your problem. Was there a particular reason you changed the factory thermostat (don't know what the temp of it is) to the 180 one?
Full of DSE and Holley parts
Old 04-30-2015, 09:43 AM

I fought air in my system a bunch so much that I was sure it wasn't air anymore and even sent the water pump to be checked out... but it was still air.

Filling the engine from the upper radiator hose - wasn't enough
Filling the rest of the radiator while the front of the car was jacked up - wasn't enough.
In addition to the above two tips I also had to keep the car raised up and run the engine to cycle the thermostat a couple of times with the radiator cap off to bleed out the air before I removed it all.

My radiator is double cross flow and the cap is on the opposite side of the hoses. This means with the cap off and looking down I can easily see how much fluid is flowing through the radiator and when the thermostat opens. I would see the thermostat fully open. Put the cap on a few seconds later to avoid a huge mess and then remove the cap again once the thermostat began to close. I did this multiple times to be sure.

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023