Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 08-19-2015, 07:14 PM

Default High Performance Coolants...Worth The Cost?

Hey folks,
Getting ready to do a coolant change in my 69 Camaro and I'm trying to decide if its worth ordering the expensive stuff rather than just getting what I can locally. The car has a 477 CI big block with aluminum heads, a Be Cool 700 HP aluminum radiator (this engine's estimated HP is about 540 or so) with dual SPAL electric fans. We have had some serious overheating issues with this car in the past so I try to be pretty meticulous when it comes to the cooling system, not to mention the concern of corrosion with all that aluminum. Currently I'm running Be Cool's premium coolant but this being the first coolant change with the car I have nothing to compare it to.

I've read a little about just using distilled water with Water Wetter or some other additive but I'd rather not have to flush and refill the system when it gets cold. I've looked around town for a place that carries any type of high performance coolant but no luck--I'm pretty much stuck with whatever I can find at Autozone, O'Reilly's, or NAPA.

For those of you who have tried the expensive stuff like Be Cool or Evans, how do you think it compares to the regular coolant from the box stores?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-22-2015, 10:02 AM

Ask 10 people this question, you'll get 10 opinions. 5 will have "proof" their opinion is the gospel.

I have a friend that has been in the radiator manufacturing business for over 25 years. He says the water wetter products do nothing. Also, antifreeze does not absorb heat any faster, but does raise the boiling point of the coolant, adds water pump lubrication and corrosion protection. Obviously, if you are in cold weather, you know you need antifreeze.

My personal humble opinion of the BeCool coolant is it is no different than any other propylene glycol antifreeze, but you are (in essence) buying an extended warranty for your radiator with the higher price.

Stewart Components says this on their website....

UNEQUIVOCALLY WATER IS THE BEST COOLANT! We recommend using a corrosion inhibitor comparable to Prestone Super Anti-Rust when using pure water. If freezing is a concern, use the minimum amount of antifreeze required for your climate. Stewart Components has extensively tested all of the popular "magic" cooling system additives, and found that none work better than water. In fact, some additives have been found to swell the water pumps seals and contribute to pump failures.
In static cooling situations, such as quenching metal during heat treating, softening agents (sometimes referred to as water wetting agents) will allow the water to cool the quenched part more evenly and quickly. The part will cool quicker, and the water will heat up faster. However, an automotive cooling system is not static. In fact, the velocities inside a cooling system are comparable to a fire hose forcing coolant against the walls of the engine's water jackets. If the softening agents actually aided in cooling the engine, the temperature of the coolant as it exited the engine would have to be higher because it would have absorbed more heat.

Also, keep in mind some racing entities either discourage or disallow antifreeze on track because spills are dangerous. So if you plan to track your car, check that out.

Hope that helps.

Bill

'69 Camaro / 534 BBC / DSE Built
'67 C10 / LS-3 Magnuson / Roadster Shop Chassis