Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-11-2022, 06:06 PM

Very nicely done on the raised frame rail kick-up & transition pieces.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScotI For This Useful Post:
SuperB70 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 07:24 PM

Looking good Juhani!

I was wondering about your build a couple of months ago

My 68 Torino
The Following User Says Thank You to jarhead For This Useful Post:
SuperB70 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 07:46 AM

Thx guys,

Hey Joe,
Project is moving ahead.

Last edited by SuperB70; 02-14-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:51 AM

As a Mopar Or Nocar guy "Love It".....
Old 01-16-2022, 03:27 AM

Wheel tubs time.

Making card board temples, tryed some patterns, settle for this. Make one piece, with three step beads, 1/2" radius at edge, easier to weld together. Making tubs in three pieces, again easier to bead roll them, then tig weld them together. Not too big and grazy, want to run with back seat. This is Grand Tourer..

Good friend loaned his '06 Ford GT rear wheel to mock up. I just imported set of one off Asanti's for him. Really like how low its coming. Put also shows, need to turn on my plasma again. Open up opening more.

Was thinking should I also widen those quarters now? Would be easy...
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperB70 For This Useful Post:
214Chevy (01-16-2022), camcojb (01-16-2022), dhutton (01-16-2022), syborg tt (05-18-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

That looks killer!

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 01-22-2022, 02:59 PM

Thanks Jody!

updates...

So I scored big time. Wasn't cheap but bought it anyway. Brand new gen 3 8.3l "crate" engine fell in my lap.
Let just say its left over from some motorsport-program. (Cant tell more)
Oh boy do I have some plans for this...

Its time to start building the tube frame. Building it from 1 1/4 DOM tubing. Was calculation for a long time should I build it from that new high strength tubing, Swedish Docol R8. Actually all are made by SSAB here in Finland but shipped to Sweden and sold from there. SSAB is Swedish company. But I decided to go with familar DOM. I may have to compesate weight with more power..
Raising the floors 3" so first tube goes to upper inner part of rockers. Then small pieces between ans second tube under those. Should be stiff piece. Next cross tube and bended tubes to inside rear frame rail. All to way to back panel. From there forward one pair as "subframe connectors". Frame rails and all inside is painted with industrial grade gray 2-k epoxy before hand.

Another score, cheap roller C4 Vette, I bought it just for front suspension. One of my friends needed the rest. So kind of free be for me. Luckily I've a dually and large enclosed trailer also my company is one of few GM Performance centers around here so I have access to GM files. Body dimensions. Front axle mounting dimensions and angle.. Do you guess by now where this is going...

Then after some measurements, turned on my plasma and cutted off the whole front windshield forward off. Where we are going, we don't need torsion bars..

Then another score, came across craigslist-add. Light rear end crashed Maybach 57 parting out in Florida. Got my good friend to go and check that the trans was good and right number one. (722.649) Not so popular in US but widelly used in Europe, many kind of motorsport. Holds a lot of tq. Even in stock form. Of course it can be beefed up and this will be.
This has two reverse gears (Aftermarket controller can run both).
Modern Mopars NAG-1 is same family Mercedes trans.
NAG-1 =W5A580 (580Nm) mine W5A900 (900Nm)
Have no idea how to connect this to V10 but I'm sure I'll sort it out some how..(spoiler alert, I will)
Attached Images

Last edited by SuperB70; 02-14-2022 at 10:42 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperB70 For This Useful Post:
dhutton (01-29-2022), jarhead (01-22-2022), Roscoe03 (01-28-2022), syborg tt (05-18-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 06:43 AM

Engine is disassembled and mated to trans. Still no glue what thickness need to be at this point, so made plywood adapter extra thick. To make sure I'll have exrta space from trans to frame.
Made a installing frame/jig for drive train. Easy to move on top of the table. Get it centered. Front suspension pick up point jig started but that will change. More from that later update..

Roll cage fab.
I wanted to hide tubes inside roof frame. That means that I need to support and cut roof frame to many pieces. Trick is to get everything line up later. Use original roof skin and drilled spot welds as guide. Main hood will be removable
(I know its not inside NHRA or FIA rules but I don't care. Doing an roadcar.)
and l come under those front to back roof tubes. Locking bolted with machined shoulder tabs. Roof frame tubes are bended one piece from floor frame near door lower hinge to back to truck frame rail tube right after wheel tub.
They will be tie up with removable (with roll cage clamps) horizontal tube.
Floor center lower tubes will come under rear end and connect to same point at trunk rails. Also with boltable locking clamps.
Front upper cross tube fitted to fit roof skin and windshield channel, witch will revolve to flush glass channel.

Last pic shows center section of the frame. Kind of drag car douple frame but more smoother shape. Wheel tub has been trimmed for quarter to be cleco'd for test fit.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperB70 For This Useful Post:
214Chevy (01-29-2022), camcojb (01-29-2022), dhutton (01-29-2022), Roscoe03 (02-15-2022), syborg tt (05-18-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 07:45 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

This is gonna be one bad mofo!!

Old 02-13-2022, 01:33 PM

Lets talk little about this oddfire odd engine.

I was close to use 6.1 Hemi for this. But when opportunity to buy this dropped to my lap, choice was made. Hemi was put to side (for wife Challenger project). First idea was to use couple Holset-custom turbos. I've taken partin gen 2 twin turbo build earlier, so I know what kind of power and tq numbers these monster will put out, easilly.
But my love to twin screws starts back at 2000. I was in Florida, looking would I relocate there to live. My cousins friend had supercharged street race Fox-body Mustang. That was a wild ride. I've builded turbo- and roots blown engines since '93.
So I made decision that I should do what I advice other to do.

So started to do research and quickly found that Roe-racing was only one.
But they didnt have intercooler and used small head unit (mainly because bigger ones didnt fit under Vipers hood.) My good friend Johan (poweredbyjohan.com) in Sweden, has gen 2 with Roe kit. Same guy was in US tour with his blood red '68 Charger RTR. Viper has 750hp, witch is plenty for street car. But ofcourse I wanted more.

Idea came to build my own intake, with custom two row core. (I build custom cooling systems, European factory hand makes cores for me.). So I drawed up the needed core size and asked factory to build it as high power as size allows. They calculated that this core will support 2200hp. ( w/ ambient cooled coolant temps with front mounted heat exchanger)

Then came time to get strong enough parts. Main caps was no brainer. Those where made by my friend with cncmill, from our local steel. Imatra Imaroc (Moc) 410m tool steel. Tolerances where left tight, little left to line bore and hone. ARP hardware is used.
Was looking for stroker crank but ($6000+shipping) was out of my budget. Here no one was interested to off set grind the stock crank, more cubs that way. (I've two stock ones). Fixed the oiling problem same time. Actually I do that for a lot around Scandinavia. I'm known to do that. Customers from Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Russia.
Looked around for con.rods. Twin screw is second hardest to beat rods.
Cylinder pressures are high from low rpm. I called around the world,literally.
Stopped calls at legendary Auto-Verdi, in Sweden. Company that makes rods for ex. Nascar, NHRA Pro-stock, Porsche classes, Köenigsegg and F1 power boats. (autoverdi.com)
Stefan was really cool and helpful guy. He was ready to help me after I told what I was building. After all, no one has ever done this. He was sure he can make me a set of forged billed rods that could handle 200hp/each. More than enough.
So I packed block, crank, one rod-piston set and all other needed so they can rotate and calculate what can be done.
Roadtrip took me 4 days, 2 ferry rides. But it was forth it. After talked with Stefan, I desided to turn my engine to dry sump.
After all Auto-Verdi also makes world best dry sump pumps. Those also are used by the PROs around the world.
Time that engine was in Stefans shop, I cut'd resently builded front frame off again and started to plan a new, wider one.

At first picture is Kenne Bells 4.2L unit, but after I visited the supercharger factory and talked about my project, showed my custom intercooler core I came back with their newer, bigger 4.7L head unit. Got really good information about intake design and cooling system. Have revisited them few time after that one. They are following this with great intress. I have some new, never seen stuff coming.. Funny story about my IC core, I'd give it ispection to boss man. He looked it long and closely. Asked where did I get my it. Chinish one, perhaps? He sad that after 3 decades he havent seen one like that. Not sure was I really smart or stupid...

Stick around and we both will see that..

Last pic show how you can spot 4.7 and new 4.9L head units. They have already build in watermeth injection nozzle port.
Attached Images

Last edited by SuperB70; 04-25-2022 at 07:34 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperB70 For This Useful Post:
jarhead (02-16-2022), Roscoe03 (02-15-2022), syborg tt (05-18-2022)