Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Track and Driving Events
User Name
Password

Old 06-17-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb
Like that fix???????!!!!!!!!! We were cooling the return fuel. The pump is too large and bypasses a LOT of fuel. That fuel gets heated a lot by that beautiful polished and chromed engine and the return line gets too hot to touch after a bit of driving. This heats the fuel in the tank to the point you can't touch it and kills the pump (which is in the tank). A voltage reducer (which Charlie used before the current Bosch pumps) would help but maybe not cure it. If you get the regulator on the inlet side of the engine so bypassed fuel never goes through the rails that would help tremendously. Plus a voltage reducer for light throttle or smaller pump would help a bunch also.
You might also want to try a fuel cooler. We use them in my business (diesel engines) all the time as we use the fuel to cool ECMs.

I think Hayden makes a pretty good one but you can find them in Summit as well. They are basically a fuel to air cooler that goes in an air stream (like a tranmssion oil cooler). I heave seen temperatures reduced by as much as 80 degrees F with these.

Make sure you don't impose too much restriction though as you could affect fuel flow because of pressure losses. Best to keep fittings and hoses adaquate for the flow you need to maintain.