Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Man Caves
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2017, 02:40 PM

Default New shop at my house

My fiance and I moved to Orangevale, Ca back in December to get some more space for the kids to roam and to finally get the cars f out of the garage and into a shop. While it isn't a vast landscape, we're finally out of suburbia and into a small piece of land we can enjoy. It's .6 acres and almost fully landscaped with a dozen citrus trees, grapes, etc. With the little uptick in the economy, architects are booked out months for plans. I wanted around 1000 feet for my shop and ended up finding a company called Barn Pros. that sells a 960 foot shop with good plans through Home Depot. After doing my research, we bought. The whole thing lands here May 1st so it'll be interesting to see how it comes. It's stick frame, comes with a good comp roof, garage doors, 6 windows, and a fiberglass man door. So far, the service has been top notch. Now I'm dealing with the county for my permit, tree fines (yeah, I guess I don't own them according to the county), and the concrete guy. Here's the pics so far.

[IMG][/IMG]

excavation day- and moving my yard shed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Our plan is get married in this new shop in September, so the race is on. Neeldess to say, we are extremely excited.

Smithcraft Collision and Restoration
Newcastle , CA
Old 04-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Congrats on the expansion--I don't know how I could live without the space I have now, even after spending all of my 20s (and part of my 30s) living in apartments and a duplex. Keep us posted on the shop. I've been wishing for one going on six years now . . .

How much do they nail you for when you want to cut a tree? I know the oaks are protected in Sacramento county, but what else?
Old 04-28-2017, 02:32 PM

Thanks I appreciate the congrats. Yes Sac County has been very entertaining regarding the big oak back there. When I bought this house last year, I called the "tree people" as they're known at the county office to see if it was a heritage Oak, but it wasn't registered. However, this year when I went through the planning process, the inspector put a tree hold on my final permit, with a provisional permit to build. This means they want to inspect all operations during the build to ensure that we don't disturb that tree.......even though it's 23 feet away. These inspections are on top of the normal building inspections to be done as scheduled. The liberal.....I mean woman at the tree office has also decided that we should pay a $1500 one time fine for "encroaching on a protected oak that has the potential of growing a branch in my construction site's direction one day" (her words). When asked how she arrived at her figure, she said she uses a my site plan to determine how much potential damage the tree could take IF it grew a branch in that direction. Basically, she made it up.

Last night I explained the situation to my kids using ice cream as the example instead of the Oak. They were confused in that they paid for the ice cream, and now have to pay again to enjoy it. Welcome to dealing with the government kids.

Newcastle , CA
Old 04-28-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPANTS68 View Post
Thanks I appreciate the congrats. Yes Sac County has been very entertaining regarding the big oak back there. When I bought this house last year, I called the "tree people" as they're known at the county office to see if it was a heritage Oak, but it wasn't registered. However, this year when I went through the planning process, the inspector put a tree hold on my final permit, with a provisional permit to build. This means they want to inspect all operations during the build to ensure that we don't disturb that tree.......even though it's 23 feet away. These inspections are on top of the normal building inspections to be done as scheduled. The liberal.....I mean woman at the tree office has also decided that we should pay a $1500 one time fine for "encroaching on a protected oak that has the potential of growing a branch in my construction site's direction one day" (her words). When asked how she arrived at her figure, she said she uses a my site plan to determine how much potential damage the tree could take IF it grew a branch in that direction. Basically, she made it up.

Last night I explained the situation to my kids using ice cream as the example instead of the Oak. They were confused in that they paid for the ice cream, and now have to pay again to enjoy it. Welcome to dealing with the government kids.
That's such BS...
Old 04-28-2017, 09:37 PM

Awesome! That sounds like exactly what I need, never heard of them. i was looking at $40k+ for a site built shop. Can't wait to see this progress, congrats!

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 04-29-2017, 07:03 AM

That is some real BS for sure. Holy cow!

Good luck on the new shop! I grew up in a house that my back yard was the driveway, and my front yard was the parking lot of the restaurant next door. Not a blade of grass to be seen. Now living in the country on 2 acres and having two 36x28 garages I sometimes have to pinch myself to believe it! Having that back yard shop is a dream come true without question.

No rakes, no bikes, etc, etc. My wife and daughters call that garage "Man Town" Lol......

I look forward to watching you build up yours.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 04-29-2017, 12:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Gotta love California liberal b.s.!
Looking forward to this build!
Old 04-29-2017, 05:15 PM

I'm not sure which is worse. Those rules in California or watching thousands of acres of 100+ year old oak trees bulldozed and burned to build subdivisions in Texas. It's a shame there is no middle ground...

Don
Old 04-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Yeah, the oak protection is a bit weird, but it's nothing compared to the $30-50k building permit fees in my county (El Dorado). Property costs still seem somewhat reasonable, but with a home, they kind of pin the meter. To build, you need some hard cash. Nevertheless, there are many where I live who have some nice non-permit shops . . .

Let me know if you need to get rid of any of that protected oak. They still let us burn stuff in my neck of the woods.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
Yeah, the oak protection is a bit weird, but it's nothing compared to the $30-50k building permit fees in my county (El Dorado). Property costs still seem somewhat reasonable, but with a home, they kind of pin the meter. To build, you need some hard cash. Nevertheless, there are many where I live who have some nice non-permit shops . . .

Let me know if you need to get rid of any of that protected oak. They still let us burn stuff in my neck of the woods.
Yeah I work in El Dorado County and it's insanely challenging to build so much as a wood shed out here.

Permit should be all in this week! Come on concrete guy.

Newcastle , CA