Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 07-09-2018, 01:01 PM

Default C6 Z06 Calipers

Anyone have any experience powder coating C6 Z06 calipers. I assume you have to "gut" the pistons/seals to strip and powder coat these??
Old 07-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Default My plan of attack

I wouldn’t. I’ve rebuilt a few of those calipers never refinished just rebuilt. But I’d leave that stuff in place to make sure the powder or any of the coating stuff doesn’t get inside the bores. If u look at then even the counter boring area that the seal sits on it’s in bare material. I would totally remove the pins tho since those are a pain in the @ss at times to remove from all the thermal cycles they/calipers go thru. Id stick some long loose bolts in their place to make sure the threads don’t get coated and make the finally assembly too tight. They aren’t meant to be tight tolerance fit. I could be wrong and I’m here someone will chime in if they’ve done it another way but to me that seems like the route I’d take. Hope I helped.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232_ray View Post
I wouldn’t. I’ve rebuilt a few of those calipers never refinished just rebuilt. But I’d leave that stuff in place to make sure the powder or any of the coating stuff doesn’t get inside the bores. If u look at then even the counter boring area that the seal sits on it’s in bare material. I would totally remove the pins tho since those are a pain in the @ss at times to remove from all the thermal cycles they/calipers go thru. Id stick some long loose bolts in their place to make sure the threads don’t get coated and make the finally assembly too tight. They aren’t meant to be tight tolerance fit. I could be wrong and I’m here someone will chime in if they’ve done it another way but to me that seems like the route I’d take. Hope I helped.
Thanks for the input!!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:11 PM

Yes ... do it .. if you can , a decent powder coater can mask off the "important areas" of you do not you may risk melting the piston seals ( they're kinda important) lol . They also aren't hard to remove ... pull the lines a simple block in between the pistons and a touch of compressed air