Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 11-12-2005, 04:49 PM

Default 1956 GMC now slammed

Im pretty new here so I suppose I should introduce myself and my projects. Im 22, going to school for mechanical engineering and building cars for fun. I have 3 projects, a 1968 firebird, 1956 GMC and a 1966 Suburban. All will eventually hold up to the standards which we have come to call Pro Touring. I just got some pictures of the GMC today so here is my progress.

Here will be ride height

It will have a duramax diesel because as much as I love ls1s I just have to be a little different. The wheels will also be different, those are just to keep it rolling while i work on it.
A few more pictures can be found at
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135587
Dennis
Old 11-12-2005, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the pix dude, welcome to Lateral-g. Looks like a nice project any other specs you can give?
Old 11-12-2005, 06:01 PM

Welcome aboard, dennis. It's good to see a younger guy getting into hot rods rather than the ricer scene.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:31 PM

It has a TCI mustang II front suspension kit along with their 4 link rear suspension. I welded that in before I really got interested in suspension, so I dont know how good the geometry is. I will check everything up front and make any necessary changes to try to get enough negative camber gain(it already has some as is shown in the pictures), and minimize bump steer, while figuring out the other values. I will weld and not bolt in the rear suspension as it was designed because I cant imagine that will be strong enough only held by 3 grade 5 bolts for what Im going to put it through. The Panhard bar is also very short so I will be fabricating a longer one or a watts link, haven't decided which yet. I am going to put it on air bags because I like the look of it almost on the ground when I park it, and I think if it is set up right it should be able to handle better than regular springs as the rate will be adjustable with air pressure. The engine will be set back and as low as I can get it without it dragging the ground or taking too much room from me inside. I have yet to determine how much this will be since I am still looking for the duramax diesel to put in it. I decided to go with a duramax because they put out impressive power and insane amounts of torque, and I have never seen a diesel in a vehicle like this. As soon as I get the engine and transmission I will be triangulating the frame as much as possible to handle the torque. The rear end is a Ford 9" with disc brakes from a lincoln Versailles. I will be welding in reinforcements to minimize housing deflection. I have kicked up the frame about 8" from stock in the back in order to get it this low. The floor of the bed will have to be moved up as well. The interior will feature a painted console that ties into the dash and flows up around the back of the eggshell leather upholstered seats. I havent decided if and how to put in a roll cage so that it will be near invisible while adding safety and structural integrity.
I will be doing my best to make this truck as aerodynamic as possible given the shape. It will have a full belly pan with a little Idea I have been working on for the rear. I assume given the shape and the weight distribution this truck will need some down force in the rear, but spoilers are ugly so I am going to try basically an underbody spoiler. It will scoop up the air that does get under the truck from right behind the axle housing, and direct it up and out the back under the tailgate. I will use fans to create downforce much like the lamborghini murcielago or the mcllaren
Really theres just a whole lot to do and not a lot done yet, but Its come a long ways since I got it.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:43 AM

Awesome looking project you have there! I have always liked those old trucks.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907rs
Welcome aboard, dennis. It's good to see a younger guy getting into hot rods rather than the ricer scene.
dennis , your truck looks good .
rick kirkindall
Old 11-13-2005, 11:43 AM

I like it!!

When I was a young teen my dad received a 56 small window chevy pu w/ 57 hood and grille on part trade for another car, this was suppose to be my first ride. The chassis was already gone threw and painted...just needed everything else. After his heart attach he decided his car building days were over, so it was sold. My dad's health is way more important than a truck...but it sure would have been nice to have that as a first car/truck and not the toyota truck I ended up getting.

Keep us updated!!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:04 PM

That duramax diesel will be awesome . cant wait till this truck is done . please keep us updated !
Mini tub/AIR Ride
RMS Suspension
CURRENTLY FOR SALE !!!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:58 PM

Is the truck bagged? It looks like it. Looks good so far.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Administrator

A Duramax would be cool in that truck.

My LS7 69 Camaro