Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts
Default Long Range Precision shooting

I don't know if other guys on here are in to this or not --- but since I sold my little shed and cars and tools and all that dearly mattered to me.... when I got cancer.... I've got too much time on my hands and spend more time at my local range playing with long distance shooting....

I made a dumb little video - amatuer attempt at editing.... LOL

Merry Xmas all !!

The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
camcojb (04-11-2018)
Old 12-23-2017, 05:22 PM

Good stuff GW! Where's the LIKE button?

What are you shootin'? What's your loadout? External vs. Terminal ballistics?

Time of flight on these shots is fun to watch!
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Last edited by OLDFLM; 12-23-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
Good stuff GW! Where's the LIKE button?

What are you shootin'? What's your loadout? External vs. Terminal ballistics?

Time of flight on these shots is fun to watch!

That rifle is my Surgeon action - Bartlein barrel - Cadex Defence Dual Strike chassis - 6.5 Creedmoor -- Hornady ELD-Match 140 grain - Has a NightForce 7 X 35 ATACR scope.... Bench rest only. It's HEAVY.

Come up was 27.25 MOA -- with 2 MOA right windage -- and still was fussing with holdover depending on where I could see it landing.

That round leaves at 2710 fps --- and is only 1392 fps at the target.... but is good out to beyond 1500 (as far as our range has steel). It's dropping like a stone..... my come up at 1500 yards is 61 MOA.... double that of the 1050 yarder.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/attachme...1&d=1514081949
Attached Images

Last edited by GregWeld; 12-23-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 12-23-2017, 10:18 PM

Cool stuff - - I don't know much about it... I like guns and shooting, but don't spend much time doing it any more. I appreciate anything done well. You need more hobbies!
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 12-24-2017, 08:32 AM

I would love to do some long range shooting, there's no where around here that supports it. Any shooting would involve out of state travel...with long guns. Only being able to do it a couple times a year would make it pointless... like going to the track once a year and expecting to get better.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
I would love to do some long range shooting, there's no where around here that supports it. Any shooting would involve out of state travel...with long guns. Only being able to do it a couple times a year would make it pointless... like going to the track once a year and expecting to get better.

FACT!!!

The range here is 15 minutes from my house (we have zero traffic) - and I can just run down for a few minutes -- or -- more normally -- be there for hours. Like racing -- the same guys seem to show up and we've become "social".

We have rifle range steel out to 1500 yards and soon to be 2000 yards and farther. I just donated enough to get the steel...

I find the whole exercise to be very relaxing.... it's "mechanical".... It takes some skill (like driving well).... so works for me as an overall hobby. Funny -- the people that come down (especially in the winter) are not the yahoo's... they're just very normal people that have found a hobby they enjoy.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiedemab View Post
Cool stuff - - I don't know much about it... I like guns and shooting, but don't spend much time doing it any more. I appreciate anything done well. You need more hobbies!

LOL !! So true Brandon!

This is all relatively new to me (5 years) === but I really enjoy it. And.... it's so cheap compared to cars!! OMG!!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Nice Greg,

I also like guns/shooting in general, and recently started playing with bolt guns for long range shooting. I find it much more relaxing, compared to just emptying the mags in the AR's.

And you're right, it's cheap compare to playing with cars.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
Nice Greg,

I also like guns/shooting in general, and recently started playing with bolt guns for long range shooting. I find it much more relaxing, compared to just emptying the mags in the AR's.

And you're right, it's cheap compare to playing with cars.

I shoot my .223 AR the same way I use the bolt gun ---- precision (hitting steel) at long distances. It's a nice custom built piece with Seekins Billet upper and lower - Noveske barrel - Geissele trigger (Super Dynamic 3 gun) - and great piece of glass (NightForce 4 X 16 ATACR).... and I start shooting it at the 525 Yard mark - and go out to 800 -- and can reach the 1050 - but that becomes a waste of ammo with about 2 out of 10... I use a Federal Sierra GoldMedal Match 77 grain in that. Too windy here for the lighter 62's.

Because of the distances we have set up -- there's a bunch of people here that are really into it -- and there is an instructor here that actually trains Snipers in "high altitude - high angle" LRP techniques. Apparently the terrain is similar to Afghanistan etc == so the military sends guys here in groups and a buddy trains them. He's helped me a LOT when we're just down there hanging out.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Thanks for sharing Greg...that looks like a lot of fun.

We all have to have our "thing" and you seem like myself that when you find your "thing" you do it right. It's been years since I've shot anything but have always been around guns and shooting and maybe some day I'll pick it back up again. Super cool that you have a place to do it at so convenient, like racing, a lot of us are NOT that lucky in that regard.