Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 PM

Default Project Rebel F1 - LSA powered 1950 Ford F1

This is actually my Friend Bob's build, but I'll be keeping this thread updated on how the truck is coming along. He's building this truck with his Wife Shannon, and with the help of their, and our good friends Chris and Anna, along with my Dad and I.

3.23.14: Bob's grandpa bought this truck back in 1964 for a whopping $250! His grandpa had the truck all this time until he passed away a few years ago. His grandma kept the truck ever since. She told Bob one day he can have the truck, but only under 2 conditions. The first, and most important one being that he can have the truck but he can NEVER sell it. And the second being that he has to take her for a ride in it. After some time, Bob finally decided it was time to go get the truck from Grandma's house to get started on it, and to get it going to take Grandma for a ride. So on March 23rd of this year we finally got the truck over to Bob and Shannon's house. This was the first time I got to see the truck in person, and it looked like it was in pretty good shape, especially for the age and sitting outside for the last few years.

3.25.14: A couple of days later it was time to start tearing this thing apart. At this point, the idea for the truck was a little ford small block, maybe a 347 stroker with stack injection. And for suspension, and IFS front end and a 4 link in the back. So We started tearing it apart to see what we had. We got the bed off after some grinding and "finessing". Also got the doors and most of the front sheet metal as well. Actually ended up being a pretty productive night. Even had some members of the local PD come by and admire our hard work after a neighbor called and complained about us working late.

3.26.14: Bob and Chris finished removing the body and sheet metal. They got it all torn down and down to the bare frame and ready for what we thought was going to be an IFS front and 4 link rear setup.

5.1.14: At this point we were starting to really talk about a game plan and ideas for the truck. My original idea was to leave the truck looking the way it does, and put an IFS in the front and a 4 link in the back. And for powertrain we were thinking a 347 stoker with stack injection still, the transmission was always up in the air. After not getting any reply back from an engine builder I started thinking of other ideas. And that's when the idea of going with the GM LSA connect and cruise setup. I ran the idea by Bob, never thinking he'd go for it, but it did spark his interest. So that was the idea for a little while. Then he got the itch to go with a Coyote 5.0 engine, possibly with stack injection or a supercharger. He found a good deal for a Coyote with stacks and a 6 speed trans, and that was the new plan. After contacting the company for an answer to a simple question, and being treated like a burden on them, he said screw it and we ordered the LSA package immediately. During all of this powertrain talk, as a group we decided to sort of go all out with the truck. After talking with Justin from Scott's Hotrods about a bolt in IFS, and a few other things, Justin mentioned why not go with a full chassis. And after talking about it as a group, we figured that would be the best option and decided to go with it. And after having numerous conversations with Justin at Scott's, and him always being more than happy and willing to talk and answer questions, we decided to drop the truck off with him for some body mods and bodywork in general. So on 5.1.14 we loaded up the F1 after work on a Friday and headed down to Scott's. We got into LA early Saturday morning, slept for a few hours and then headed over to Scott's to meet up with Justin. It was pretty cool seeing the cars there, and for Bob, Shannon, Chris and Anna to see his work. I was already aware of their work and recommended them, but still super impressed with the work in the shop.

6.8.14: Over the past few weeks Justin from Scott's has been constantly giving Bob updates. The truck was sent out to media blasting 2 days after we dropped the truck off, and they got it back pretty quick. Unfortunately the truck had a bit more rust and general damage than we and Justin thought originally. When taking the truck apart, they noticed the bed was in pretty rough shape. So Bob ended up having to buy a new bed and have it sent to Scott's. Also the floor, fenders, and the other usual suspects have the usual damage seen after blasting. So Justin and his guys are fixing all that now. We have to get new lower fender extensions for the front. Justin said they were too damaged to repair at a reasonable cost, and it would be cheaper to buy new. The LSA has been at Scott's for a while now, but I don't have any pictures of that just yet. Here are some pics of the chassis and the metalwork the guys at Scott's have been up to.

6.14.14: Today Bob got an update from Justin at Scott's. He sent him some more pictures of the bodywork and fender repairs they've been doing. Looks like they're getting a lot done on the truck. Also he sent a picture of the PRC radiator and condenser combo setup for the LSA engine going in. Thanks to Justin for making sure they sent an F1 radiator with the right inlet outlet configuration for an LSA. At the time when we ordered the radiator from Justin, the engine was going to be a Ford, so thankfully he ended up getting us the right radiator for the LSA hose configuration. Bob also got some of the Billet Specialties stuff in today. He got the outside mirrors along with the interior rear view mirror. Yesterday we also ordered a stainless grille, front bumper, and a few more items for the front end. We should have those later this week hopefully. Anyways, here are some pictures for you guys.

[/URL]

6.19.14: We got another update from Justin earlier this week. Just some more metal work being done. Looks like they're getting close to finishing the metal work on the front and rear fenders, then hopefully the more exciting metal work will begin on the bed, firewall, cab and floorpan. Bob also got the finned valve covers in for the LSA. Part of the idea for the LSA is to make it look old school, and try to make it not look like an LSA. We'll see how it turns out, we've got some ideas. These valve covers will be the start.

6.23.14: We got an update from Justin @ Scott's over the weekend. They got the new bed in last week and got it all mocked up on the truck, along with the cab. Looks like everything is coming together nice. They finished up most of the metal work on the fenders. Justin say's the firewall and floorpan are cut, and will be going in this week. So we should have another update soon!

6.26.14: We got another update from Justin a couple of days ago. They finished up the firewall on the truck. Turned out pretty sick. They did a very minimal recess to the firewall for clearance, and to keep a lot of interior room. Here are some pictures of the finished firewall. The floors are next, and should be completed tomorrow or Monday.

7.2.14: We received more updates from Justin. The floor is all buttoned up. They did an awesome job. They did a very small trans hump to keep as much foot room as possible, and the truck didn't need any driveshaft tunnel even with the ride height being really low. We're looking at a 4" ride height at the front of the running board, and 6" in the rear. They're now working on shaving the drip rails, shaving the gas door, and a few other things. So we should have another update pretty soon.

7.10.14: Another update from Justin. Last week they got the original gas filler hole and fresh air scoop welded up and metal finished. They also got the drip rails finished as well. Next up they're going to be working on welding up the bed and doing to some modifications to it for the roll pan. After talking with Justin, we didn't want just a basic roll pan welded in. Justin and the guys will be doing some work to the bed to accommodate the idea in mind. We should hopefully have another update next week sometime.

Last edited by REBEL F1; 07-17-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:04 PM

7.17.14: We got another update on the truck. Looks like they've got a lot done on the bed. They welded up the front and rear bed caps and cleaned up the corners. They welded studs into all of the rear fender mount holes, and then ground the welds flush to make the inside of the bed really clean with no bolt holes showing for the fenders. They also started on the roll pan, and extending the rear fenders to sit flush with the roll pan so there are large gaps between the roll pan and the fenders. It's looking pretty good, we're anxious to get it home and get our hands on it!

7.23.14: The guys at Scott's finished up the roll pan, and extending the rear fenders to meet up with the roll pan. I think it turned out pretty nice. This truck is going to look low and wide from the back with the roll pan and fenders like this. We should hopefully have another update later this week from Justin.

8.7.14: Justin and the guys got started on mounting the seats, and building the center console. The seats look like they'll fit pretty good, and the console is turning out nice. Can't wait to see it welded up and finished, should be pretty cool!

8.17.14: Well we finally drove back down to Scott's Hotrods to check out the truck in person. The truck looks really good! They've got the console welded up, the roll pan and rear fenders are done, along with the drip rails removed. Coming up they're going to be mounting the taillights, and making the license place pocket. Along with a bunch of other things. Here are a few pictures from this weekend.

10.20.14: It's been a little while since the last update, so here is a little bit of what we've been up to. Right after we got back from going down and looking at the truck ourselves, Justin and the guys got the gauges installed. They installed them like we asked them, kind of in the design of the original cluster. Which we think turned out pretty good. They also got the taillights installed, along with the license plate pocket. The bed floor is started, and the tailgate hinges are installed.

We also finally got the running boards in. They are really good quality, but of course didn't fit perfect. So the guys at Scott's trimmed and sectioned some pieces to make them fit like a glove. We also got the HRBB wheels in finally. 20's in the back and 18's up front.

Justin and the guys also got the LSA and 4L85E installed finally. Looks pretty cool in there, and makes the firewall look really nice. They also got the door handles shaved, fixed some holes, and installed the hidden hinges.

And last on this update, we had to purchase the Concept One Ls9 compressor relocation kit to clear the frame. The upper portion of the bracket hit the water pump, so Justin and the guys had to machine the bracket down to clear. Now it's all good and has a nice amount of clearance all over.

11.4.14: We got an update from Justin and the guys at Scott's that the truck is finally sitting on the wheels. It's a rough idea where it'll be at for ride height. It's pretty cool seeing it on the ground finally, can't wait to see it again in person.

12.26.14: The truck is finally home. Bob the owner and a few of his friends took the day off and ran down to Southern California to pick up the truck from Scott's Hotrods. Kody over at Scott's is the man that did the majority of the work on the truck. And he did some great work. The metal work is so well done both aesthetically and physically. Unfortunately Kody was on vacation when he went to pick up the truck so he didn't get to meet him. I stopped by the shop on my way to SEMA and met Kody then. Very nice guy to talk to, even though I was bugging him on a Thursday afternoon. Bob was honestly a little beside himself rolling it into the garage and seeing what he's got sitting there. The scary part is now it's time for us to get to work to get it done. Here are a few pics of the truck. Pardon the extra blower lid on top of the engine in a couple of pictures, I put it there to see what the other style looks like and I forgot to take it off. The last picture is a good shot of the LSA as it sits in there.

Last edited by REBEL F1; 12-27-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:05 PM

Future updates...
Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 AM

Very nice build
I'll be watching
Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice truck and thanks for the update. I really that one pic. I mean...it's classic. A receipt for a down payment of $76 on a $250 vehicle purchase. Wow!!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 AM

gonna stay on this one. loving the whole truck movement!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankv11 View Post
Very nice build
I'll be watching
Thanks Frank! We've got quite a few ideas for the truck, we'll see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
Nice truck and thanks for the update. I really that one pic. I mean...it's classic. A receipt for a down payment of $76 on a $250 vehicle purchase. Wow!!
Thank you! Yeah when Bob gave me the bill of sale to scan I didn't even notice the down payment at first. I guess I just thought he paid cash for the truck being $250. Boy have times changed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67XR7 View Post
gonna stay on this one. loving the whole truck movement!
Yeah we're all pretty excited with the start. I'm with you on the truck movement, pretty cool seeing these old trucks come back to life. Bob doesn't realize how well this truck is going to drive and handle. It's going to be cool seeing them have a 600hp 1950 F1 that they can drive all over the place and enjoy it. They have plans to drive this thing on trips and to shows all over, it will be driven and enjoyed for a very long time!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Cool build! Good luck with it, guys.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 PM

Looking cool! We have the same trailer, love the featherlite! That had some killer patina, woulda looked cool but I bet its going to look amazing!
www.hpicustoms.com
Old 06-12-2014, 05:34 AM

Very cool project. Scott's HotRods has great customer service, Justin is always quick to get back to customers or even potential customers.