Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-04-2006, 01:19 PM

for pops cobra project, that uses viper suspension, i picked up a factory viper assembly manual, it contains all the measurements and angles for every part of the chassis.

i took those measurments and fed them into an analyzer program, then modified the track width(narrowed) and adjusted the mounting points for optimizing the RC and bump steer. now if i just had time to put it all together
Old 07-04-2006, 02:19 PM

im assuming this car is a replica, correct??
Old 07-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Supporting Member

Cool project. Can you give us more shots of build process?? Like the drivetain in place and body fitment.

Chris
Old 07-04-2006, 10:17 PM

Default Thanks !

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support ! I just knew you were a great crew.

ProTour442 - I live in Indianapolis, IN.

Mr. Johnson - Thanks for the suggestions and guidance. I have every pict I could find of your awesome cuda - and will be stealing every idea possible I can't stop looking at the wild work you and your team performed on that car. Guys like you keep me keep me working hard at building something a tenth as nice - if I can even acheive that level ! I won't be cutting the Outlaw car (blk w sunroof). That's just one I saw at a porsche show in Calf that had the look I was after - yet mine needs to be lower. My car is a real 65 coupe, single owner, 67,000 miles and when he retired he had the body completely stripped, blasted and all the metal work replaced that was bad. He primered it -and then put it into a storage bin for 20 years losing interest in finishing it (Golf...). He had already bought everything new to completely rebuild it - and that came with the car in un-opened boxes. I got the whole deal for less then the body work costs - 20 years prior..... I have attached a pict from when I brought it home.

Back into the garage to find those suspension point locations...

Going to the Good Guys in Columbus this weekend - hope to see many of the Lat-G cars as possible !!!

Jim
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2006, 12:27 AM

Very cool looking project, and ambitious to boot!

Mike
Old 07-05-2006, 12:39 AM

That thing will have the proportions of a Shifter kart if you make it 10" wider. LOL

Mike
Old 07-05-2006, 09:13 AM

drop by the Cuda and see us..you might want to discuss the driveline with Alan..do you have the vertical space for the engine up front? How far back are you sitting it?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Default project

Jim,

Love the car and the project! Keep us posted on the progress!

Darren
Old 07-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Drool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob johnson
drop by the Cuda and see us..you might want to discuss the driveline with Alan..do you have the vertical space for the engine up front? How far back are you sitting it?

Oh, you won't be able to keep me away from you and the 'Cuda Bob, more like you'll have to chase me away....

I plan on running the exhaust under the middle just like you guys did.

I have a couple different concepts on the engine solution. Packaging on this tiny of a car will be difficult. I plan to move the engine as far forward as needed/possible to get foot-well space. The wheel base is very short and on the 356 the front wheel center line is right where the firewall begins on most US car. The 356 shares a 'trailing-arm' suspension design with the VW - and that concept allowed more foot-well space in stock config. I'll need to place the engine over the steering rack - probably at the back of the block skirt to counter that. I have an LS1 GTO front sump pan if I need it. Or, I could rear-steer the stock vette setup - but that screws up the geometry and ackerman a bunch. (I could make it a trailer show car huh ...) There is a bulge in the hood and the engine in stock vette height fits nicely with plenty of room if I solve the above. I could also lower the steering rack by cutting off the vette steering arms and bolt on the lower steel arms from 21st Century.

Backup plan if I run into the hood line is to reverse the intake and connect to the cowl vent plenum where there is plenty of space with the engine forward - plus that's a seldom used concept today and might look trick. Most people are plumbing directly from the grill(s) - which I plan on doing if I don't reverse the intake. I will bottom-feed the radiator like the stock vette setup. With a little space management it will all fit and should be a ball to engineer and package - let alone drive the wheels off !

Can't wait for Columbus !

Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by Garage Dog 65; 07-05-2006 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Added pict
Old 07-05-2006, 10:34 PM

I didn’t read this whole thread its late, But we do have a jig at 21st century to narrow the rear cradle. The front could be done just as easy we also have a solution to use the c5 diff with transmission bolted to the back of the engine just want to give some other options.

Also it is not as easy as just bolting on a set of our steering arms you need our modified rack with it mounted in the location we mount it on our frames as well as the same exact track width. We spent a lot of time with the bump steer gage so just throwing a set of our steering arms on there wont due you much with out the exact same specs as our sub frame.

Last edited by B Schein; 07-05-2006 at 10:52 PM.