Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Track and Driving Events
User Name
Password

Old 11-29-2015, 06:46 PM

I thought I saw Mary sneaking around in some white, non-descript vehicle . . . I hope she got pics of the "Stick, you Bitch" stickers presented side by side on a certain yellow Mustang and a red Camaro.

Big props to Chad for actually living out the whole pro-touring movement--he has proven to be a cool guy in person. That car(maro) sounded killer headed up the hill toward turn 6/7!

Props to Greg for braving the weather in his rig--as usual, the giant trailer provided a perfect magnet for all of us to hang and go car-tarded for a couple hours.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone. Here is my event recap.

As already mentioned the car really lived up to the Protouring dream this past week. I planned to be in the bay area for Thanksgiving already when I originally saw this post by Greg back in September. A quick look up on google maps showed that Laguna Seca was just over 80 miles from my Grandma's house so it became game on! I signed up comforted that I could cancel my attendance right up to the 20th and still get a full refund as I was worried about getting rained out. I will put my car though a lot of different abuse and risk but having been on track during the rain its above my own comfort level.

Using my Grandma's house as a base of operations I put 1,039 miles on the Camaro between Wednesday night and Sunday while knocking down about 18mpg. Wednesday night was a midnight run up the state, while Sunday was lots of stop and go driving. Through all of this and getting flogged pretty hard on the track the only tool I pulled out on the trip was a tire pressure gauge. Winning!

Some of my favorite pics from the event.

Lots of good pictures of the variety of cars on the Shelby Club's facebook page here too: https://www.facebook.com/NorCalSAAC/...12315592203978 including an original GT350 used at the Shelby School back in the day.

This is the second Shelby Club event I've attended and its the only track day events I've been to outside of the RTTC and Optima events that draw a large attendance of classic muscle. Lots and lots of mustangs (old and new), cobras and even a Daytona coupe!

It was a super cold day (morning temps in the low 30's) and I was inititally really worried about tire temps but after my first session I got comfortable with the level of grip available. I think street tires like the Falkens were a little less susceptible to the super cold temps than all the race oriented slicks I saw in the paddock.

The Shelby club has a strict no lap time policy so I didn't push myself as hard as I might have if I knew every lap time but I still pushed pretty good and had a lot of fun. After coming home and reviewing the data and video I saw a number of places I left a lot of time on the table. As it was, without a roll bar I was limited to the intermediate group and was quite a bit faster than most of the folks in my run group.

Here is video of my shortest session (the longer ones are giving me editing trouble). Lots of passing, especially the second half of the video.

It was great meeting up with everyone from the forums and bench racing and getting some driving tips. Best "Black Friday" I've ever had!

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023
Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Very nice!!! Man i wish i was there!! That trac is on my bucket list for sure...great watchin you tear it up!!!

Did you go home 101 or 5?

Sure missed a great event, too bad oldest child picked that day to get engaged, but hey, family first....excuses excuses....
Old 11-30-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Very nice!!! Man i wish i was there!! That trac is on my bucket list for sure...great watchin you tear it up!!!

Did you go home 101 or 5?

Sure missed a great event, too bad oldest child picked that day to get engaged, but hey, family first....excuses excuses....
ha ha ha, well as excuses go that is a pretty good one!

I left from Sunnyvale yesterday and went home on 5. It sucked because of stop and go traffic though it could of been worse.

Laguna Seca is a great track! So fun!

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023
Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Since I was headed to Roseville to drop the Mustang at BMR Racing on Monday morning - I had to leave Sunday afternoon to be there bright and early.... Took me 2 hours to go from Laguna Seca to The Garlic Farm fuel stop... That's 39 MILES..... What should have been about a 3 1/2 hour drive took almost 6.

The good news? I dropped the car off and the motor went to Borello's shop that afternoon. Freshen it and the Jerico and clutch etc....
Old 12-01-2015, 12:52 PM

chad awesome video and pictures thanks for sharing! What did you use to capture the video?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Since I was headed to Roseville to drop the Mustang at BMR Racing on Monday morning - I had to leave Sunday afternoon to be there bright and early.... Took me 2 hours to go from Laguna Seca to The Garlic Farm fuel stop... That's 39 MILES..... What should have been about a 3 1/2 hour drive took almost 6.

The good news? I dropped the car off and the motor went to Borello's shop that afternoon. Freshen it and the Jerico and clutch etc....
Ugh traffic sucks. I had a section like that were it took a little over an hour to go 20 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2paz View Post
chad awesome video and pictures thanks for sharing! What did you use to capture the video?
The video is from two gopro cameras. The data (speed, g forces, track map) is from my phone with external GPS using the app Harry's Lap Timer.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:50 PM

I started off watching Chad's video on my laptop and knew right away that I needed to switch to my desktop with the bigger screen and more importantly better speakers.

Looks like to me Chad's Camaro was handling the track very well, very balanced, no real issues anywhere, just out there making laps and having fun. That looks like a perfect track day to me, straights in the 110 mph range, mostly 50-60 mph corners, forgiving for the most part, a few challenging spots to try to hone one's craft at...heck yeah! Driving there and driving home were just icing on the cake (besides the traffic).