...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Goodguys Events
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 PM
chr2002ca's Avatar
chr2002ca chr2002ca is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 773
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73CPCAMARO View Post
It is funny and sad how no one gives Mike any credit for beating everyone with his 280 hp mustang.
In the very next sentence after the one you highlighted I gave both drivers props for both doing a great job of driving. Geez, trying to praise people is a tough gig around here.
__________________
Chris Robinson
1969 Camaro SS/RS, 489 ZL-1 MPFI, T-56 Mag
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 PM
73CPCAMARO's Avatar
73CPCAMARO 73CPCAMARO is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 564
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

It is kind of a back handed compliment when you say the light weight Mustang, like he had an advantage. Why even mention light weight? And Greg is right, he probably does only have about 250 HP. I have driven it. It does not have a lot of power compared to most of the cars out there. Mike has it set up beautifully with his suspension and he drives the hell out of it.
__________________
Brian Hobaugh

1965 Corvette
1973 Camaro
2003 Z06

Last edited by 73CPCAMARO; 04-08-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 PM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AriDzona
Posts: 20,665
Thanks: 504
Thanked 1,065 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73CPCAMARO View Post
It is kind of a back handed compliment when you say the light weight Mustang, like he had an advantage. Why even mention light weight?
Because HP to weight ratio is important.... it explains how a "relatively" low HP car can be so "quick". But of course... then that discounts the drivers skills because just because it has a high HP/Weight ratio wouldn't mean much with an unskilled driver. Light weight is also a GOOD quality in a "race car" -- so I think he was paying Mike a compliment. It takes some skills to build a car that is properly balanced and is light weight but stiff and strong.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Vegas69's Avatar
Vegas69 Vegas69 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,505
Thanks: 31
Thanked 89 Times in 51 Posts
Default

HP don't mean jack in a Good Guys autocross. A good miata/driver would of mopped up the whole damn field.
__________________
Todd

Better than Flash: Race car driver, looks, physique, wears the pants, athlete, investor, (I'm out of space) HA

Last edited by Vegas69; 04-08-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 AM
SLO_Z28 SLO_Z28 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 466
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
HP don't mean jack in a Good Guys autocross. A good miata/driver would of mopped up the whole damn field.
Id have to disagree with that one.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Vegas69's Avatar
Vegas69 Vegas69 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,505
Thanks: 31
Thanked 89 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Go run a small SCCA venue and get back to me. Rupp and I ran almost identical times in Autocross at El Toro. I got beat by 4.5 seconds by the fastest miata at my last autocross. I realize he was on A6's but he would have been in the Maier/Tucker time zone on street tread.
__________________
Todd

Better than Flash: Race car driver, looks, physique, wears the pants, athlete, investor, (I'm out of space) HA
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-08-2011, 09:50 AM
chr2002ca's Avatar
chr2002ca chr2002ca is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 773
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73CPCAMARO View Post
It is kind of a back handed compliment when you say the light weight Mustang, like he had an advantage. Why even mention light weight? And Greg is right, he probably does only have about 250 HP. I have driven it. It does not have a lot of power compared to most of the cars out there. Mike has it set up beautifully with his suspension and he drives the hell out of it.
I sat out there this weekend and watched Mike in his Mustang really rip around the track and I was really amazed by it. It's a very nimble vehicle and he drives it beautifully. I consider the 'nimbleness' of his car to be a result of weight and suspension. I thought to myself(as others did), it's going to be very difficult for anybody to come close to beating him on a track like that. When I saw the results posted here, I was like, wow, somebody(Tucker) actually did come close. I tried to write a nice post where I complimented some people and I wrote those few sentences you're focusing on because I was amazed that someone actually came close to Mike's blazing times, and I included the 'both drivers' thing to give Mike credit also. I said lightweight, because YES, his car is lightweight and very nimble on a track like that and I didn't think anybody could come close to him and the way he drives it. Maybe I should've used 'nimble' instead of 'lightweight', so it gave credit to his suspension setup also.

Reading your posts where you're hammering me for not properly giving Mike props, I realize now that my assumptions are false about how having a lightweight car is advantageous on a tiny autocross track like Del Mar's, and that HP makes little to no difference on that same type of track. I was thinking of ways to make my car lighter(carbon fiber, aluminum engine, etc) to make my car more nimble and quicker(along with other suspension mods). I guess it's back to the drawing board for me!

Mike did a great job of racing and so did everybody else.

Have a great weekend.
__________________
Chris Robinson
1969 Camaro SS/RS, 489 ZL-1 MPFI, T-56 Mag

Last edited by chr2002ca; 04-08-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
73CPCAMARO's Avatar
73CPCAMARO 73CPCAMARO is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 564
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Chris,

I guess it gets a bit frustrating when I hear people say the only reason Mike does well is because his car is a bit lighter than theirs. There is much more to good times other than weight. I am sorry if this was not your intention. You are not the only one to say it, so my comments were more directed to others that say the same thing.
It looks like the entire group of autocrossers are getting better and that is a great thing. Better cars and better driving.

Brian
__________________
Brian Hobaugh

1965 Corvette
1973 Camaro
2003 Z06

Last edited by 73CPCAMARO; 04-08-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
kyle_newman's Avatar
kyle_newman kyle_newman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Paso Robles, Ca
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
X's 10 right there....

On top of that - it's the nicest family a guy could ever want to meet!
Thanks Greg, The family had a blast this last weekend. The group of people that this sport brings together is BY FAR the best people around. It was great to spend some more time with you, Rodger, Doug, Brett,...... It is pretty awesome that a group that is out to beat each other can be such good friends and genuinely want to help each other go faster even if it means getting beat.

I know i was not the only person out there that commented on the fact that its a tight group of people when the heads of some of the larger company's, ie. Kyle from DSE, Mike from Maier, Brett from Ridetech, all played musical cars and took turns tearing up the course.

The other stand out for me was Jess Gould was out their running the Dart! Even though she was not the fastest it was the most fun to watch!
__________________
Kyle Newman
Fabricator @ Newman Car Creations
55 Chevy Newman Car Creations chassis C4 front and independent rear, LS3 376/480, T56
57 Chevy wagon Newman Car Creations chassis, C4 front and independent rear, LT1, T56
www.newmancarcreations.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 AM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AriDzona
Posts: 20,665
Thanks: 504
Thanked 1,065 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Go run a small SCCA venue and get back to me. Rupp and I ran almost identical times in Autocross at El Toro. I got beat by 4.5 seconds by the fastest miata at my last autocross. I realize he was on A6's but he would have been in the Maier/Tucker time zone on street tread.
Skill beats HP every time.... just because a guy has big HP doesn't mean he has to use it. This even works at a drag strip. Sticky tires beat street tread every time... Light and quick beat heavy every time.

Mary Pozzi = beat you every time
Mike Maier = beat you every time
Brian Hobaugh = beat you every time


Steve Rupp - not so much.

Sorry Steve.... just had to dig someone somehow - so tag you're it in this post.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net