Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 11-17-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathi View Post
Hi sir,
To be honest, I'm thinking about participate a large trip with sportscars (modball), kinda Gumball but less expensive. And not only that but also because I'm just addicted to hp... I have on this moment a Roush 427R in my stang and I can drive it like I stole it but you all know how it goes.
I know this engine is really reliable, you can take it out to everywhere...

The Nelson engines look incredible and are high end engines, it would look amazing in my car...
Where are you located? EFI?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 PM

With enuf cubic inches you can have a 600-700hp n/a daily driver without issues. The main downside is bad fuel economy and low end driveability.

A turbo or supercharger combined with a smaller cam will make it much more driveable and have the potential for waaaaaay more power

1993 Mazda FD RX-7, built LS7, T56 Magnum, Holley HP, Davis Tech TC, 8.8" 3.73 Cobra IRS diff, DSS axles, Ohlins coilovers, big brakes.
CCW 18x11 front 315/30/18's and 18x12.5 rear on 335/30/18 RA1's, 2850lbs
10.31@137mph 165mph Shift-Sector 1/2 mile speed
441ci AllPro headed motor and 200lb weigh reduction in the works....
Old 11-18-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Understood, I was playing advocate as you don't always know the reality of who you're dealing with in the forum environment.

A dry sump Thompson LS9 would work nicely in your Ford.

What kind of power is your Roush motor producing?

The roush produces 550hp. It's pretty fast already...

Regards
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeefi View Post
Where are you located? EFI?
I'm located in Belgium, Europe.

Regards
Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 AM

To be honest, I drove always carburated engines. I live in Belgium so high end cars with crazy engines, you don't find it here.
I'm curious to superchargers or turbo's? I understand that the car handles completely different with a supercharger or turbo instead of a normal fuel injection (which don't do anything for more hp) or carburator?

Anyone knows a good company which build high end reliable turbo engines?

Maybe it's not bad to think about a supercharged or turbo engine for that much of hp.

Regards
Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 AM

Thanked 1,333 Times in 496 Posts

Mayhem has a 887hp 427 Supercharged LS engine that Thompson built. It runs on pump gas, gets over 20mpg with the ac on and does it making only 10 lbs of boost. Between supercharged and Turbo-ed I would go with the Supercharger. A much more linear torque curve. I own both. Most turbo engines have low compression and until you nail the throttle they feel underpowered. The Supercharged car makes it all the time.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Mayhem has a 887hp 427 Supercharged LS engine that Thompson built. It runs on pump gas, gets over 20mpg with the ac on and does it making only 10 lbs of boost. Between supercharged and Turbo-ed I would go with the Supercharger. A much more linear torque curve. I own both. Most turbo engines have low compression and until you nail the throttle they feel underpowered. The Supercharged car makes it all the time.
Echoing Charlie's comments:

Having worked on many supercharged engines (as well as countless NA and turbo engines), I can tell you it is impossible to beat the overall driveability, controllability and outright power balance that supercharging provides. In particular with the latest SC technology like Eaton TVS superchargers.

I attached a graph for comparison showing Thomson's 427 Supercharged engine (from Mayhem) with one of Thomson's 442 cubic inch LS7's (from Corvette). Besides the power curves pointing out the very obvious, it does not begin to show the differences in driveability. (not sure how to place picture in post)

Both these engines make great power, run on pump gas, etc. - but with the SC engine, there is no 'special' instructions needed to drive it (other than be aware when applying throttle!). The NA engine continously reminds you what it's all about - and has some driveability characteristics that are not ideal.

I like an agressive cam and loping idle as much as anyone, but once you've experienced the overall package of a well done positive displacment blown engine...... well, it makes it hard to be satisfied with anything less.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf TA 427SC vs 442NA.pdf (186.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikels View Post

Having worked on many supercharged engines (as well as countless NA and turbo engines), I can tell you it is impossible to beat the overall driveability, controllability and outright power balance that supercharging provides. In particular with the latest SC technology like Eaton TVS superchargers.

I attached a graph for comparison showing Thomson's 427 Supercharged engine (from Mayhem) with one of Thomson's 442 cubic inch LS7's (from Corvette). Besides the power curves pointing out the very obvious, it does not begin to show the differences in driveability. (not sure how to place picture in post)

Both these engines make great power, run on pump gas, etc. - but with the SC engine, there is no 'special' instructions needed to drive it (other than be aware when applying throttle!). The NA engine continously reminds you what it's all about - and has some driveability characteristics that are not ideal.

I like an agressive cam and loping idle as much as anyone, but once you've experienced the overall package of a well done positive displacment blown engine...... well, it makes it hard to be satisfied with anything less.
Great info.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,457 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
I attached a pic for you Dave. Thanks for the great info.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Mike, great post... very impressive results on both of the engine builds (SC & NA). Both engines have very nice linear HP and Torque curves. Question for you…. what is the difference in weight between the SC engine and NA engine? I’ve always wondered how much extra weight is added on the front of the car with the super charger set up.

To the OP... Comparing a carburated engine to EFI... I have a 670 HP 427" EFI LS engine...and like Charlie... I get 20 plus mpg cruising on the street. You just can't beat the technology and efficiency of the new engines. I know that I would never do another carburated engine build after running the fuel injected LS engine. You can run higher compression, larger cams, and make more HP, while still being streetable.

Once you get up around 600 HP at the wheels it's all good. For what you want to do the super charger sounds like the best bet

69 Camaro-Nutter Racing Engines/427CI LS2 sleeved/LS7 CNC ported heads/Custom cam/T&D 1.8 rockers/Manley crank/Manley H-beam rods/Weisco pistons/NRC Pro Series dry sump/Kooks/NA,92 octane,11.5:1- 672HP @ 6,900RPM, 566TQ @ 5,500RPM
Build Thread- http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...ine-build.html