Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 05-18-2015, 02:32 PM

Question Question about 540 CI Dart Motor

Hey guys I just picked up a 69 Camaro Pro Touring and had a few questions regarding the motor.

Seeing as how I can not get in touch with the original engine builder I would really like some advice from some of our members.

Here's a list of the stats that I have regarding the motor...

• 540 Cubic Inch Dart Engineering V8
  • Aluminum Dart Pro 1 Heads
  • Two Edelbrock four barrel carburetors
  • Eagle Crankshaft
  • Eagle H-beam Rods
  • Eagle domed and forged Pistons
  • Tremec TKO 600 Transmission
  • MSD Blaster 2 Coil
  • MSD Pro Billet Distributor
  • MSD Ignition box
  • Custom grind Lunati Voodo cam
  • Lemons headers
  • Double roller timing set

Disclaimer- I wish I had more statistics on the parts listed above but unfortunately this was all that was provided to me when I purchased the car. Flame suit is on take it easy on me..

Here is a list of questions I have...
  • What kind of Fuel Pump would you recommend for the duel Edelbrock carburetors & what fuel pressure would that provide?
  • I've seen 540 Dart motors with one carb and i'm curious as to why they put two on mine
  • What is the recommended redline for this set up?
  • What weight oil should I be using?

Since the images were taken all I have done is replaced the battery with an Optima.

Last edited by Xpock182; 05-19-2015 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Added Images
Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Www.dartheads.com for a telephone number they may be able to help you? I bet they liked saying it's a dual quad set up. Or simply liked the way it looked. As for oil I wouldn't run anything with less viscosity then a 30. Not knowing clearances and just guessing I'd run 10W40. With that said I'd run something with a formula that will protect during storage as well as run time. Not all oil will do that.
Where are the pictures?

Last edited by AMSOILGUY; 05-18-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSOILGUY View Post
Www.dartheads.com for a telephone number they may be able to help you? I bet they liked saying it's a dual quad set up. Or simply liked the way it looked. As for oil I wouldn't run anything with less viscosity then a 30. Not knowing clearances and just guessing I'd run 10W40. With that said I'd run something with a formula that will protect during storage as well as run time. Not all oil will do that.
Where are the pictures?
I will post some pictures up today in hope that it will get a bit more attention. Thank you very much by the way, I do not plan to store the car too often. Hopefully I will put around 1500-2500 miles a year on her.

I actually called Dart before I created this thread. The guy literally told me that they just make the motors and that I needed to contact my engine builder.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

How about some of the rest of the car.. Looks like a lot of nice parts went into the build from those pictures.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Don't mean to bust your bubble but that car is NOT Pro Touring with a 4 bar rear end - it won't turn - it's made for going straight not turning. Pro STREET is a better description. Dual quads aren't a particular "performance" enhancement... they're cool looking - and "might" get you some more dyno numbers... but a well tuned single carb would most likely produce better numbers. Having said that - they always LOOK cool.

Post up some other pics of the car... what else does it have?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:48 AM

You will need a minimum of a 150 gph pump with less than 7 lbs of pressure.

I'd start with a 10w30 and look at your oil pressure, hot at idle. If it's below 15-20, bump it up to a 10w40 or 15w50. Us a detergent oil as mentioned.

Redline is likely around 6200 with a hydraulic cam, 6500 with a mechanical.

Unless things have changed, Edelbrock's biggest carb is 750 cfm. That's to small for a 540. I agree that people think they look cool but you will need to go to a holley if you want to swap to one carb. I'd take a good look at the plugs if you think it's not running correctly.

Call the car what you want.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Don't mean to bust your bubble but that car is NOT Pro Touring with a 4 bar rear end - it won't turn - it's made for going straight not turning. Pro STREET is a better description. Dual quads aren't a particular "performance" enhancement... they're cool looking - and "might" get you some more dyno numbers... but a well tuned single carb would most likely produce better numbers. Having said that - they always LOOK cool.

Post up some other pics of the car... what else does it have?

Here are a few pictures, I will get better ones of the body. The interior needs some work in my opinion and I plan on addressing it over the next couple of months. I appreciate the advice GregWeld!

I am new to this form as well as some of the terminology. However I have had some experience in the past with track driven cars. My previous "hobbies" were a 2005 350z & a 2008 M3.The 350z had Stoptec 6 piston BBK and a built motor with 18g Greddy Twin turbo kit, along with many other modifications for the occasional track day. The M3 had an ESS V600 Supercharger, StopTec BBK, Akrapovic exhaust & BBS Wheels. Made great power and was a lot of fun to drive!

Unfortunately both of those cars had to go when I had youngest boy. So this car is my first attempt back into the "Car Hobby"

Hopefully I don't get to much hate for my Previous Imports.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSOILGUY View Post
How about some of the rest of the car.. Looks like a lot of nice parts went into the build from those pictures.
The Iphone pictures dont do much justice above. I will be sure to take some good ones. The real work in this car appears to have gone into the Powertrain and the body work. The Vents in the hood are a nice touch along with the "shark fin" louvers are "functional" I'll have to take closer pictures when I get to the house with a camera better than my iphone...
Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
You will need a minimum of a 150 gph pump with less than 7 lbs of pressure.

I'd start with a 10w30 and look at your oil pressure, hot at idle. If it's below 15-20, bump it up to a 10w40 or 15w50. Us a detergent oil as mentioned.

Redline is likely around 6200 with a hydraulic cam, 6500 with a mechanical.

Unless things have changed, Edelbrock's biggest carb is 750 cfm. That's to small for a 540. I agree that people think they look cool but you will need to go to a holley if you want to swap to one carb. I'd take a good look at the plugs if you think it's not running correctly.

Call the car what you want.

This is what I needed!! Thank you!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum.
This place is pretty LS heavy but there are a few of us that still love a healthy big block. You'd also be pretty surprised at what else some have in their garages besides a musclecar! Real car guys like all cars.

Jeff-