Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Fuel Pump Controller

Hey guys, I work a company that does electronics / harness work for the aftermarket. A few of the vendors here sell our products.

We are going to start working on a fuel pump controller. I would like to know what you guys would like to see. Right now we are thinking about two different designs. Both would take input from any 5 volt sensor(MAP, TPS, ext).

Option 1 would have one pot to adjustable start voltage and another pot to adjust the point at which it goes to full voltage. There would be no ramp up at the full voltage set point it would just go to full voltage. example: you have your start voltage set at 9 volts. You have you have your full voltage set at 2.5v from from the MAP sensor. As soon as the controller sees an input from the MAP of 2.5v it goes to full voltage.

Option 2 would ramp voltage up over a set range. It would have a adjustable voltage start pot, a pot for the point you like to start the voltage increase, and a pot for the point which you would like the voltage to go to full. example: you have your start voltage set to 9 volts. You have the controller set to start ramping the voltage at 2v from the MAP senser and to be at full voltage by 3.5v MAP input.

We are just looking for some input on what you guys would like to see in a nice pump controller starting from scratch with nothing taken from what is already on the market.

thanks

1971 Camaro 416 LT1 Project

Last edited by JMitch19; 08-26-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitch19 View Post
Hey guys, I work a company that does electronics / harness work for the aftermarket. A few of the vendors here sell our products.

We are going to start working on a fuel pump controller. I would like to know what you guys would like to see. Right now we are thinking about two different designs. Both would take input from any 5 volt sensor(MAP, TPS, ext).

Idea 1 would have one pot to adjustable start voltage and another pot to adjust the point at which it goes to full voltage. There would be no ramp up at the full voltage set point it would just go to full voltage. example: you have your start voltage set at 9 volts. You have you have your full voltage set at 2.5v from from the MAP sensor. As soon as the controller sees an input from the MAP of 2.5v it goes to full voltage.

Idea 2 would ramp voltage up over a set range. It would have a adjustable voltage start pot, a pot for the point you like to start the voltage increase, and a pot for the point which you would like the voltage to go to full. example: you have your start voltage set to 9 volts. You have the controller set to start ramping the voltage at 2v from the MAP senser and to be at full voltage by 3.5v MAP input.

We are just looking for some input on what you guys would like to see in a nice pump controller starting from scratch with nothing taken from what is already on the market.

thanks
Thats a great idea, but it also needs a 2 stage rpm switch built into it so if some one did not want to run it off tps but a tach signal, it would also be nice to have the input for the tach lead to be switchable, aka how it reads a tach signal, that way the 4,6,8,and 10 cylinder guys could use it also, the option of a dual input would be good also, that would open the door to the carb guys that do not run injection.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:57 PM

Default Back EMF in Pump Motor

Jason, your idea is fine.

The "real world" has a DIFFERENT standard.

REMEMBER Ohm's Law, "when the voltage drops, current rises by the same amount".

Raise the Voltage, then there is a problem with "back" EMF.

The best choice is to PWM motor current, though FEW motors will respond to this approach.

Your "electronics guy" SHOULD make the same statements.

These type of products we manufacture, the same for fuel pumps.

You may call, if you like, (949-250-1797)

Lance Nist
Old 08-26-2010, 03:56 PM

We have talked about a tach option. I know that is how the Aeromotive controller works. We have a fix for the guys who don't have and TPS or MAP sensors. We can get surface mount map sensors for a reasonable price. If you are running a classic carb set up you would be able to get either of our controllers with a built in MAP sensor.

If the tach signal was a simple 5v signal our controller could be used as you described. I think (could be totally wrong, its been awhile) my LS1 computers tach signal was 5v. I believe this is why I had to do a pull up circuit so my tach didn't bounce around at lower RPM's.

If it was easy to set up for tach signal and use with 5v sensors we would. However, I think at this point if we were to do a unit with tach input it would be easier to just have a separate unit for the guys who need tach input. At this point we are going to concentrate on our TSP/MAP controller. Once we have that off the ground we may start work on a tach unit.

We are hoping our vendors will be able to sell these for significantly less than the controller that are currently on the market.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6OHNOVA View Post
Thats a great idea, but it also needs a 2 stage rpm switch built into it so if some one did not want to run it off tps but a tach signal, it would also be nice to have the input for the tach lead to be switchable, aka how it reads a tach signal, that way the 4,6,8,and 10 cylinder guys could use it also, the option of a dual input would be good also, that would open the door to the carb guys that do not run injection.
Lance thanks for the input. We are not new to this type of product. We build the Flowcharger (boost a pump) that is included in ProCharger late model supercharger kits. We also build the controller for DevilsOwn Alcohol kits. Our fuel pump controller will be loosely based on our alcohol controller. This will be a fully digital controller with a pic controlling everything.

Our electrical engineer is at the MicroChip conference in Arizona Week. When he gets back in town I’ll have him take a look at the thread and add the technical input that I can not.

Really we are looking for input on whether or not many people would be interested in the option 1 controller. I don’t really see a need for it. If you just want it to go from low right hi voltage you can just set the start and full pots on the option 2 controller to the same point. Also just looking see if there are any options out there people would like to see that maybe we aren’t thinking of.

Thanks