Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Default 1970 Firebird suggestions

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have recently just started working on a 70 bird. I've done some searching and have come across some good pieces of advice. However, I'm not sure if all this will work together so I'm posting to get some suggestions.

I have not decided on what motor setup I will be going with yet, but most definitely it will be a big block pushing over 600 hp atleast. With that said, I wanted to beef up the suspension/chassis/brakes first. This is NOT going to be a straight line car. I would like a setup that can deal with the car being driven daily but at the same time suspension that will give me performance when I decide to get on it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 PM

welcome aboard, There's plenty of pontiac info on here just look around. You might want to look for Frank from prodigy customs. he can hook you up with most of you suspension parts. I have a 454 if your interested.

http://www.prodigycustoms.com/
Old 05-04-2008, 11:09 PM

First of all WELCOME! Got pics? Nice to see another 70 getting the treatment. Also glad to hear it'll be driven! There's lots of info here if you use the search function in each section to look up topics you're thinking about.

It'd be easy to just say build it like I did mine and list out the mods I did and parts I used, but that might not be the best thing for your intended usage and budget. We're here to help you spend ALL of your disposable income!

Your request was kinda vague. Answers could range from better shocks and semi metallic pads to replacing your frame with a full frame and complete suspension, brakes and wheel/tire combos depending on your budget.

If you are a little more specific about the usage the car might see like track time (autocross, dragstrip,road course, top speed etc) and what kind of street driving (# of passengers, payload,types of roads etc) and a ballpark budget you'll probably get a bunch of very good suggestions.

70 Firebird Esprit, 400 TA clone type "The 14 car"
lab-14.com
Old 05-04-2008, 11:14 PM

Forgot I don't have a sig pic here so here's mine.

70 Firebird Esprit, 400 TA clone type "The 14 car"
lab-14.com
Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 AM

For the more competitive aspect, I'd like it to be set up more along the lines of roadcourse style racing while still being able to hold it's own on the drag strip. I'm not looking for a crazy prostreet set up, but I would still like to be able to pull in good numbers in all good fun. As far as daily driving, it would typically be 1-2 people in the car, occassionally 4, but I wouldn't really be pushing the car with that many people. Typical highway/city driving, occassional traffic. No dirt road type driving. I'd also still like to be able to drive the car on road trips ie. Los Angeles to San Francisco or Vegas etc.

Bigtyme1: Thanks for that link i'll be checking it out over the next few days.

NOT A TA: That is a very nice bird you've got. That's actually what I had in mind for mine. I know someone with an old TA sitting around under a heap of junk. I'm going to try and ask if I can buy his TA fenders and air dams off of him.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 AM

I picked her up last week looking like this:

Old 05-05-2008, 01:16 AM

After long hours under the sun, I did the best I could temporarily: