Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 04-20-2008, 04:59 PM

Default ATS spindles and wheel studs

Ok i just got the malibu in the road (i have ATS spindles with the upgradedARP 1/2-20 wheel studs, and when ever i corner there is a sound like a CV joint "klonk"-ing... i found after much experimenting and crawling arround that its is the back of the studs (the mushroom part that is on the back of the mounting flange) is hitting the bolts that are holding the bearing pack into the spindle... what do i do... grind a milimeter of the back of the studs... or is there a problem with the bearings them selves since they can deflect enough so the studs can hit????
Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 PM

more then likely you need to countersink the holes in your rotor, whats happening is the knurl part of the 1/2 stud sticks out beyond the wheel flange, so when you tighten the wheel it pushes the stud out just alittle, causing it to do what your talking about. if you jack the car up the wheel will feel loose.
this is common anytime you install 1/2 studs no matter front or rear end, and only some rotors need to be countersunk, some are fine and have no issue.
goodluck
Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 PM

AWESOME it did look like the studs werent seated all the way... will countersink tomorrow and see what happens! ill post as soon as i get back from the shop tomorrow, thanx again!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 PM

yes, just countersink the back side of the rotors about 3/16 to 1/4 inch and then by hand make sure they seat flat on the flange, also you will need to re-seat the studs, there should be enough grip in them to hold forever still, just countersink the rotor,re-seat the studs, install wheel tq to 100 lbs, if it tq's fine then your good to go.
goodluck

jake
Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 PM

hey duece,
do you have a build thread on here or pics of the wheels and tires? I want to put 18x9.5" with a 295-35 under the back of my malibu also. What is the back spacing? I would like to see your whole car build if possible.

Thanks,
Greg Tholen
Old 04-21-2008, 11:50 AM

Default worked like a chram

i countersunk the holes and reinstalled (the shop that did the assembly had originally installed the rotors and the clonking only presented it self on the drive home)

the whole job took about 30 mins and wholy crap does that thing corner.... i have been pushing the limits alittle in a roundabout not far from my dads place and the long left followed by a right to exit could be executed in a pace that almost sent a new mercedes SL off the road trying to keep up.. and it felt like there was more left in the BU..

so my hat is off to ATS, handling is just plain awesome... ZERO bumpsteer, just tonnes of grab!

with regards to the wheels.. ill post somthing soon.. im mounting 285´s so ill be dinling arround with the wheels shortly

Last edited by deuce_454; 04-21-2008 at 11:53 AM.