Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 AM

What Greg describes above is precisely why there is no right answer when someone asks how or what they should be invested in. Everyone's situation is different.

My situation is way different than most because of a couple of factors. First off, we don't have any children...or any heirs at all to speak of besides our furkids. So not only am I not worried about saving for college educations like a lot of my friends, I'm also not worried about leaving anything behind for anyone either.

Second, my wife and I worked very hard, were pretty successful at earning, made what I think are pretty wise economical and investment choices and lived pretty frugally for a lot of our younger years, enough so to build ourselves what I think is a decent little nest egg.

Now, what is hard for us to decipher (and anyone that I have asked for help) is...the nestegg is not large enough to provide enough income to live off of in our current state for the rest of our retirement years without dipping into the principal, especially when invested in safer, more steady eddie type of investments. But some sort of income off of the nest egg while dipping into the principal a bit at a time, while still earning a bit on side jobs, and having a little bit of passive income from our farm...and still living frugally...just might be enough for us to retire on sooner than later.

I have yet to find the person that can put that actuarial together for me though as it is a unique situation, different than most. Especially when nobody can accurately predict what Mr Market is going to be doing at the same time...

All we can do is the best we can do and try to enjoy ourselves at the same time.