Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigt View Post
I've been following the Lou's Change build LSA swap on here closely, I like the idea...

Are 6L80's becoming common now in first gens ?....there doesn't seem to be that much on the forums about a heap of people doing it...
that is because most guys want manual. 6l80 will also definitely require tunnel surgery.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I have to say I like the idea of a factory paddle shifter in a PT car. I really like the paddle shifter in my daily driver c6. The only negative I've seen about the LSA is the factory redline which is 6000?

I'll also tell you this now before you spend 150k. If you have mercedes benz on your mind when you build a PT Car, you are in for a rude awakening on your first drive. It's a 40 year old car with 40 year old basic engineering, it can't be done.
Way to go Debbie Downer. I'm so happy you said it first and not me. That was the first thing on my mind. My new GT500 feels like a Rolls Royce after a long drive in my Camaro (DSE frame and quadralink). Don't get me wrong, the Camaro actually rides smoother over bumps than the GT500, but the Camaro is 40 years old and despite some sound deadening and good dampers, it still feels like you got out of a washing machine after a two hour drive. That might be partly to do with the engine though. If I were you, I would definitely go factory LSA for something smooth, reliable, and tame until you put your foot down. With lots of Dynamat, plus lizard skin spray on heat and sound deadener, plus that sound padding under carpets (I've got that stuff in mine), you might be able to make a quiet car. Also, forget about loud exhaust, and long tube headers. In my opinion, if you focus on eliminating the noise and vibration from a big cammed LS3 engine, you might come close to making a car that is at least on par with a new Ford Focus. Getting an old car to those levels of refinement would probably make you feel like you were in a Mercedes Benz. At least that's how I'd feel. It would be quite an accomplishment.

I don't know about the GM automatic transmissions with paddle shifters. Maybe Todd can chime in again. I've always wondered how well they actually work. Are they quick to upshift? How about when you downshift, does it take for ever, can match revs at all? The only reason I would ever own an exotic transmission would be able to make cool rev matching downshift noises with click of paddle.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Well, my 67 RS Camaro has LS3 418 with a Harrop TVS 2300 and Bowler 4L80-E transmission. The 4L80-E fits in with no modifications to the factory transmission tunnel. If you plan on a 6L80-E, then you have to modify the transmission tunnel. I seen only 1 done so far, but it is something that you must think about in your build. Mine is a paddle shifter automatic from Twist Machine. Mine should be done this year, but I never built it to be smooth riding car.

I admit that we spent longer on the undercarriage than most pro-touring cars. Actually it was 2 years of re-working the flaws in the factory floorpan. We did some beefing the floor pan, but only a few know about. I could care less if the ride quality is poor, it is high performance car. I couldn't give up the sound of the exhaust! Todd expected that it to ride and be quiet as a Mercedes Benz? Hmmm, Todd hasn't been on the Autobahn! He would have a rude awakening, but I was only in a rental VW Golf. Todd, it only goes 120 mph.

Hey Todd, I have a friend that is a former F-15C fighter pilot, but he refuses to fly in propeller planes anymore since he has flown in fighters.. Ummm, they are rather loud too. It might hurt your ear drums a bit. He is into Camaro's too, but not sure about Mercedes Benz!

Jeff

Last edited by Sparks67; 01-04-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM

How bout this for way out in left field? Pull a engine and trans out of wrecked SL65, E63, or S63? It'd be big money, but you won't find anything much smoother and crazy sounding. Plus- who has that?

Smithcraft Collision and Restoration
Newcastle , CA