Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Sieg... I bought an AEM wideband AFR system. Here is a link to their website http://www.aemelectronics.com/

This setup worked out well, the gauge is easy to read. It's a great tool to get real time feedback on the AFR for tuning like protour73 said.

69 Camaro-Nutter Racing Engines/427CI LS2 sleeved/LS7 CNC ported heads/Custom cam/T&D 1.8 rockers/Manley crank/Manley H-beam rods/Weisco pistons/NRC Pro Series dry sump/Kooks/NA,92 octane,11.5:1- 672HP @ 6,900RPM, 566TQ @ 5,500RPM
Build Thread- http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...ine-build.html
Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Thank you.

Your car is awesome! Appears our builds have somewhat similar objectives and I'm a big fan of 2nd Gen's and Yellow.

My carb came with 6.5 power valves and 70 air bleeds.......seat of the pants tuning and experimenting along with baselines from the previous Demon carb have lead me to 5.0 power valve and richening the idle circuit. Somewhat opposite of your situation..........how many inches of vacuum does your motor have at idle? What A/F monitor are you running?

The carb circuit that I don't have a good feel for yet is the idle bypass valve........as is the idle circuit wants that valve completely shut (no additional air) which leads me to believe the idle air bleeds were too big. On the scale of available jets 70's are close to the largest. So I'm assuming smaller idle air bleeds will make the idle bypass valve functional. I don't like having any circuit set at the extreme range of adjustment high or low. If altitude, temp, and air desity change I want to insure there's room to adjust the circuit........balance is good.

Here's the tuning guide for the Ultra HP.
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...R10565rev1.pdf

Getting a carb right in the garages is one thing, on the street is another, and under hard braking yet another.........there are times it could be considered a masochistic process.
Thanks for the kind words on the car!

Even with the GM H.O.T. cam (fairly mild, but better than the stock ZZ4 cam), I'm at 16-17" inches of vacuum at idle. I've gone to bigger idle air bleeds to try to lean out that rich idle which has improved it, but still needs work. I still have a slight stumble at take off.

The wideband O2 sensor I went with was the Innovate Motorsports MTX-L http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 02-24-2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

The Innovative unit and Amazon Prime

Were did you boys mount your O2 sensor and guage?
The ideal world would be both engine compartment and cockpit. :grin:

Scott - That stumble may be a simple as lengthening your primary accel pump link by turning 1 or 2 flats (or more) of the adjuster nut. The timing of that squirt of fuel is pretty sensitive and critical in the final stages of clutch engagement IMO. Once that stumble is gone you can then tune for power with squirter volume and cam profiles which effect the fuel delivery curve.

The off-idle power and roll-on performance of my old Demon improved dramtically with a little larger squirter (.028 drilled to .033) and the dark green pump cam in the #1 position.

Roads are actually dry for a change - time to test!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 PM

The O2 sensor goes (If running headers) in the header collector (welded bung) just after where the 4 tubes dump into the collector and put the gauage anywhere you can see it

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Gauge location:

Sensor location:

Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM

I put the bung for the sensor on the inside of the header on the drivers side a few inches back from where the pipes merge.

Here is a shot of the gauge location I used.

69 Camaro-Nutter Racing Engines/427CI LS2 sleeved/LS7 CNC ported heads/Custom cam/T&D 1.8 rockers/Manley crank/Manley H-beam rods/Weisco pistons/NRC Pro Series dry sump/Kooks/NA,92 octane,11.5:1- 672HP @ 6,900RPM, 566TQ @ 5,500RPM
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 PM

Thanks again guys

Is it a major foul to mount it in the pipe behind the flange like Scott did?

I already beat the crap out of the #5 head pipe yesterday, torturing it again vs. installing the bung when the new pipes are installed would be easier.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM

Mounting the bung behind the header flange is fine. On the new LS engine I put the O2 sensor for the ECM on the header side of the flange and the O2 sensor for the wideband on the exhaust side of the flange. Works fine.

Last edited by DaleTx; 02-24-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Thanks again guys

Is it a major foul to mount it in the pipe behind the flange like Scott did?

I already beat the crap out of the #5 head pipe yesterday, torturing it again vs. installing the bung when the new pipes are installed would be easier.
Sieg, it was way easier when I picked up these new Hooker reducers with the welded flange which seal way better than the slip flange type. I brought the driver side into a locally owned muffler shop and they welded the bung on for $20!!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Scott! Sieg is a master with the TIG torch!