Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
I've been lightly looking into more dividend stocks in the last 6 months or so. However, I now see these threads popping up on every single site I visit regularly...

Reminds me when everyone was day trading and then everyone was in real estate.

Most stocks I've looked at still seem to have some compelling fundamentals but when everyone and their brother is talking about a dividend investing strategy it has to make you wonder.

BTW -- I think this is a FANTASTIC observation.

I have always said -- if the grocery clerk tells you about the latest great way to make money --- RUN --- RUN AWAY from that idea - whatever it is -- because by the time the clerk is in -- it's nanoseconds from complete collapse!

I do not feel this way about DIVIDEND investing. Because of the reasons I stated in my earlier post.

I really just wanted to say - this is EXACTLY the kind of info and thought processes that I love to see in this thread -- because you are spot on! EVERYONE is looking for YIELD... because the world is in a deflationary period and it's just harder and harder to figure out where to get a decent return on your funds. If there's no "growth" -- then the growth stocks (they don't pay dividends) suck - if there's too much growth - then the interest rates will go higher and money will move to "interest bearing" stuff and out of the stock market. But -- BIG BUTT -- If a dividend paying stock price goes DOWN -- then the dividend % actually RISES.... so the dividend paying stocks tend to stay in lock step with other interest rate bearing "investments". Their share price might go down - but that dividend is declared as a dollar (cents) amount not a percentage of the share price..... so as the share price declines the percentage of the dividend rises. When the share price declines - I tend to buy more shares. It brings my average cost down - and keeps the dividend return percentage near where I need it to be.

Think of this as a rental house versus your own home. The major difference between the two "investments" is that the rental guy is paying the mortgage on the rental house - and eventually you'll kick him out and sell the house...

A dividend stock is paying you every quarter. If you choose to reinvest the dividend (rather than take the cash payment like I do) - then when the share price is low - you'll buy MORE shares - if the share price is high - you'll buy LESS shares.... but regardless of that - you'll end up with MORE SHARES which will pay you more dividends which will buy more shares which will pay you more dividends...

So let's look at my Annaly (NLY) post above -- I get $57,000 per year -- I have 400K invested - in 10 years what do I have invested if I take the dividend and spend it. Dude -- In 10 years THEY have PAID ME - $570,000 and I still have 400K (if the share price just stays exactly where it is today) worth of stock (or in other words I still own the asset). Now - had I chosen to reinvest the dividend? OMG -- Every year I'd have gotten MORE than the 57,000 because that amount of money would have bought another 3,000 shares... so the following year (2012) would have paid me dividend income of ($7600 plus the 57,000 = 64,600) and that would have bought another 3800 shares.... so now I'd own 31,800 shares paying $72 GRAND per year and if I reinvested in the shares I'd by buying $72,000 worth of shares to add to my pile! So do you see why this works??

I cash mine and piss it away on cars and stuff.... don't be like me. Check the "REINVEST THE DIVIDEND" box!!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Greg is smooth at explaining these things. Hopefully this explanation will help limit your concern regarding bubbles. The great thing about investing in stocks, is that the companies are public (owned by shareholders) and must report their financials information each qtr. When stocks start to get bubblicious, you can typically see this in their price to earnings (PE) ratio. Since 1900 the average PE ratio of the S&P 500 is ~15. The current PE ratio of the S&P 500 is around 13, which would suggest that the S&P 500 is not overpriced on a historical basis.

For educational purposes I'll compare 2 growth stocks that do not pay dividends to show you how to look for potential bubbles. First, let's calculate Apple's (AAPL) PE ratio. Apple's stock is currently trading around $403 per share. Wall street is estimating Apple's 2012 earnings at $34.77 per share (EPS). Divide the stock price by the EPS ($403/$34.77) and you get a forward looking PE ratio of 11.6. Which is lower than the S&P average. Now lets look at Amazon (AMZN), they are currently trading at $173 per share and wall street is expecting them to earn $2.01 per share in 2012. Their forward looking PE ratio is 86, which to me is an extremely high PE ratio. So getting back to the bubble comment, when looking at investments for Investing 102, look for stocks with a reasonable dividend yield, that has a history of paying and growing their dividend AND has reasonable PE ratio.

Hope this helps!
Rob

69 Camaro PT project- LS3/4L70e, Budnik's, Ridetech, Speedtech, Wilwood, DSE tubs, 4 link, shortened Moser 12 bolt- in progress
Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
James -

Nice dividend stream - but DUDE <spicoli style> you need some diversification!

However.... I also understand your trade and what YOU understand... and perhaps you even have an "insiders view" of the industry.
Yeah... I hear you buddy... I'm just not good at (a) change and (b) stuff I'm not hands on with every day.

I do have some gold and minerals (mining) in the portfolio but they are not dividend paying stocks and I bought them for tax purposed more than anything. I had some conventional golds in the mix but some of them funded the OLC build back in the day and the entry point seems a bit too tenuous at this point...

I also have a green tech stock (gasification tech) that is my "stock I love to hate" but never seem to do the right thing with. I first bought in about 5 years ago at $2 about 6 weeks later than I should. I grinned when it went to $3 but held on because I was drinking the kool-aid. When it dropped to $1 a tried to ignore it and when it hit bottom around $0.5 I (somewhat reluctantly) averaged myself to something that made sense. I then grinned last month when it to $0.8 but again... I held on... no... I don't know why why... Today it's back at .5 (dammit .475)... It's been a "good learning experience" but that's about it.
1969 Camaro - Dusty
Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James OLC View Post
Yeah... I hear you buddy... I'm just not good at (a) change and (b) stuff I'm not hands on with every day.

I do have some gold and minerals (mining) in the portfolio but they are not dividend paying stocks and I bought them for tax purposed more than anything. I had some conventional golds in the mix but some of them funded the OLC build back in the day and the entry point seems a bit too tenuous at this point...

I also have a green tech stock (gasification tech) that is my "stock I love to hate" but never seem to do the right thing with. I first bought in about 5 years ago at $2 about 6 weeks later than I should. I grinned when it went to $3 but held on because I was drinking the kool-aid. When it dropped to $1 a tried to ignore it and when it hit bottom around $0.5 I (somewhat reluctantly) averaged myself to something that made sense. I then grinned last month when it to $0.8 but again... I held on... no... I don't know why why... Today it's back at .5 (dammit .475)... It's been a "good learning experience" but that's about it.

Oh -- If you read this thread - you'd think everything I ever touched turned to gold.... HA! Far from it.. the key is to have more winners than losers because we are ALL going to have plenty of losers. It's just part of the way the world turns.

Back about 15 years or so ago --- I used to do more "trading" - not day trading but just lots of "movement" in and out of stuff. Sort of always chasing the flavor of the month (or week). I had enough dough that I USUALLY could buy my way out of a bad investment - and by this I mean - I'd average down the position. So newbs -- please don't do this - but here's what I'm talking about.

Say you bought 300 shares @ 10 and then went down to 8 - so you'd buy 300 more @ 8 - this gives you 600 @ 9.... so "on paper" at least you're current cost is closer to where it's trading... then let's say she's holding at 9 - so you buy another 600 @ 9 -- now you have 1200 @ 9.00

So the "theory" here is that I'm now holding the shares that are closer to the current price -- Works great IF -- BIG IF -- they come back to $9.50 or so and you can then scale out..... BUT -- BIG BUTT IN THE ROOM -- They can also (more likely! LOL) continue to decline -- so you buy even more...

Short story of this kind of idiocy - I lost 93K in one name and only lost $1 per share! The "first loss" I was trying to buy my way out of was maybe $5 grand.... But this "method" had worked so well for me in the past that I just kept chasing it down!

And - it is too long ago to remember - but my guess is -- a half hour after I sold and booked the loss -- the little man on wall street hollered to his buddies "The Dumbass is out -- take her up"!! It never fails.

So the minute you sell your .05 shares - the next week they'll announce an all cash buyout of $15 a share.

Last edited by GregWeld; 12-29-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Greg,

How do you know when to sell. Say you bought a stock and it had a good history of paying a dividend and went up in price over the long term. But it does not do that and falls in price. Or quits paying the dividend. How do you know when to fold and walk away.

How about cashing out some the stock, so if there is a 100% price increase over a year. What now?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 04:25 PM

Good questions!

There's some old sayings on Wall street - that can, and do, make "some" sense... as in "nobody ever went broke taking a profit".... True enough -- but -- Always seems to be a big butt right?

So your question is multi faceted and really complicated - but also somewhat easy --

If a company reduces or suspends paying a dividend - YOU SELL IT! FAST! That is the kiss of death because that means they don't have the profits to continue to share with YOU the guy that owns the company (via stock ownership).

When a stock is going down - you need to understand WHY it's going down - a sales slip? A shrinking profit margin? Accounting fraud? There's so many things that can cause a stock to slip -- or is it the "SECTOR" the stock is in and all in that sector are going down? Or is it just that we're in a bear market and EVERYTHING is down? That's why that is a hard question to answer because there are so many reasons. Having said all of that --- there's a lot of money to be made buying the "best of breed" stocks in a bear market.... and that's when I personally do my best "shopping" -- because it's like every stock in the universe just went "on sale". I love to buy when stuff is on sale!

Now -- the other question was "what if a stock went up 100%" --- Buddy! Your mouth to gods ear! 'Cause that is what everyone is looking for! But -- there's that butt again - you always need to "rebalance" the portfolio... and if the stock has gained so much that you're out of balance - you want to sell some of it and buy something else (diversify!).... Yeah -- it can keep going -- and you'll kick yourself for not having held every dime when it doubles again.... BUT that's where the old saying "pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered" comes from. Better to be a profitable pig. Think about it this way as well - if you had a double - and sell half - the balance is "house money". That is a very nice place to be!

NOW -- all of this "depends" -- depends on how much money you have - how old you are - how familiar you are with why the company is going gangbusters etc. I've had stocks that have been at .56 - gone to $28 - and gone back (faster) to $1.70 - and then gone back to $35.... Those are RARER than a ZL1 -- and not for your average Investor 102 class. So taking some of the profit off the table is the "prudent" course... even if you live to regret it. Scroll back and read my post about the 20 million dollar yacht (boat) I owned. But I've never looked back and have been happy taking the gains and using them to live another day.

Wanna look at a real life - recent - scenario? Look at the chart of NETFLIX (NFLX), there's a stomach churner! And that all came about because the CEO shot his mouth off... So to speak. One day you've got a 3Xr and in a manor of a few days and weeks - you're looking at a loss! But if you'd bought at 100 and sold some at 200 - and sold some more at 300 - you'd be "okay" holding here at 65 (I'd have bailed completely).
Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2006 View Post
Hi Chad- The stock market has been a little rough the past 10 years or so. The S&P 500 is flat over the last year and last 10 years, with lots of volatility. Interest rates on govt bonds are so low right now, they are not keeping up with inflation. If you were to invest in 30 yr govt bonds to try and get some return (~3%), as soon as interest rates start to rise, your principle will drop (unless you hold them to maturity). Dividend stocks tend to be less volatile, typically drops less when the market falls and rises slower when the market rises, this is also referred to as beta. So, a lot of people are looking at dividend stocks that have a decent yield and less beta than the market.
You are telling me. I've invested money into the stock market straight out of my paycheck every single month since 1999. I know just how bad the market has sucked the last decade+ Good news is that I learned I can hold things for the long haul even when things look terrible (2008/2009).

Correct me if I'm wrong but beta within the context of the stock market isn't a measure of volatility or risk by itself. I believe beta is the measure of the volatility of an investment compared to the overall stock market. Beta of 1.0 moves lock step with the market. Beta of 0.1 will pretty much do its own thing and not impacted by the market or events that tend to impact the market.

Quote:
BTW -- I think this is a FANTASTIC observation.

I have always said -- if the grocery clerk tells you about the latest great way to make money --- RUN --- RUN AWAY from that idea - whatever it is -- because by the time the clerk is in -- it's nanoseconds from complete collapse!

I do not feel this way about DIVIDEND investing. Because of the reasons I stated in my earlier post.

I really just wanted to say - this is EXACTLY the kind of info and thought processes that I love to see in this thread -- because you are spot on! EVERYONE is looking for YIELD... because the world is in a deflationary period and it's just harder and harder to figure out where to get a decent return on your funds. If there's no "growth" -- then the growth stocks (they don't pay dividends) suck - if there's too much growth - then the interest rates will go higher and money will move to "interest bearing" stuff and out of the stock market. But -- BIG BUTT -- If a dividend paying stock price goes DOWN -- then the dividend % actually RISES.... so the dividend paying stocks tend to stay in lock step with other interest rate bearing "investments". Their share price might go down - but that dividend is declared as a dollar (cents) amount not a percentage of the share price..... so as the share price declines the percentage of the dividend rises. When the share price declines - I tend to buy more shares. It brings my average cost down - and keeps the dividend return percentage near where I need it to be.
I bolded the part that scares me the most about plowing money into dividend payers right now. The reason bonds have done amazing the last 25+ years and managed to kill stock market the past 10+ years is interest rates have been steadily declining since 1984. It's a damn good time to own interest rate bearing investments during a decreasing interest rate environment. It's not so good during an increasing rate environment.

If rates spike in 5 years, dividend stocks yielding ~3% are going to get killed if they don't have growth potential to keep them buoyed. Why buy a dividend stock that consistently pays our ~3% dividend when you can buy a significantly lower risk item (traditionally a bond) or even risk free item (CD) paying much higher? That's right you won't. So the dividend payout has to increase or the stock price has to fall to keep yields attractive.

Interest rates can't go down and the Fed has basically promised to keep rates flat for 2 years but then what?

I'm an investor and not a market timer so I keep putting a big chunk into the market month after month. And like I said there are some good dividend payers that I want to buy but between the tax inefficiency** of dividend stocks and the fact a total market index fund like VTSAX has been yielding 2%+ I don't know if the extra 1%-2% average yield is worth losing the growth potential of something like VTSAX in light of what I believe interest rates will do... in the long run

** For me purchasing individual stocks in a 401K is not an option, only my IRA. $5k a year isn't going to make a whole lot of difference so that leaves after tax investing. With dividend gains returning to ordinary income tax rates next year dividend investing is tax inefficient.

For others reading along. If buy two investments. Investment A for $100 and investment B for $100. Investment A stock prices grows 5% a year and pays a dividend of 5% a year that you reinvest for 10% total returns per year. Investment B doesn't pay a dividend but grows 10% a year so that both investment's A and B total return is equal. You pay zero taxes on investment B until you sell and currently that would be taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income taxes. Investment A would trigger taxes every year and at the end when you sold (if you sold) your return after taxes would be less.

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023

Last edited by Chad-1stGen; 12-29-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 PM

Chad -- Nobody here is going to debate WHAT YOU THINK and WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU.... I've said this time and again - and will repeat. You - the individual - must sleep at night with the decisions you made for your investments.... regardless of what that is.

Having said that... you left out the fact that IF and WHEN interest rates rise - your bonds are going to be just as hammered (capital)... and that interest rates tend to rise slowly and are WELL TELEGRAPHED by the fed. There is plenty of time to bail from whatever strategy you've employed.

Now -- if and when interest rates start to rise - which will also telegraph that things (economically) are getting better - which generally leads to a RISE in the stock market... so, much of the "loss" of the dividend % paid is made up with the corresponding increase in capital gains. You must take the two together - capital increase and dividend payouts in order to calculate your return. The market will (should) rise in a interest rate rising environment "at first"... because it signals strength in the economy - then inflation will set in - and yields will fall - and so to, will stocks.

Back in the mid 70's and early 80's -- you didn't need to own stocks because a bank CD would pay you 12%! But those are market cycles and 99% of the folks can't "time" them. And we're talking about steady eddy investing here not market timing. Even though I understand what you're talking about.

BONDS - Of which I have a HUGE position in - are TERRIBLE investments unless you're already retired or are very near retirement and you just can't bear to have any capital loss (you'd hold to maturity). They have no capital growth but are bought for SAFETY and for the tax free (albeit below "market" rates) dividends. Unless you're a trader - and that isn't what INVESTING 102 is about.

Personally -- I wish we had RAGING INFLATION.... I owe nothing - and would be happy as a pig in poo to be getting 10% interest in a money market fund/CD.... but the folks old enough to remember those days will tell you that they weren't good times at all.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
For others reading along. If buy two investments. Investment A for $100 and investment B for $100. Investment A stock prices grows 5% a year and pays a dividend of 5% a year that you reinvest for 10% total returns per year. Investment B doesn't pay a dividend but grows 10% a year so that both investment's A and B total return is equal. You pay zero taxes on investment B until you sell and currently that would be taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income taxes. Investment A would trigger taxes every year and at the end when you sold (if you sold) your return after taxes would be less.

That sounds GREAT --- tell me which stocks you're going to guarantee me are going to go up. Because that is the MAJOR difference in dividend investing and investing in pure capital growth. Most people can not pick which stocks are going to rise. And with that comes RISK... Dividend investing -- in the kind of names we've been discussing - have a history - AND pay that dividend. What that can do for you is cushions and comforts during the downturns and creates income for reinvestment.

TAXES are a whole different discussion... and unless someone is a "seer" you can't predict what our infamous bozos in Congress will or won't do.... TAXES and their scenarios need to be discussed with a CPA on an individual basis. What my tax situation is, will be far different than someone else's.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Chad -- Nobody here is going to debate WHAT YOU THINK and WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU.... I've said this time and again - and will repeat. You - the individual - must sleep at night with the decisions you made for your investments.... regardless of what that is.

Having said that... you left out the fact that IF and WHEN interest rates rise - your bonds are going to be just as hammered (capital)... and that interest rates tend to rise slowly and are WELL TELEGRAPHED by the fed. There is plenty of time to bail from whatever strategy you've employed.
I wasn't advocating bonds either. To me, my post still clearly states that its not good to own interest rate bearing securities (which includes bonds) in a rising rate market.

Bonds and Dividend stocks scare me a bit because I expect both of them to get hammered if interest rates rise rapidly.

I wished I owned a hell of a lot more bonds the last decade than I did (mostly 100% equity invested). As of now I have less than 10% of my money in bonds and have trouble significantly increasing a bonds position given where rates are at.

I was generally comparing dividend stocks to a total stock market index fund like VTSAX which has been yielding 2% and which I think has a much better chance of actually achieving the following statement you made:

Quote:
The market will (should) rise in a interest rate rising environment "at first"... because it signals strength in the economy - then inflation will set in - and yields will fall - and so to, will stocks.
Fair enough on debating what is right for each individual. I've seen this thread building for a while and thought it worth putting out some additional viewpoints on dividend investing that I haven't seen discussed. Namely the tax efficiency of it and its increased sensitivity to interest rates. At the end of the day I'm still very interested in getting some more dividend specific stocks and had been researching it quite a bit before this thread ever popped up but is why I've been following this thread. However, it is good to have different perspectives (the point of this thread) and you are extremely bullish on dividends

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023