Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 11-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Kody --- I'm on the road in my rig so will keep this short. Start reading this thread before you do anything. Sounds to me like you're very sensible. Reading this thread will help you understand "investing" at it's most basic form - THEN you'll know exactly how to get started.

I plan on reading this thread and making sure I can wrap my head around the concept before jumping in.

I just want to make sure I can provide the best life possible for my fiancé and I and our future kids so I want to start now rather than later.

1969 mustang fastback - Lots of secret surprises to keep under wraps.

2012 boss 302 - BMR lower control arms, relocation brackets and pan hard bar, cortex racing coilovers, enkei 18x10.5's front and rear with 315/30/18's, offroad x pipe, lethal performance over axel pipes, SLP loudmouths.

"Your boss's exhaust when you floor it sounds like Jesus stepped on a lego in the middle of the night while going to the bathroom!"
Old 11-18-2014, 04:01 PM

Greg and others, what a great read.

can anyone explain exactly what each line item is and how it works on the attached chart. Some are pretty self-explanatory but some i dont understand. Thanks Jesse
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2014, 05:15 PM

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/15/f...prior-spinoff/

Ferrari IPO coming soon?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN_X View Post
Greg and others, what a great read.

can anyone explain exactly what each line item is and how it works on the attached chart. Some are pretty self-explanatory but some i dont understand. Thanks Jesse
Beta measures volatility. A stock with a 1.26 beta is 26% more volatile than the market.

Market cap is the size of the company. Apple's market cap is $677 billion which is calculated by multiplying the number of outstanding shares by the stock price. You may have heard of large cap stocks, small cap stocks,etc. It refers to the market cap of the stock.

P/E is the price earnings ratio which is calculated by dividing the annual earnings per share of the stock by the current stock price. It is used as a valuation tool. In theory, the higher the P/E the more over-valued the stock is. However, there are many things to consider when comparing P/E ratios.

EPS is earnings per share which is the net income divided by the number of outstanding shares.

Div & Yield is the dividend that the stock pays on a quarterly basis. To calculate the Yield you must multiply the quarterly dividend by four and then divide that by the stock price.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 AM

Two days ago on Monday I was looking at my dividend payouts and noticed a few of my holding had been listed at 100X what they are worth. I knew it was a listing error because nothing had changed except where the decimal had been placed.

I know this wouldnt work but if I had sold and they gave me the listed price and then noticed the error what would of happened? This is kinda off topic but it was fun to see my account jump up by many zeros at the end of the account balance for the day.

96 Corvette
91 V8 S10
88 Olds Cutlass
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermonte View Post
Two days ago on Monday I was looking at my dividend payouts and noticed a few of my holding had been listed at 100X what they are worth. I knew it was a listing error because nothing had changed except where the decimal had been placed.

I know this wouldnt work but if I had sold and they gave me the listed price and then noticed the error what would of happened? This is kinda off topic but it was fun to see my account jump up by many zeros at the end of the account balance for the day.

They would catch the error and fix it - and that's also why SETTLEMENT dates are not for several days after a transaction.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1stang View Post
I plan on reading this thread and making sure I can wrap my head around the concept before jumping in.

I just want to make sure I can provide the best life possible for my fiancé and I and our future kids so I want to start now rather than later.

A couple things you'll take away from this thread --- being EARLY saver/investor -- and being a methodical investor, not a get rich overnight guy. The fact that you're willing to read this puts you way ahead of others that don't/won't take the time.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:04 AM

Okay "newbs" --- time to start to put on your YEAR END REBALANCING hats.

What is that? It's a review of your portfolio with an eye to tax efficient trades IF -- BIG IF - your accounts are taxable. Tax trades inside a IRA shouldn't be concerned as all those trades are tax deferred. This is about people that will pay taxes on their gains (or taking tax losses) for 2014.

#1 --- Assets should be looked at as a "whole". If you invested 10,000 and you now have 12,000 you are AHEAD. Don't be afraid to sell something at a "loss" when overall you're way ahead!

#2 --- It is nearly impossible to have "everything" working well. When you look there are probably a couple "employees" (stocks) pulling most of the wagon... and one or two that are sitting on their ass.

#3 --- Rebalancing in taxable accounts is merely a look to see where you have gains (and maybe want to pare that down) and offset those gains with sales of losers. That way you offset the gains with loses and then have no or minimal taxes due.

#4 --- Don't forget to check the dividend EX dates before selling anything. It's stupid to hold something for months only to sell it a few days or weeks before it pays it's dividend.

#5 --- Don't SELL anything just because you have a nice gain in it... or to offset a loss. DO examine every holding with the thought process of where it's going long term. Just because I have a 20% gain in Altria (MO) doesn't mean I'm looking to capture that. I have to really like the shares long term -- and if I sold to lock in a gain in this name -- where else would I invest that money to make an even better gain going forward.

#6 --- Year end rebalancing accounts (TAXABLE) can be a chance to prune gains - offset losses - and expand your diversification.

#7 --- BEWARE the long term cap gain vs the short term cap gain!!! Long term is ONE YEAR AND ONE DAY.... short term is anything less than that! The tax rate difference can be huge. In my case the difference is 40% vs 20% (on LTCG)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:16 PM

This is a pretty good article about 401k vs IRA

thought I would post it for any newbs that are lurking this thread but dont want to read it all (BUT YOU SHOULD)

http:// lifehacker.com/should-i-put-...t-o-1665628446
Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 AM

I haven't added to this thread -- because frankly - there's not much more to add to it.

This morning I got an email from a buddy asking about whether or not now is a good time to put more money to work - or was the market too high. I think I get this same style question hourly. I also respond to it the same way.

I.E.,

The longer you wait for just the right moment to invest - the longer you're out of collecting the dividends. The longer you wait - in an UP market - the more gain you loose out on. Will it go down from where you get in today or tomorrow. ABSOLUTELY. Are you investing for next Saturday, or for 10 - 15 - 30 years?

I hate this question because it shows me the "asker" isn't really committed to INVESTING -- they're only committed to instant gratification. They'll be the first people to sell when the market goes down - losing money - and throwing in the towel. The minute they're "out" the market will go on a 10 year tear upward - leaving them behind - when everyday they once again think the market is "too high". If it wasn't going UP for the last 40+ years.... nobody would have ever invested in it. LOL