Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 03-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Yup. You need taller springs. Looks like Eibach simply put the wrong springs in the box. I doubt that Marcus spec'd the wrong springs, so I'm more inclined to blame Eibach. Those springs simply do not work with those dropped LCA's.

Take the springs out, re-assemble everything else with the crossmember sitting on your floor jack, but no springs. Jack the car up until the lower control arms are level. Measure the distance of the spring pockets to achieve your coil spring installed height measurement, then start making phone calls.

For anyone else reading this thread, take not that this car would be downright dangerous to drive as is.

Ridetech.com
Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfytr68 View Post
Yup. You need taller springs. Looks like Eibach simply put the wrong springs in the box. I doubt that Marcus spec'd the wrong springs, so I'm more inclined to blame Eibach. Those springs simply do not work with those dropped LCA's....
Just to be clear, Marcus didn't really "spec" the springs. When I ordered the SC&C Stage II+ kit, I told him that I already had new Eibachs and KYB shocks, but that I had not installed them. I believe that he told me they recommend Eibachs over Hotchkis for springs, but that I should dump the KYBs for Bilstein/Hotchkis shocks, which I did.

1965 Pontiac GTO - Paul Spotts 421 (433) w/Tripower, RamAir, 6X Heads / TKO600 / 3.90 Safe-T-Track / Vintage AC / Baer 4-wheel Discs / AGR PS / Hotchkis Bars, Shocks, Springs / SPC & BMR Control Arms / 17&18 Intro Vistas / GY F1GSD3 Redlines / '06 GTO Seats / Comp Audio
Other Rides: '59 Vette / '64 GTO (x2) / '65 GTO / '66 GTO / '66 Vette Roadster / '02 Vette / '07 Avalanche LTZ 6.0L / '08 Suzuki GSX-R750
Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

That's as expected. Try the "installed height" experiment. Assemble everything BUT the springs. It will give you a better understanding of your spring requirements so that you can get it right (or close) on the next try. Plus you can have fun cranking the floor jack up and down to see different ride heights. From the looks of things, your free spring height (uncompressed) might even be less than the desired installed height (compressed).

This is all a normal part of the process for achieving perfect stance AND good handling, so hang in there. Spring do-overs are one of the things that separate the good cars from the "...WOW! That thing sits perfect!.." cars.

Ridetech.com
Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 PM

I am curious as to what you figure out on this. I have the exact same parts on the shelf less the lower control arms. Marcus recommended the same springs to me.

Richard J.
If only I had the time talent and money to build everything in my head
Old 03-18-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheads78 View Post
I am curious as to what you figure out on this. I have the exact same parts on the shelf less the lower control arms. Marcus recommended the same springs to me.
For what it's worth, I did have the Eibachs installed with the stock LCAs briefly. It was definitely a bit too low, and I added .75" spacers to raise it back up (Marcus' suggestion as well). I never had the car on the ground with that setup, because the LCAs were contacting my rotors. That lead to me ordering the SPC lowers to replace the stockers. Now I have the necessary brake clearance, but I gained a ride height problem.

1965 Pontiac GTO - Paul Spotts 421 (433) w/Tripower, RamAir, 6X Heads / TKO600 / 3.90 Safe-T-Track / Vintage AC / Baer 4-wheel Discs / AGR PS / Hotchkis Bars, Shocks, Springs / SPC & BMR Control Arms / 17&18 Intro Vistas / GY F1GSD3 Redlines / '06 GTO Seats / Comp Audio
Other Rides: '59 Vette / '64 GTO (x2) / '65 GTO / '66 GTO / '66 Vette Roadster / '02 Vette / '07 Avalanche LTZ 6.0L / '08 Suzuki GSX-R750