Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 05-16-2008, 06:32 AM

Question Air Ride or Coilovers?

Hey Everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, had everything planned out on what I was doing on my 68 Camaro project, but as it's been a while since any progress, more new (awesome) goodies have been released on to the market! So plans are changing constantly

Here's the lowdown:

Front: DSE coilover conversion (Not yet installed).
Rear: Lateral Dynamics 3-Link (awesome kit!) Almost done.

My original intention was to go for a coilover setup (Penske), but I am not sure they would fit on the DSE setup. Now, due to the roads being totally crap in the UK, with pot-holes the size of the Grand canyon shaking your teeth, internal organs etc to oblivion, I thought maybe I should consider Air ride suspension. (I've been reading loads of positive feedback on Air on these forums - and like the idea of being able to adjust the suspension for speed bumps, aforementioned pot-holes etc).

My main concern is am I going to compromise the 3-link?, and the overall handling if I use air suspension? Will it fit my current setup? Should I stick with my original plan for coilovers?

Any pro/cons would be appreciated. I do intend to track day the car - so need good suspension performance - but mainly street/show car (driven hard of course )

Considered options: New front clip, ATS Chicane LM, stick with DSE, aargh too many options

Sorry for the long thread, any more info required, then just ask

Thanks in advance...
Mark
Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 AM

I would have to think the Air Ride with the 3 link would be AWESOME. If it were me, I would put a Art Morrison subframe in it since the AME sub has a Air Ride option now. The DSE sbframe will not take Air Ride, so that removes the DSE frame as a option for you.

You could get a good set up modding your front frame with the Air Ride, but for the kind of car it sounds like your building, and to match that rear suspension, I would do AME subframe.

JMO, and you know what they say about those opinon thingys!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:00 AM

Kenny Davis and his gang used a LD 3 link and an AME front sub with Air Ride on the silver '69 that they built. I've only seen pics, but it looks great.
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!