Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 PM

Question How Low

im in the middle of building a 1971 camaro.im running stock suspension for now.i plan on putting 18x10 on rear and 18x8 on front.i have been reading alot on this web site and there is a lot of good info passed around.so i would like to know how low u can go.i planned on 2in in front and 1 1/2 in rear.will this be low enough to tuck the tires under the fenders to give it the pro tour look. thanks for any comments.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 AM

Post more details

im new to this site so please be patient.i thought i would get a reply even if it was bad.maybe i didnt give enough details.i want to run stock suspention
except for springs.im planning to run hotchkis 2in front lowering springs and
hotchkis 1 1/2in rear lowering springs and i plan to completly rebuild front and rear. i want to put 18x9 or 18x10 on rear with ethier a 295 - 315 tire on rear
i want to put 18x8 on front but have not figured out what size tire on front yet. my plan is once i get the car on the road and when i can afford to do upgrades i want to do coilover suspention but for know i just want to get the car close without running into a lot of problems.thank you for ANY COMMENTS.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Supporting Member

If you use Hotchkis lowering springs it will be cool. It will be low enough to look good but high enough to drive normally. You might be checking out the exhaust so you don't put the pipes to far down, then you might hit speedbumps.

Good Luck

Jan
www.protouring.se www.carphotos.se
Old 06-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Hello, I am somewhat new to this site but I have 25 years of experience and I have owned 3 2nd gen camaros. I owned those before pro touring was the deal. Pro touring does have a look but I believe the heart and purpose of por-touring is function over form. If you lower your camaro to much with just springs you will alter the front end geometery for the worse. I believe the numbers you list will be a good. But a good visual reference is to view the lower control arms from the front at your new ride height. I keep the arms paralell with the ground and avoid lowering the car to the point that they run up hill from the center out. With the arms parallel you will find that a camber adjustment to less than -1deg and keeping a good amount of + caster(at least +3 to 4 deg) will be tricky but do-able. Moog makes an offset upper a-arm shaft that will help. You can go lower with spindles but tire clearance will become an issue. Or spend some money for one of the many aftermarket set ups. If you do this by all the parts for one company so you do not run into compatibility issues. I was on a tight budget when I owned my Camaros and the affordable set up that worked for me was trimmed to custom length Heavt Duty springs(Level a-arms), Urethane bushings(well lubed) Moog offset upper a-arm shaft, a trans-am WS6 32 mm(1 1/8") sway bar from local salvage, and KYB gas adjust shocks. Urethane bushing are Okay and an improvement over stock rubber but are still a compromise. The material urethane is naturally sticky and will squeak if not installed correctly and lubed. I have made most of the mistakes myself. So here is my 2 cents worth. Get the graphite impregnated bushings this will help the squeak issue but not 100%. Also get bushings that come with new outer shells. After you have pressed the bushings shells in your arms make sure that the urethane bushing will spin and are not bound up. I have used a ball brake hone to hone the shell to size if needed. Don't go to far or you will have to much clearance. I halve read that urethane is petroleum based and if you lube it with chassis grease the urethane can soften so get plenty of the recommended lube and apply it to all surfaces that rub and slide on metal. If the urethane fits to tight into the shell any lube will be wipped off and you will have a squeak. Get some urethane bump stops when you get your bushings. Good luck and most of all enjoy. Also if you have not already replaced the body/sub frame mounts do so it will tighten up the car and be a great improvement.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 PM

hey i'm in the process of building a 72 camaro. it's almost done and i can't wait to drive it. i wanted the pro tour look so i went with detroit speed 3" lowering leafs, they went in super easy. the mistake i regret the most is not going with their tubular control arms and front coils. instead i bought the hotchkis set up before hand. i got a little ahead of myself. the detroit front set-up is more money but if i could do it again i would not think twice. so i have the hotchkis coils and when i dropped it back down i went about a half inch lower. supposed to be 2 1/2. so i talked to a few people on here, after some pictures and some knowledge gained from fellow members i cut them and i have just put them back in. i hope it works this time. save yourself the headache. in my opinion get the DSE stuff. better set-up and slides right in.
good luck
Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 PM

thank you for the ideas.i have really considered urethane bushings but my concerns are the sweak.i plan on driving the car every day its sunny.i had show cars and i want true street that u can show.i worry about noisy suspension.i do plan on coilovers and tubular a arms.i want to get the car built in a short time. i not rushing the build but there are things i can do down the road to improve the car but keeping it streetable.on the urethane bushings.is there performance bushing somewhere between stock and urethane.thanks again your comments help alot.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 PM

I have 18x8s and 18x10s on my 73 camaro. I went with the Hotchkis springs in the front and cut a coil off just to get it to site right. In the back is stock but am planning on purchasing Heidts rear 4 link for the car. It is bolt on and
can adjust to up to 3 inches up or down. Plus 1" more clearance for tire.

I have 285 in back but wuill be getting 295s soon. 305s a little too big but can be done with some messaging of the inner fender wells. but watch the hieght.