Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Varishock Eye Bolt Mounting

I have the Varishock front coil over shocks with 650lb springs on a 69 Chevelle that are retained at the top using the stock shock hole mount. I have had a few people question the strength of this small diameter stud that holds the weight of the car causing me to re-think this. I talked to Chassisworks about changing the top piece to an eye bolt and fabbing the bracket to mount it much like Detroit Speed does with Koni shocks on the camaros. While they felt confident about their design, they understood what I was getting at and said that putting an eye bolt won't hurt. So I bought the shock eyes. Looking for opinions on what others think. Is it worth it to do it? It appears that eye hole would extend through the frame however it's likely that a portion of the mount will be recessed meaning I will have to open up a pocket.

First picture is how it is now.

This is the shock eye

Old 08-22-2008, 09:59 AM

I hope you are not looking at the small hex at the top of the shock...the mounting stud is 5/8" in diameter, and more than strong enough. The shock is loaded in compression, meaning the entire shock and spring assembly is supporting the weight of the car. The only time the strength of that stud is put to the test is extension (when the front end lifts) and even then it is only supporting the suspension, wheel and tire, brakes, etc. not the weight of the car. We use this mounting system in a number of applications, from yours to 7 second Fox body rear shocks, with no issues whatsoever.
Feel free to call me at Chassisworks if you have any further questions.
Tim
Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM

How does the new eye attach to the coilover? If it attaches to the same shock stud/shaft then I don't see it being any stronger. I would be more worried with the frame being loaded on the small contact area. Welding on a reinforcement plate to the frame would strengthen it in my opinion.

Last edited by 7TSS; 08-23-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 PM

Tim, Thanks for your input. Thats good to know.

7TSS, The shock eye threads on. I see what you mean as that maybe the weak link.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:04 AM

the weak link ins't the shock
i would reinforce the area at least. its not a smart move loading a bracket designed for an oil filled gas shock, with the corner weight of a car.
i personally have repaired a camaro which the bracket failed 1/8th inch inside the factory weld.i have heard of many more failures, just not smart/
if your gonna push your car, reinforce the area now
Old 08-24-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68protouring454 View Post
the weak link ins't the shock
i would reinforce the area at least. its not a smart move loading a bracket designed for an oil filled gas shock, with the corner weight of a car.
i personally have repaired a camaro which the bracket failed 1/8th inch inside the factory weld.i have heard of many more failures, just not smart/
if your gonna push your car, reinforce the area now
Jake, I agree that the surface area on frame is very thin. So do you think the double shear is not needed, assuming I reinforce the area?

Thanks,
Old 08-24-2008, 10:04 PM

yes, if you reinforce the area the single shear will be more then adequate.
i have made some triangle shaped pieces with lightening holes in them and formed them to the existing piece and welded them to the existing mount and made them go further out on the frame and welded them there, and it has worked well.
jake