Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Default diy: brushed wheel centers

This topic has been discussed before, but I want to gain a little more confidence before attepting it myself. All I have heard and read is to use red scotchbrite pads. I assume I will have to break down my 3 piece wheels, mount them on a rotating device and spin them slowly while experimenting with pressure and duration of the scotchbrite. The complete wheel is polished now, but I want to end up with brushed centers and powder coated lips. At least that's the game plan.

Does anyone have side by side pics of brushed components that have been clear coated vs clear powder coated. Thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Really, no pointers? I figured there would be several that have tried this themselves.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis77 View Post
This topic has been discussed before, but I want to gain a little more confidence before attepting it myself. All I have heard and read is to use red scotchbrite pads. I assume I will have to break down my 3 piece wheels, mount them on a rotating device and spin them slowly while experimenting with pressure and duration of the scotchbrite. The complete wheel is polished now, but I want to end up with brushed centers and powder coated lips. At least that's the game plan.

Does anyone have side by side pics of brushed components that have been clear coated vs clear powder coated. Thanks
Let me know if it works out. I would like to brush my bumpers to match my brushed wheel lips.

Previous Ride: 1973 Camaro November 2006 Feature Car
Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 PM

I have thought about the bumpers as well, but I doubt they would turn out the same being that bumpers are are steel vs aluminum. But I wonder if you could prime the bumpers, brush em (similar to others have done with racing stripes) and then clear them.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis77 View Post
I have thought about the bumpers as well, but I doubt they would turn out the same being that bumpers are are steel vs aluminum. But I wonder if you could prime the bumpers, brush em (similar to others have done with racing stripes) and then clear them.
Had not thought of that. I know stainless steal looks good brushed. Someone has had to have tried it...

Previous Ride: 1973 Camaro November 2006 Feature Car
Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM

The only issue one might have with clearing over primer, could be the lack of UV protection. It may turn colors in time.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 AM

the clear is the uv protectant...