Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 03-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Default how to: install the headliner at the c-pillar (see picture)

I have the headliner installed for 80% perfect but at the last bow just at the c-pillar I can't get the wrinkels out.

There is no good way to stretch and tighten and lock the material like you can at the other locations.
Any one any good suggestions?

>68 Camaro pro touring, 400SBC, 18" Intro's, T4 13" Baer Eradispeed, Airride, Speedtech, Autometer, König seats, March, Magnaflow. Hope to finish in 2006...2007...2008…2009...2010...2011...Yes, 2012 and its finished (well, will it ever be finished )
>69 Nova project, LS1/4L60e, Corvette C5 calipers+rotors, AFX spindles, 69 Camaro body mods, Just got it painted.

Last edited by Moabdude; 03-14-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Supporting Vendor

RecoveryRoomInteriors.com

Keep working the seam out to the side first then pull towards the back. You may have to trim a little of the listing (the part that holds the bow) back also to get it to go over to side
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM

Im not an expert but have done a few sucessfully. For us amateur's the binder clamps work well. I would apply more clamps you can fit 15 of them across the back and close to that amount in the front. I probably use 5 or 6 dozen all the way around. As tracy said you need to stretch to the sides, use the clamps on the sail panel thin metal strip with the wood/cork in it. The clamps will help you hold the side stretch, just after the sail panel theres plenty of room to fit more clamps along the sides. If you cant get a good stretch on it the listing strips may need to be cut back a little more, did you fit the bows in the listing strips prior to hanging it? They typically sew the listing strips in very long and if you lay the bows in you can trim them back about an inch from the end of the bows. Hope this helps

Rich
Old 03-15-2011, 04:57 PM

I used the metal strip with wood in it. I did not know where they were for and threw them away last Saturday. Luckily I could dig them out of the garbage container.

This metal strip is THE solution. My headliner is now nice and tight all over!!!
I stapeled the headliner to the wooden part of the strip and also used glu. Very nice.

After all I found it not that difficult to install the headliner. It takes some patience and if you know how it works its very doable.

thanks guys!!
>68 Camaro pro touring, 400SBC, 18" Intro's, T4 13" Baer Eradispeed, Airride, Speedtech, Autometer, König seats, March, Magnaflow. Hope to finish in 2006...2007...2008…2009...2010...2011...Yes, 2012 and its finished (well, will it ever be finished )
>69 Nova project, LS1/4L60e, Corvette C5 calipers+rotors, AFX spindles, 69 Camaro body mods, Just got it painted.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Glad it worked out for you!

Rich
Old 03-16-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabdude View Post
I used the metal strip with wood in it. I did not know where they were for and threw them away last Saturday. Luckily I could dig them out of the garbage container.

This metal strip is THE solution. My headliner is now nice and tight all over!!!
I stapeled the headliner to the wooden part of the strip and also used glu. Very nice.

After all I found it not that difficult to install the headliner. It takes some patience and if you know how it works its very doable.

thanks guys!!
Do you have a pic of these strips? Did they come with the headliner...I have a new headliner but have yet to open the box. I may be doing this install myself...love how you guys post this tech, thanks!!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Tony,

The steel strips have wood or cork inlayed into them for staples, contact adhesive on them also helps, its a gm part. They span the width of the inner sail panel through the oval cut out in the sheet metal. Look at this pic, 2 small sheet metal screws on each end hold them in place.- Rich
Old 03-17-2011, 12:16 PM

These strips are original and behind the original sail panels.
you can also buy them here:
http://www.heartbeatcity.com/store/p...ips--67-68-69/

You can staple the headliner to these trips with a stapler.
I pre heated the headliner so that it would stretch better.

After all I found installing the headliner not that difficult. You just have to know what you are doing. I found it out the hard way.
I glued and removed the headliner a couple of times. Now it looks perfect.

Last edited by Moabdude; 03-17-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Thanks guys! I will most likely do it myself! I have to admit I was a little scared to try it until now!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Supporting Vendor

RecoveryRoomInteriors.com

One thing to do with the headliners in a box is to take them out ahead of time and hang them on a wall for awhile to unfold the wrinkles from being folded up if you dont have a steamer or heat gun. Helps.