Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 PM

Default help please!!

So im meeting this guy that is selling me a "Used" set of front and rear c6 z06 calipers for $700 dollars, how do I check if there in working condition? And is it a good deal if they work?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirddady69 View Post
So im meeting this guy that is selling me a "Used" set of front and rear c6 z06 calipers for $700 dollars, how do I check if there in working condition? And is it a good deal if they work?
Since disassembling them is probably not an option, the best you can do is check the condition of the dust boots, piston faces and overall caliper body. The dust boots should be soft and pliable with no visible cracks and not meted in any way. Caliper rebuild kits are available for both the front and rear with new pistons, for $81.50 and $66.00 each respectively. Kits are per caliper, not per axle. Rubber seal kits are also available without pistons for less.

A relatively common issue with the C6 Z06 calipers are stuck pad guide pins, so look for stripped out pin-heads or any signs that there may be or have been issues in the past. These tend to strip when people try to remove them cold, don't apply high-temp anti-seize during installation and/or they are over torqued. The early pins as supplied in 2006 as well as some of the aftermarket pad kits have 6mm allen(socket) heads whereas the 2007+ calipers should have Torx drives. The allen head pins are much more prone to stripping in my experience.

Whether it is a good deal or not depends on the condition...you can buy new calipers and pins for about $1270 from us for reference.

HTH,
Tobin
KORE3
Old 12-24-2011, 12:22 PM

got the calipers! their in good shape but will need some powder coating.
now i need a KORE3 kit to bolt it on my 9"ford.
thanks for the help Tobin
I will be giving you guys a call in a few days