Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 01-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Default 68 camaro steering question

Hey folks, I'm new around here but just picked up a project car from a member here and have a question.

The car already has a manual rack/pinion setup which I assume is a unisteer just by looking at it. Can you guys confirm that?

Now, the plan for this car is to use an LS6 as the powertrain. I just briefly put the F body oil pan in place, and it looks like it'd be very tight with the rack there. Anybody know if it'll fit or not? Secondly what do most people do for a rack/pinion with an LS motor? Modify the original pan or is there a suitable aftermarket one?

I've read all the bad mojo about the unisteer and really racks in general. I'm not opposed to ditching this setup for an aftermarket box, but would rather work with what I have all things considered.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyman424 View Post
Now, the plan for this car is to use an LS6 as the powertrain. I just briefly put the F body oil pan in place, and it looks like it'd be very tight with the rack there. Anybody know if it'll fit or not? Secondly what do most people do for a rack/pinion with an LS motor? Modify the original pan or is there a suitable aftermarket one?

I've read all the bad mojo about the unisteer and really racks in general. I'm not opposed to ditching this setup for an aftermarket box, but would rather work with what I have all things considered.
F Body pan definately wont fit without cutting.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 AM

Your best bet is the Mast pan.

Don
Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to ditch the steering rack in favor of either an IROC box or one of the 600 boxes out there.

Thanks.