Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Default shocks

could use a little advice, Im still hunting down a double adjustable shock for my dse subframe and quad link first gen. I think I can get the dse AFCO's at a reasonable price, half of what it will cost to purchase the JRI doubles at 1500 a pair. Is the afco a good performance shock? Im primarily using the car on street and local road course. I have a habit of buying things twice and trying to make a decision, really dont want to fork over 3g in shocks, thoughts on afco? thumbs up thumbs down
Thanks Rich
Old 10-06-2012, 08:10 AM

From my personal perspective, I would first ask yourself what you are going to do with the car? As you stated "street and local road coarse".
Second question, are you pretty familiar with what adjustments on a shock does and what to do when? (no dis credit here or calling you dumb. You would be suprised how few people know about this issue). If yes, then go with a double adjustable. If no, then go with a non or single adjustable or get some chassis training that will enable you to get your money's worth out of a double adjustable shock.
Once this is decided, then you can make a much better decision on which route to take. Regarding shock quality, I would let the product speak for itself. I know the Roadster Shop, Chris Jacobs and Ring Brothers all use, use AFCO on all the rides that do not use bags. Call them and ask them what they think. You see many brands and I don't think there are any "bad" ones. It really comes down to what you are going to do with the car. Also DO NOT skimp on quality. If you hear more than a few times about shocks leaking after a few months or right out of the box, you may want to reconsider.

In summary:
1. Decide what you are going to do with the car.
2. Look for proven quality.
3. See what the company offers for service parts or valve changing/rebuilds if needed.
4. DO NOT skimp on quality.
5. Get the best value for your dollar. No reason to spend the money on a shock that you will not get value out of. If it has more options than you will ever use, you are probably wasting your money. It would be like paying extra for a great a/c system if you lived in The Arctic.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:11 AM

afco makes a GREAT shock....but ridetech makes an AWESOME shock.

the ridetech tripples add a high speed compression adjustment that is great to tune your street ride with. you can set the compression where it needs to be for best handling and then soften up the high speed compression so that bumps, bridge seams and potholes don't knock your dental work loose.

it's always better to spend a little more once than it is to buy twice.

98 trans-am...black ram air convertable....firehawk bilstein suspension.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 AM

If it were me, I would save up for the DSE JRi shocks as they are tuned for your suspension. You already spent a great deal on the DSE front and rear just save up a little longer and get the JRi shocks and you will never regret it