Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-05-2014, 03:00 PM

Default Big Block Chevelles

Were there any Non-SS big block Chevelles in 1970? I'm under the impression that all big blocks were SS. Is there a # on the block that corresponds with the VIN plate that would certify the numbers matching issue. Thereby proving it to be a real SS without any buildsheet? I know people have restamped blocks but lets just assume that isn't the case. A buddy of mine says there is no such thing as a # on the block to match the VIN and I thought there was. I know 1970 is one of the most cloned ever but I would like to one day own a real deal SS and need some way to verify its legit without a build sheet.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:15 PM

Only way to verify is if the partial vin on the block matches the vin on the car and that only applys if someone hasn't done a restamp. Only true way is to know is to have docs.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 PM

I have one and have had it since 98..... But you can still take this how you want
There were only big block ss built in 1970. 4 engines
350hp 396 L34
360hp 454 LS5
375hp 396 L78
450hp 454 LS6
Now on to decoding them documents are truly the only way but there will be tons of other ways to figure it out
All SS had. F41 suspension option ( front disc bigger sway bars rear sway bar
Boxed lwr control arms in rear )
N40 power steering. ( quick ratio box)
G80 12 bolt Rear end
Now there are many other clues some big blocks had a extra body mount location at the firewall, look for ss door panels ss seats,steering wheel, ss obviously with the suspension package and power steering you would have power brakes, ss pad on rear bumper..front bumper would have amber bulbs and clear lenses.
NOT all SS had stripes my car which I have the build sheet for, was ordered without stripes and there are different widths of the stripes too.
If you were to read the cowl tag the car will be for example
136370A144333 that's my vin which is
1 chevy
36 V8 malibu
37 2 door coupe
0 year...1970
A assembly plant =lakewood Georgia. (there are a number of different plants )
144333 sequence number. Which started at 100001

In 1970 there was 53599 SS 396 built and 8733 SS 454 built

To look at the engine for confirmation is very wrong it is so easy to fake with a grinder and some stamps look for all the above information as a whole

The engine will decode from the stamp on the landing just in front of the passenger cylinder head ex. V0525CNR
V engine plant which won't match the car assembly plant
05 month
25 day of month
C vehicle type code
NR engine id code

I believe that engines previous to 69 had the matching sequence number from the cowl tag also here but I could be wrong
The bell housing area on the passenger side will also have the engine casting code when you combine this information obviously you can't have a engine made in July but the car made in April...
If you can find documents the gaurd them....they can't be faked and gm doesn't keep the records so if you lose them your screwed. If the car is original or low mileage take up the carpet, remove door panels, under headliner but then it's screwed, sometimes above the fuel tank. These were all areas that gm was known for tossing the build sheets

I hope this helps if not please feel free to email me directly and I will do my best to help you further
Good luck Ryan Austin [email protected]
Old 05-06-2014, 11:44 PM

Thank you for the information.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:43 PM

Jose

No problem that's 15 yrs of knowledge spewing out of my head faster then my fingers could type (with the exception of the decoding a engine ). Hence why there wasn't proper sentence structure .
Regardless best of luck hope you stumble across a car at the right time like I did a real SS with documents 95000 original miles for 6500$....1998 dollars...and it only needed a couple ball joint and body mounts for a safety
Ryan Austin
Old 05-07-2014, 05:06 PM

another quick look is to look at where the heater core outlets come out, a bbc car will come out in the middle of the cover , and on a big block car the steering shaft will bolt on to the coupler where it attaches to the steering box, small block cars are pressed on
Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 PM

GM tilt (Jim I think) you sure about the covers for the blower motors I know that up to 72 small block non AC cars have them come out in the middle of the covers...
Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 AM

I had to brush up on my chevelle's a little, I looked on ebay and they do come out in the same place as a small block car but the bottom one is turned up real sharp for clearance on the bbc