Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2014, 12:12 PM

Default Parts....and ......More parts!! Lol!!,

Yeah, so i was looking at my car yesterday as i was taking it out, thinking how i had not had the time to install my Hellwig anti sway bars (1-1/8 fr , 7/8 adj rr) over winter because i took to at it too late with all other stuff i had to do (new carpet, all dynamated, new high end stereo new wheel opening mouldings and some general trim to make it nicer) .... And im just having the exhaust system installed today..... Thats what got me started thinking about this...

I have the bars (bought them a few months ago) and im going to install the front bar first and as you prolly know, the best way to do this on a first gen is to remove the front lower a-arms as its way easier to wiggle the bigger bar in. The problem i saw was (well, its not really a problem but i tought it was funny...in a way and what caused all that typing lol!!) was that i tought that if i was to remove the a-arms, i could at least detail them, then i tought i could at least check out the ball joints and hey! While im there i could change the bushings to those Del a Lum i wanted to try for so long... But yeah, at that point the cheapo A-arm set are only like 500$ at POL or Speedway.... Id save some time and be money ajead just by slapping these on instead of trying to restore the originals!!! Nice!!! But.... There is that word again.... If i was to do that, im sure as hell not going to put back the stock drums and spindles, hey, im there... Not too bad. Even good. But then, i realized that i dont want the small ones, of course i want at least 12" of rotor. And the bigger the better uh? So im standing there thinking... But if i put on the big brakes, then my wheels dont fit!!!! And i love the look of my car right now and just put those wheels on last summer!! Ahrgh!!!!!

Anyway, i started laughing to myself and went back in the house. Now, ima. Bout to leave for the exhaust shop and was losing time so i tought id share my toughts and "problems" to see how you guys deal with priorities and what are the most important parts you think should be att he top of the list. (In a fun way, as i know brakes should be a priority for safety and yadayadayada.... And my car is a like new all original 69 Camaro btw and in tip top shape, just having fun with bolt ons with this one...yet!)

Ah, cars..... So much fun, but so many parts i want to change!!!

Itll get there thats for sure. One at a time.

What are you changing lately?

Lead.

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"
Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot1 View Post

What are you changing lately?

Lead.
Took me 6 months to change out the arms to SPC uppers/lowers/shocks. Still need to have the car aligned. Got the alignment close, I think.

The latest are new wheels/tires. Going 18" to fit big brakes.

Next is brake upgrades.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:35 AM

....also known as "creeping luxuries".....
Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 PM

Lol!!!

I see not too many seem to want to discuss the subject... Lol! Thats ok, i was just thinking, or more precisely, "writing" outloud my observation regarding my latest update!! I was thinking how Its part of the hobby, we change parts and it really is the core of the sport. I guess i was just realizing how we must all be the same when it comes to our cars and i started wondering; how do you guys deal with the priorities when it comes to actually replacing them (making the choice)? As, replacing one part usually affects another and that in itself brings, yet again, another change.... (Just repeat that phrase until project is done lol!!! ) How do you guys deal with this "sickness"....?

Sure i could just drop the a-arms, install my new bar and be done just by replacing the arms in their location....but we all know we're always looking forward to the next step!!??? Sure ill have to stop at some point, cash will dictate that line, but its also allright, it'll keep some fun for another day!!!

Before, i was into doing my projects the big way (read: rotisserie / ground up style builds) but lately, i found out that taking 3/4 years to build a car and then selling it to build another was yes, fun, but way too long to finally be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor! But since having bought that "stock" Camaro, (to which i didnt want to really do anything because of it beeing so clean and original) i am having the most fun ive had in a long time with cars!!!

Now, since finally deciding to tear into it (slowly!!!) and having started adding/changing small parts (ie; fast ratio box, sound system, wheels/tires, and also having some suspention bits to do etc...). That, took/takes me back to when i had my first car (68 chevy2) and when i also had lesser means and that made me realize that i appreciate a lot more every move or addition i make!! I also look way longer and carefully weight every option before pulling the trigger to buy a part (especially since nowadays, we have about 10 offers/options for every part we are looking to upgrade lol!!) and by dooing it that way, i also get more satisfaction out of it just cause i keep the car on the road with very little downtime! I drive it whenever weather permits it and it really is super cool. I have never driven or enjoyed so much a car!

I have been out of the forums for awhile as i was not sure where i really fitted anymore.... In the past, ive built some pretty bad ass pro touring cars, i also built some way fast 10" tire "fastest street cars" style machines (thats really my cup o tea!!) and i now have this 100% bone stock, numbers matching and virgin 40 some thousand original miles '69 Camaro to which im just now adding some bits and pieces and making a super nice driver thats, not a Pro tour car....def not a super Fast street Machine, but a car thats super nice to drive and enjoy at a moments notice, with precise and solid handling enough power to have fun (altough i want to do something about that, as, "enough" is not a word i can associate with horsepower....but, removing an engine thats been sitting in the same spot for 46 years kinda tickles me a bit...) So, that's probably what got me to think about all of that... I think im seeing the hobby from a new perspective and i think i finally found a way that i really like.

Strangely, it seems that that way is the same as i was doing it when i started....only, if you would have asked me then, i probably would have never said thats how i liked doing it!!! Doing it one part at a time then was because i had no other choice... But thinking back, i think i wasnt beeing appreciative of what i was doing/getting.

Anyway, i got my new American /thunder exhaust on Tuesday and it is breaking in and sounding deeper and deeper by the day!!!! Another thing to check off the list of "want" to do!!! Next....the bars, and whatever come with them!!!

Lead.

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"

Last edited by Leadfoot1; 05-09-2014 at 01:18 PM.