Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 AM

Sorry to see these Mags go, but I believe the writing as on the wall so to speak for many years. Like the music industry and so many others, new technology creates new markets and opportunity. I'm sure many of the writers/staff, etc. will land else where and hopefully it takes them to a new higher level in their career.

Can't remember the last time I purchased a magazine, book or CD. I was talking to good friend that builds engines yesterday and asked him when was the last time they built a 383 stroker motor. All he does now is LS motors today. Same thing in wheels as I had a request for 17" recently, just no market for them anymore. When's the last time anyone has heard of a Pro-Street Camaro being built with a giant blower sticking out the hood.

On the business/advertising side, print advertising has a low ROI. For a very small company like F43, we get much more bang for a our buck with forums, social media, video and trade shows.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:48 AM

With as many times as Source Interlink has sold in the past few years it all up to the bean counters now. There are a few titles that carry the rest of them in some sort or fashion. And I think each new buyer thought they could do it better then the last and just saw potential to make big money and not the reality. But I'm more amazed this did not happen sooner and that they really have not set out to truly promote the online side of the business like it has been done by some many others now days. They kinda let the ship sale on videos and original online only content. When they could have been the industry leaders. I still don't think any one really does it well still these days. Lots of people try but it really takes a talented crew to bring it all together and alot of cash.

Now it will be even harder to get a car in the magazine unless the cross over magazines pick up more advertisers and have more pages to add content but I don't see it being that easy.

The other thing that I think gives the industry a lack of credibility is the tech articles. How long can a magazine promote a product we have all seen and know is junk, just because they company is a major sponsor of the magazine. There is no credibility in the magazines. I read the mountain bike magazines, because it makes me feel like I actually have the spare time to ride my bike. But the say when something is junk or could be made from inferior materials. I understand they need to make as much money as possible, but there needs some kind of respect in the industry for the parts they promote.

Hot Rod Magazine does what they call a flog test and they beat the crap out of a car to see how it performs and tell the readers what actually happened. So you better have your ducks in a row or everyone will hear about it. We did the flog test a few months ago and quite a few cars had issues. Kyle Newman and I drove our cars 100's of miles each day to each event and had no issues at all, alot of the guys who trailered their cars to each event had vaporlock issues and other basic issues that will be publicized if it makes it to print and to me reporting what really happened gives the mag credibility.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Supporting Member

I'm just getting caught up with this and am not totally surprised.

I've had the pleasure to tech write for Amos Publishing for a number of years now. When I first started, they were broken up into "Corvette Enthusiast, Mustang Enthusiast...etc" and had a very specific audience and staff for each product/vehicle following.

That later became "Automotive Enthusiast" as they folded in their other brands and let staff go. Recently they announced a change back to their original old title - "Cars and Parts"

I've been fortunate to actually have a very recent piece printed in "Cars and Parts" on a Vintage Air Sure Fit custom system.

I have several other projects in the waiting - but we all know that this business has been getting tough. Amos has put more precense on the Web - but I am the kind of guy that likes to have a magazine. No batteries needed - and can take it anywhere.

I like the guys at Camaro and PHR - A LOT! They have tons of creative and interesting ideas and well put together material. Yes...we've all seen LS blah blah blah, until we are blue in the face...but they have made it interesting still and I always learn something especially from PHR.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Thanked 1,467 Times in 1,102 Posts

http://business.transworld.net/15034...siast-network/
Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 PM

Anyone know anything about CHP...?

It's not on the axed list but when you go to their site, it re-directs to Super Chevy.

Would hate to see Henry D out of a job...too good of a guy to be out of work.

www.buickfunnycar.com
http://www.facebook.com/ingenuebuickfunnycar
Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 PM

Well I think it would be a great time to bring out the Lateral-G network magazine series. Seems like a huge opportunity.

There are a few writers and photogs here.

Lateral-G High Performance Tech magazine
Lateral-G Street brute magazine
Lateral-G Track Freaks magazine

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Well I think it would be a great time to bring out the Lateral-G network magazine series. Seems like a huge opportunity.

I love this idea.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post

The idea is great, but we are living in an era where we are seeing a lot of publications dying off. Let's face it, paper publications are going bye bye.
I'm a pastor, and because of smart phones and tablets, only about 10% of congregations still actually bring a bible to church.
Just imagine where we will be in 20 years...
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
The idea is great, but we are living in an era where we are seeing a lot of publications dying off. Let's face it, paper publications are going bye bye.
I'm a pastor, and because of smart phones and tablets, only about 10% of congregations still actually bring a bible to church.
Just imagine where we will be in 20 years...
Well if it was due to low readership or lack of content I would agree but they were IMO and in a nut shell were sold by a liquidation company.

Having a paper publication and no internet support would be the bad way to go. Internet is the future but I still believe there is a place for magazines.

A few years back a member was looking into starting a magazine but at the time there was so much competition. But now if you can package all of the lost magazine content in one rag then I think you would have something.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 PM

I'd say this would at least be a good opportunity to improve and enhance the existing featured cars page on lateral-g, and maybe change to a blog format for those features. Maybe something similar to http://www.speedhunters.com/ or http://www.canibeat.com/. Attract more users to the site through the use of big flashy pic galleries.

I personally haven't ever really been a big fan of the format of the monthly feature car pages and feel that there is some room for improvement.