Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 06-12-2014, 04:58 PM

Default Tremec t-56

I was thinking about putting a tremec T56 six speed in my 69 camaro. I have talked to a supplier and he said this trans will fit in a 69 camaro without modifying the tunnel. He said to just use energy suspension short motor mounts and cut the hole for the shifter. Has anyone else tried this or have heard of this?
Thanks
Jon
Old 06-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaine86 View Post
I was thinking about putting a tremec T56 six speed in my 69 camaro. I have talked to a supplier and he said this trans will fit in a 69 camaro without modifying the tunnel. He said to just use energy suspension short motor mounts and cut the hole for the shifter. Has anyone else tried this or have heard of this?
Thanks
Jon
I've put T56's in 2 '68 Camaros and 1 '67 and didn't have to modify the tunnels other than for shifter access. That said, each of those builds had new solid aluminum subframe to body bushings installed.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:07 AM

I didn't have to modify the tunnel in my 69 either but it was close enough that I had to cut out the little body nuts that are used to attach the stock console. That gave me about a "finger"of clearance in that area but more everywhere else. You may have to make some clearance for the reverse lockout as well.

I also had to tip the engine down quite a bit too get the transmission installed since I already had the subframe in when I did it. The bellhousing was hitting the tunnel and not allowing me to line up the input shaft. Once I got the transmission attached though, I was able to tilt everything back up inside the tunnel.

This is all pretty much completely dependant on what frame stands, engine mounts and adapters you are using. Same with headers and oil pans. The lower the engine sits and the more forward it sits, the less likely you'll need to modify the tunnel but the more likely your headers will hang low and more likely you'll have oil pan clearance issues with the subframe and steering.

So, you have to find a happy medium.

Mine has an LS engine, but my mounts "supposedly" set it in the stock small block location. I'm any case, I'd you're using a SBC, my info may or may not be useful.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 06-13-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the info. This helps me a lot.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 PM

Default Driveline angle

Whatever you end up with, keep an eye on the driveline angle. You can get everything to work without cutting the tunnel. However the trans may be at an angle that about 60-70 mph you will have a vibration. Talk about a bad day, you get everything done and take the car out for it's first shakedown run. You get a vibration and after searching you determine that it's a driveline angel problem. Now to correct it, you get to do some disassembly and cut the floorboard. Hope the interior isn't complete! You can avoid cutting the tunnel by lowering the engine. The trade off like mentioned earlier, the engine (and oil pan) sets lower to the ground. You will most likely have to go with an aftermarket pan and the still won't be able to remove it without lifting the engine. (Not a deal breaker). Headers, yeah they set lower too. Food for thought.