Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-24-2016, 03:19 PM

I agree, as well.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberGT View Post
Im running the Flowmaster Super 44 now and really like the nice low grumble I get from it. I do get a lot of highway drone at 2000 RPM though. To fix this, I thought of moving the mufflers to an axle back muffler setup and instead of the tailpipes pointing down at an angle, just having them point straight out the rear with exhaust tips. This will bring the volume up to the rear and hopefully help with the in cabin drone.

Recently, I watched a video clip of the Mustang GT350R. That exhaust sound is wicked. I'd like to keep my Flowmaster rumble while cruising and somehow get that sharp raspy scream of the GT350R at WOT. Any ideas?
Super 44s are aggressive mufflers, but there are some things that you can do to tune your sound depending on how your system is currently setup. Are you running an H-Pipe? How much tailpipe are you running after your mufflers? If you have a second, give us a call at (707) 544-4761 and we can discuss some of the options that will help you find the sound that you are looking for.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:01 PM

Before turbos I always had Fowmasters and LOVED the sound. The last time with them was with a homemade X pipe/expansion chamber and dumped at the rear. The thing sounded like an animal! It added 100+ HP at the ear without a doubt!! LoL! If any of y'all were on the PT in 2000 or so and saw it throw parts on the dyno at Comp, then you can attest!

I tried with the flows for a year or so with the turbos, but it didn't sound right and ended up changing them for some straight thru Dynomax bullets. After we built the TQ arm setup, I had to go with single 4" exhaust and ended up getting a Magnaflow and really like the way it sounds. Nowhere near as good as a high compression engine with flows, but still pretty good tone and volume.

So me personally, I like to hear a deep rumble with little resonance and not obnoxiously loud at WoT.

This is the best video I have with the current exhaust.
www.fquick.com/shmoov69
Old 11-27-2016, 10:46 PM

My 89 C4 has a Lingenfelter SBC 427 with TPIS Long tube headers into a "Y" into a single 3 1/2", into. "Y" and to two Delta 50s at the rear bumper. I love the sound but, the single 3 1/2" and the two mufflers weighs 43 pounds. I am thinking about putting a 24" Slim Line with 3 1/2" in/out with a 4 1/2" diameter up to the front "Y" and dumping/angling down the exit in order. I hope the sound doesn't exceed 100 dB at 50'.

I should be able to save a lot of weight with a Slim Line muffler.

Last edited by Nokones; 11-28-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default cut outs

Stuck with 2.5" on the LS6. Magnaflow exhaust. I like the attenuated rumble.. even better are the cutouts.. which I can open a little,... or a lot and really hear the rumble. Don't get me wrong tho.. the magnaflows definitely wake up when you get the rpm's revvn'.

Exhaust Cut Outs make it nice to have that option of scaring your neighbor and unleash the beast within', then quietly cruise on and enjoy hands free unit to take a phone call.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:41 PM

im a magnaflow man.had it on my daily driver dakota and was great sound and idle rumble.i have them on my 66 too and sounds great.had flow masters on my 66 and had to ditch them .liked them on other cars but sound was all wrong for my car.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:31 PM

deep rumble that you can "feel" at idle and cruising and screaming at WOT

61 Buick Lesabre Bubbletop (daily driver)......miles of smiles
Old 12-06-2016, 09:09 PM

So i will try to research this after asking actually but good for conversation. We can all agree that an LS motor can sound horrible sometimes but dangit if C6 corvettes don't typically make the most beautiful sounds out there. but why is that exactly?

1967 GTO, LS2 T56

WILWOOD FORGELINE RIDETECH
$10k Budget driver/ track car
Old 12-06-2016, 09:40 PM

I have been hotrodding since the early 70s so I prefer the old school sound. But I find as I get older I like a bit less noise so I can talk while I want to get peoples attention with the loud pedal. I prefer the sound of the Flowmasters over the Magnaflows, they just sound right. I'm currently running 3" exhaust front to rear and started with 40 series but later changed to 50 series mufflers. I have considered adding an H or X pipe, but I don't like how they change the sound. This is an older pic when I still was running my old ST10 four speed but the exhaust is essentially the same except for 50 series mufflers and longer turn downs now.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 12-06-2016 at 09:53 PM.