Good job Marty!!

The Following User Says Thank You to 214Chevy For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:36 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,753 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
Food for thought on the air cleaner. Now you're sucking in hot radiator air, with an intake you'll be sucking in cooler air.
Agree 100%

I have a crazy idea in my head of running the tube down and having an air box built under the nose of the car.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
The Following User Says Thank You to syborg tt For This Useful Post:
OLDFLM (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Agree 100%

I have a crazy idea in my head of running the tube down and having an air box built under the nose of the car.
I've seen a few builds like that too. I don't care for that design myself because I still feel like thats the hottest air blowing over the entire tube to heat soak it vs. a normal setup where it runs to the right side or left side so just part of the tube gets some of the radiator air. I'd also be concerned with water when driving with it low like that.

The air box I liked the most was the one DSE did on Dale Jr's second get where they ran it into the wiper cowl. Pressurized clean cool air. His air box had a bunch of holes in it though so it wasn't functional like that though.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:21 PM

Default Backwards?

Can you run the intake backwards and put the filter in the cowl?
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST
Old 06-28-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Agree 100%

Standard & RS header panel combination & use either set of turn signal openings as landing spots for ducting that's wrapped w/heat barrier?
The Following User Says Thank You to ScotI For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (07-01-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 06:55 AM

Agree on the intake tube versus just slapping a filter on it. For me, it's aesthetics. Too many really great installations have been ruined by simply putting a filter on the front of the throttle body.

I like your idea, Marty, but pulling in water would be my concern. I dig Scot's idea. DSE did a great job with Tim's intake for his Camaro by going into the lower front corner and putting holes in the lower valence.

Can you tell me more about the harness wrap you chose? I'm planning to use a weave for the new battery cables I'm running. I just haven't decided on which brand or style.

Also, given all the changes you're making, are you happy you went down this path versus building it this way from the beginning?

Keep up the great work.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
The Following User Says Thank You to WSSix For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (07-01-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 09:04 PM

Hey Marty, your build is looking awesome, keep up the good work! I recently changed up my air filter setup and thought I'd share some details. The setup I was running brought the filter out along the top and just behind the radiator. When I had it tuned, they suggested I get the filter away from the hot air passing thru the radiator (makes sense). I bought a custom setup that puts the filter behind a cover above the driver's side marker light. There's no problem with the cold air intake other then, in my 68 Camaro, there's just simply not enough airflow coming thru to the engine. I love the setup I had built and plan to make mods to keep it but the airflow situation is definitely something to consider. I can tell a huge difference in how the car runs...so much so that I may have to have it re-tuned once I make the necessary changes. My plan is to put a louvered panel in the forward part of the driver inner fender. Hopefully this will allow the airflow needed without bringing in all the water and road debris. Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along fwiw...

Link to my 68 Camaro build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Link to my 67 Nova build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57769
The Following User Says Thank You to Gmachine1911 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Agree on the intake tube versus just slapping a filter on it. For me, it's aesthetics. Too many really great installations have been ruined by simply putting a filter on the front of the throttle body.

I like your idea, Marty, but pulling in water would be my concern. I dig Scot's idea. DSE did a great job with Tim's intake for his Camaro by going into the lower front corner and putting holes in the lower valence.
Initially the filter will get the car going and running. I am not 100% on the idea's in my head so until my brain tells me to stop over thinking then I will work on it. Most likely over the winter as that is when I plan to do the flat hood and the 3 light conversion on the car.

Quote:
Can you tell me more about the harness wrap you chose? I'm planning to use a weave for the new battery cables I'm running. I just haven't decided on which brand or style.
So one of my largest customers sells wire and cable and years and I mean years ago I met the guys from Tech Flex. I have used it many times and it's really nice and it's easy to work with. I actually think Holley is using it on there harness for the Terminator.

Quote:
Also, given all the changes you're making, are you happy you went down this path versus building it this way from the beginning?

Keep up the great work.
After I sold the truck I new I wanted to build a 2nd Gen and I didn't want to go crazy on the build. I just wanted something that was different and I think I succeeded. More important I wanted something that I would have for years as I don't have the time or the money to do a full build again. So when I decided on the camaro I new people would always be coming out with cool new stuff since it's such a popular car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotI View Post
Standard & RS header panel combination & use either set of turn signal openings as landing spots for ducting that's wrapped w/heat barrier?

I like that idea a lot. Originally I was going to use the RS light opening but I have these bad ass billet fog lights from Fesler that I am in love with. I also like what the Dutchboys did on the burgandy 2nd gen which is high on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
Can you run the intake backwards and put the filter in the cowl?
Thought about that however it just didn't look right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
Hey Marty, your build is looking awesome, keep up the good work! I recently changed up my air filter setup and thought I'd share some details. The setup I was running brought the filter out along the top and just behind the radiator. When I had it tuned, they suggested I get the filter away from the hot air passing thru the radiator (makes sense). I bought a custom setup that puts the filter behind a cover above the driver's side marker light. There's no problem with the cold air intake other then, in my 68 Camaro, there's just simply not enough airflow coming thru to the engine. I love the setup I had built and plan to make mods to keep it but the airflow situation is definitely something to consider. I can tell a huge difference in how the car runs...so much so that I may have to have it re-tuned once I make the necessary changes. My plan is to put a louvered panel in the forward part of the driver inner fender. Hopefully this will allow the airflow needed without bringing in all the water and road debris. Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along fwiw...
Funny your car is one of my favorite builds. Maybe it's the color or possible could be that it'a an early 1st gen or it's just simple a cool build.

So I love your intake tube and I have looked at it many times and I am certain mine will look very similar just need to finalize where the air is going to come in. Once the car is running I may order Airaid's U-Build It Intake Tube (( https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aid-100-350 )) just to play around with it.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 07-01-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 PM

Thanks Marty. I've been looking at the Flex Tech offerings. I thought they looked good but just wasn't sure. I also didn't recognize the packing in the picture as their stuff.

Your car gives my inspiration. I think mine will be back down on the ground sometime next month, but I'm nowhere near done. I just want to drive in and upgrade it eventually.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
The Following User Says Thank You to WSSix For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Thanks Marty. I've been looking at the Flex Tech offerings. I thought they looked good but just wasn't sure. I also didn't recognize the packing in the picture as their stuff.

Your car gives my inspiration. I think mine will be back down on the ground sometime next month, but I'm nowhere near done. I just want to drive in and upgrade it eventually.
Thank you for the kind words and I agree about wanting to get the car done and back on the road. However, I think I like the planning, build and toying with the car just as much as I do driving it. Funny the first real drive at home I wasn't sure I like the car after driving a new car. Then I realized it became more about what the car wasn't that I loved so much. Right before I took it apart I spent the night driving it around and it was one of those rare perfect nights where the Moon was shinning and it was so bright it made realize how cool it was driving a car that was so simple and I was blown away how nice it road with the last upgrade that I quickly fell in love with just cruising around and not even going far from home. I think that is when I realized i was going to do the EFI swap and then it morphed into where we are today.

I really love having a car that is so simple that I can work on it and when my daughters come out they can easily understand how it all works.