Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Marty always has to show his is bigger than mine..........
Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Marty. I just went back and read your last post I thought these were the pictures you sent me a couple a weeks ago so I just paned through them . You did'nt tell me about this DSE ordeal ? I do have a question and I'm not trying to be funny here but did you offer to pay for these spring pockets? I'm shocked that DSE would do this !!! If you wanted them for nothing I would tell to go pound sand to! But if you offered to pay and seeing you have everthing else DSE back there I don't understand what the problem is here. I'll have to give you a call when I get some time.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Thanked 1,753 Times in 949 Posts

2nd Chance Camaro - Putting the Car on the Rotisserie

Putting the Car on the Rotisserie
*Posted: Nov Oct 31, 2011 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Time has finally come to get the car on the rotisserie. I really want to see what is hiding under the 40 year old
paint job. Mario from US Collision was kind enough to loan me his rotisserie as we are really trying to keep this car
on a budget.

We made a couple modification to Rotisserie to make sure the car was securely mounted and wouldn't fall on Jay
the media blaster. He's got a family and I wouldn't want to be the guy who's car fell on him crushing him.* First thing
we did was to add legs to the Front End Dolly so we could slide the car onto the lift instead of bolting it directly to the lift.

I purchased the larger tube from a trailer shop. They use it to make trailer hitches so there is no seam on the inside
and it make for a nice tight fit.

Once I hauled the car over to High Speed Welding Dennis quickly made up these support brackets to take the load
off the lower body mounts. It's amazing how much the chassis mounts flexed or should I say bend when it's be
supported by the factory mounts.

Getting the rear on the Rotisserie was pretty easy with the help of a chain hoist and a couple guys from the shop.
However, It did cost me breakfast and yes that is the subframe back from Pro-Tek. Super Clean and getting ready
for some clean up work.

In the rear we used the rear spring shackle mount to anchor the car to the rotisserie.

Four Hours later back in the trailer and heading to Pro-Tek Powder Coating to get stripped off all it's paint.

Dennis also put a couple extra welds on to prevent the car from sliding around. When the car is off the lift for the last
time I will just grind the welds off and it will be back to the way it was when I picked it up from Mario.

www.boommat.com

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 10-14-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM66 View Post
I found this in another post about the front shackles:

"another way is to just flip sides.

The right pocket goes on the inside of the drivers side frame and visa versa. Make mounts for it and reinforce the floor. You have to move the dif and rear mounts in equally too. A better solution would be running a link type suspension."
Yep I ordered up the rear set up from Ride Tech Looks like I am going Coil-Over. Ride Tech customer service is top notch.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Marty. I just went back and read your last post I thought these were the pictures you sent me a couple a weeks ago so I just paned through them . You did'nt tell me about this DSE ordeal ? I do have a question and I'm not trying to be funny here but did you offer to pay for these spring pockets? I'm shocked that DSE would do this !!! If you wanted them for nothing I would tell to go pound sand to! But if you offered to pay and seeing you have everthing else DSE back there I don't understand what the problem is here. I'll have to give you a call when I get some time.
Yep Offered to pay and no dice & I never asked them for anything free. Heck I just spent $2500.00 with them in the last 8 weeks.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Marty always has to show his is bigger than mine..........
Really I am not going to comment here ................

Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM

2nd Chance Camaro - ProTek Powder Coating Time for Media Blasting

ProTek Powder Coating Time for Media Blasting
Posted: Nov Nov 16, 2011 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Good Morning,

The car is in the hands of Jay over at ProTek Media blasting. In a couple days we are finally going to know what is hiding under what's left of the paint.

You can see the car took a small hit on the Drivers Side rear but it*doesn't look to bad.

Mario & I both agreed that I should look for a new rear panel since this one is to far gone. Time to see if Tom from Courtyard Camaro
(( [email protected]*)) *has a NOS piece he is willing to sell. If you need Camaro parts he is your guy.

We've got a few holes to fix*from previous body work.

Really, right on the body line - that stinks.

pictures hosted by www.garagescene.net

Last edited by syborg tt; 10-14-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 PM

Looking good Marty! As much crap as I give you I really love this build. Can't wait to see this done.
Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to 65 347 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (10-14-2021)
Old 11-17-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
2nd Chance Camaro - Size Does Matter - Which in the end might not Matter

Size Does Matter- Which in the end might not Matter

Posted: Nov 04, 2011 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Last week I was looking at the tires stored in Mario's 69 Camaro. I couldn't help but notice that his tire looked skinny compared to the 335 BFG tire sitting in my garage. I kept telling Mario that my 335 was much bigger then his 345 and he said no way. So I took his tire home to find out if I was correct. I figured a side by side test would be the only way to prove that the BFG KDW 2 are indeed bigger.

Left: BFG 335 35 18 ( 14" Wide )
Middle: Michelin 345 __ 19 ( 13" Wide )
Right: BFG 295 35 18 ( 12" Wide )

Close up of the BFG 335 & Michelin 345 -- The BFG is 1" Wider

Close Up of the Michelin 345 & the BFG 295 -- Not much of a difference

The BFG 335 height compared to the BFG 295 - you can see the difference is much greater

Also the height is much taller on the Michelin.

The plan has to been to run the 295's on the street and the 335's for Good-Guys events. In the end I may only be able to run the 295 on the back of 2nd Chance Camaro because I can't get the bracket from DSE.

Why you ask ?
The Mini-Tubs I purchased from DSE will fit the 335's. However, since I didn't buy there complete leaf spring conversion kit I am unable to purchase the front offset sping pocket I need to complete the conversion. Where I am confused is I can buy offset shackle & spring perch's but not the lower spring pocket - odd. I had the Allen (really nice sales guy) ask Kyle if I could purchase them and Kyle said no dice which kinda sucks.

So now I may be forced to run only the 295's full time. So Buyer Beware if buy the DSE Mini-Tubs you are going to have to make your own lower mounts for the front or by one of there 3 kits DSE offers. Sometimes you
win sometimes you lose.

I do have a couple Options

Option A:
Buy there Mini-Tub Kit # 041221 $1699.00 which doesn't include Leaf Springs & Shocks which will give you an 1.5" drop and then sell the other parts you don't need. Seems expensive but it's only money and you can't take it with you.

Option B:
Would be to have a local fab shop make a set of offset shackle mounts to complete the conversion. If I go this route I will make a couple extra to help out the two other guys I know that are in the same boat as me.
Marty bring the car down I can move the frame rail in so you can run the 335.or you can install the new ridetech 4-bar rear suspension which will let you run a 335 also.Call me Bud.

Last edited by coolwelder62; 11-17-2011 at 07:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to coolwelder62 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (10-14-2021)
Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwelder62 View Post
Marty bring the car down I can move the frame rail in so you can run the 335.or you can install the new ridetech 4-bar rear suspension which will let you run a 335 also.Call me Bud.
Thank you for the offer brother you are the best.

However the Good news is I am dropping the car off at High Speed Welding Monday morning for them to move the sping pocket over & finish the exhaust & the Bike rack.