Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 05-13-2012, 08:29 PM

Thanks-I had assumed that was your take but wondered. I need to train myself to look way out in time and forget the noise as you've mentioned. The media tries its best to magnify every up and down in the market.

Investing......

Wes
Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparCar View Post
Thanks-I had assumed that was your take but wondered. I need to train myself to look way out in time and forget the noise as you've mentioned. The media tries its best to magnify every up and down in the market.

Investing......

Wes

Investing isn't gambling.... Yeah - market goes up - market goes down.... but if you look at those long term charts... then you learn to ignore the noise because that's all just a distraction.

Look at it like you bought a large class A apartment complex... it's paying you good cash flow... You don't trade that just because the market is off this year, it's still paying you to own it.

This is why I say "buy best of breed" stuff that you don't have to follow the market value every day - or even every month. While I look - listen and learn - and keep my eye on the ball --- It's more just to occupy my time than looking to see that I'm down $2.00 on a $100.00 stock "today". The day after I sell at $98 -- it'll jump to $101. In the meantime - it's paying me $5.00 a year just to own it. After 10 years I've taken $50 out of the stock -- and after 10 years it's most likely worth $175....

People that want to get rich quick are always in the poorhouse.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 AM

In checking some names this morning - that I own.... I noticed only a couple were trading in the green... One of which is Kimberly Clark (KMB). With all the excitement around Facebook etc which is "fun".... and KMB has to rank right up there in the super boring range. BUT -- Always a big BUT -- Year to date Kimberly Clark is UP 8.16% --- AND it pays 3.72% dividend!

That is how - over time - you get ahead.

Not recommending the name -- I am just using it as another example of this theory of getting paid to watch and wait - and getting growth etc out of great, best of breed names, and sleeping well at night too. Boring? Yeah - pretty much... but FUN too when you're making money on your money.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
In checking some names this morning - that I own.... I noticed only a couple were trading in the green... One of which is Kimberly Clark (KMB). With all the excitement around Facebook etc which is "fun".... and KMB has to rank right up there in the super boring range. BUT -- Always a big BUT -- Year to date Kimberly Clark is UP 8.16% --- AND it pays 3.72% dividend!

That is how - over time - you get ahead.

Not recommending the name -- I am just using it as another example of this theory of getting paid to watch and wait - and getting growth etc out of great, best of breed names, and sleeping well at night too. Boring? Yeah - pretty much... but FUN too when you're making money on your money.
I was starting to research last night.. for my next two purchases.. and KMB is one i have my eye closely on.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Morning Guys.

The Noise is going to get LOUDER and Scary...

Short term, which I am not a short term Investor, will be Bearish and Volatile..

These are the Times I go off and do other things..My health won't let me go crazy yet, but I am not worrying, and I am not taking any big risks right now..

Also I am not following things closely , because it is not worth it..If you have set a course, and you are looking down the road, I think it will all work itself out.

Plenty of stuff to keep me busy, and I am waiting on the opportunity to pick up more stocks, not sell.. I know people have been buying lately, and that is fine, but I am waiting because i think I will get a better deal.

Too many of my friends never listen to me and sell low,in a panic mode..

I am never a seller, unless I want to..The noise and the crazy market do not dictate when i sell..I do..

So plan your course, and keep the Bow into the wind...

That is why having Dead Presidents, Cash , is so important...It makes you not have to sell low, and it makes you have the funds to buy more when the time is right..

Otherwise cash is only for food and daily needs and Butt wipe..

Soon to be crazy
Old 05-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucketlist2012 View Post
Otherwise cash is only for food and daily needs and Butt wipe..
Hey Mike! hope your feelin better...

I'm sittin waitin for whatever I "feel" as the bottom for when to decide to toss in my hat on another 2 purchases.

And, your right.. cant live without butt wipe... (another KMB reference) hahah

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
Hey Mike! hope your feelin better...

I'm sittin waitin for whatever I "feel" as the bottom for when to decide to toss in my hat on another 2 purchases.

And, your right.. cant live without butt wipe... (another KMB reference) hahah
Well the joke is, the bad news is I am not feeling so good...But the good news, is that I have enough for the rest of my Life if I don't last many years....

Actually I have "planned " the portfolio to last me 30 plus years at the comfort level I am now, But I don't think I am going to make it.. If I do, then I am covered...If not, someone else,My Wife, is rich...

More good news is that if i don't feel better in the next few years, an AMG is going to be purchased...CPO of course, I couldn't take the hit of a new car , even if i can afford it...It would kill me,hahaha

I try to keep a good attitude and crack jokes about it...Whining is so not in my personality...I have always been a joker and a motivator..

Soon to be crazy
Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 AM

Gotta love them dividends!! Sell in May and go away??? No Way... not when they pay!!

HAHAHAHAHA --- I'm quite the rhymer!

I'm NOT trying to show you "my" income here.... what I'm trying to do is to entice you - urge you - spur you on.... and also prove to you, by showing you that these dividends keep on coming - down market / up market / market noise / eurozone bank troubles.... WHO CARES.... this is real money that either buys (reinvested) more shares paying you even more dividend which buys more shares ---- Or you live off them like Mike and I do. Just depends on where you are in life.

05/15/2012 (NNN) NATIONAL RETAIL PPTYS REIT
type: ORD DIV - CASH
$2,695.00
05/15/2012 (KMP) KINDER MORGAN ENERGY LP UNIT LTD PARTNERSHIP INT
$7,200.00
05/15/2012 (EEP) ENBRIDGE ENERGY PTNRS LP
$5,325.00
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Gotta love them dividends!! Sell in May and go away??? No Way... not when they pay!!

HAHAHAHAHA --- I'm quite the rhymer!

I'm NOT trying to show you "my" income here.... what I'm trying to do is to entice you - urge you - spur you on.... and also prove to you, by showing you that these dividends keep on coming - down market / up market / market noise / eurozone bank troubles.... WHO CARES.... this is real money that either buys (reinvested) more shares paying you even more dividend which buys more shares ---- Or you live off them like Mike and I do. Just depends on where you are in life.

05/15/2012 (NNN) NATIONAL RETAIL PPTYS REIT
$2,695.00
05/15/2012 (KMP) KINDER MORGAN ENERGY LP UNIT LTD PARTNERSHIP INT
$7,200.00
05/15/2012 (EEP) ENBRIDGE ENERGY PTNRS LP
$5,325.00

FORGOT TO REMIND YOU THAT DIVIDENDS COME FOUR -- COUNT 'EM -- FOUR TIMES PER YEAR!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 AM

Okay -- ONE more post because it's relevant given todays dividend post etc.... and more importantly -- the "downer" market we've been having (typical by the way in May).

Please go to Google Finance -- link pasted here -- and look at this chart. This is simply an EXAMPLE being used - since it just paid me a nice dividend....

What I want you to do is to click the "ALL" time frame (top of the chart) to expand (zoom) the time frame out... NOTE the SPLITS (2 for 1 --- TWICE!) and the line from left to right....

Now -- Note the DOWN blips in the chart... and ask yourself where you'd be had you BOUGHT then. Now note the HUGE dip where the world was coming to an end -- the sky was falling ('08).... and please note that had you bought THEN you'd have DOUBLED your money since....

I AM NOT recommending this stock! I'm using this chart because it's so typical and I'm trying to get you to understand that all the "noise" is just that.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:KMP