User Name
Password

Old 12-17-2020, 07:04 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,766 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkswede View Post
Hey Marty,

You’re a busy man! Love the write-up, all of the detail, your organization and attention to detail (and nice find on the tool boxes, they work perfectly for all you wiring materials). Does the Holley EFI tank use one of their hydromats for fuel pickup? If not, is it baffled to avoid fuel starvation? I used a Rick’s Resto-mod tank in my Chevy II, which has corner pick ups, though they say they really aren’t necessary with the OEM fuel modules used in those ranks. Thanks,

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Brian I appreciate the kind words.

Yep it has one of the very small hydromats and yes the tank is baffled. The good news is am building the car to cruise around in, haul my bike to the trail and to do the Power Tour/GG Road Tour. I have a Cayman R for track and autocross that is significantly faster, smaller and safer.

This car is my therapy vs going to an actually therapist. In the end it may have cost me the same but now at least I have something I can enjoy everyday.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 12-17-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
Marty, I'm not sure you'd have enough room for the radiator to 'move' as it heats and cools down with the side to side mounts. You may need some wiggle room there so the radiator doesn't crack somewhere. Maybe take a look on a modern cars cooling system. There should be 'pins' on the radiator that go into usually large grommets. Just a thought.

Eventually I’m going to be installing 3/4” well nuts on the upper mounts. Do you think that will be enough ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 12-18-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Eventually I’m going to be installing 3/4” well nuts on the upper mounts. Do you think that will be enough ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm definitely not an expert. Just had mine leak due to this exact thing. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows more. I think Steilow also mentions it somewhere in his thread.

Maybe contact the radiator manufacturer to get their thoughts?
Old 12-18-2020, 09:31 AM

Here is the way AutoRad does it. The bolt cinches down tight on the short shaft collar, squeezes the o-ring a bit (not a lot - it mostly floats in the large hole in the rad), allowing the radiator to be captured but still float. Food for thought.
Name:  20180316_202522.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  20201218_082417[1].jpg
Views: 0
Size:  80.2 KB

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
The Following User Says Thank You to Goosesdad For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosesdad View Post
Here is the way AutoRad does it. The bolt cinches down tight on the short shaft collar, squeezes the o-ring a bit (not a lot - it mostly floats in the large hole in the rad), allowing the radiator to be captured but still float. Food for thought.
Attachment 73518

Attachment 73519
Here is what I plan to use. (( Well nut to scale ))
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2020, 01:11 PM

Andrew you rock !!!

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Great update!

Marty, you might want to use some Permatex Aviation sealer with the cork gaskets. Napa usually has it in stock.

Andrew
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2020, 05:43 PM

So I did a little research and found that a Radiator thermal expansion can be as much as 3mm which should easily be covered by the well nuts in all directions. The well nuts I have are 3/4" so this should allow for plenty of movement.

What's your thoughts guys ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosesdad View Post

Old 12-18-2020, 06:41 PM

I think that's what I was told as well. About 3mm of swelling. The bottom being in the factory saddle isolators and one of the well type bushings on each side that allows for movement in all directions should be ok, but again, just guessing. It needs to be able to move without moving too much.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:11 PM

I'm surprised you left the fuel tank silver. It's a Tanks Inc tank which is what I have on my TA. I have it coated in a satin black to hide it away.

You'll need to make sure you ground the sender to the car if it's not mentioned in the directions.

Doing great work, Marty. Thanks for sharing!

I didn't coat my cork gaskets in anything. Should I have?

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims

Last edited by WSSix; 12-18-2020 at 08:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WSSix For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-19-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Radiator thermal expansion can be as much as 3mm which should easily be covered by the well nuts in all directions.

What's your thoughts guys ?
ALL DIRECTIONS is important cos twisting of the radiator support panel occurs when u enter an uphill driveway at an angle (one front wheel up to bump). This twist will also tear a radiator apart.

Well Nuts are good but painful to hold the rubber from turning, gripping with MULTIGRIPS will tear the brass insert from the rubber. Lube the thread and don't over tighten.
My suggestion would be wiring grommets and fender washers in top holes with Nyloc nuts barely tight...... and a rubber support pad in a bottom channel.

Last edited by Beechy; 12-19-2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Nyloc
The Following User Says Thank You to Beechy For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-19-2020)